Less thinking more doing!

I agree - think roasted veg will feature heavily in my diet over the autumn and winter at least.

DH, DS and his friend had a Chinese take-away last night - didn't bother me in the slightest. Didn't even have one prawn cracker! I think not having one prawn cracker is the key though - I love them and think when I had the taste of one that would've been it. It is definitely easier for me to have no crisps etc. I don't seem to feel deprived if I have none but if I had some...that is a different matter.

I'm not recording anything at the moment (I know I am getting my HxA and HxB and that my syns are coming in less than 10) but...think I may start in a different format...as this could very well be a slippery slope. Also, whilst SW is my base diet I am tweaking it with a more life-long perspective - trying to find what works effortless for me. Interestingly it is by adding in extra rules for the average day (as in crisps). I unwittingly did that during first year at uni, whilst in halls, I decided that I would never had chips or a pudding in the dining hall. I also stuck to porridge & grapefruit for breakfast. It became habit very quickly and then I didn't think about it. I stated uni at 10 st and by the end of the first term think I was just over 9 st (my ideal weight)(I did take up jogging too though!) despite not being careful outside of the dining room particularly.

I'm really trying to mentally drum home to myself that this isn't a 'fixed term diet'. I in a transition period where I am teaching myself how my mind and body really works with regards to food alongside increasing my repertoire of tasty healthy meals (and finding the odd rare gem that both DH and DS may eat!) - it will be trial and error.

I'm going to attempt to post my mini goal list in a minute...

Mini goals - I like to have a lot!

BMI 20.85 is supposed to the average most attractive/ideal BMI...I'm not really aiming for that but think that is the point this mini target thing should definitely end.

I'm not sure my final goal weight lies within the last block at all, now I am older, it has to be realistic! I will be beyond delighted to get back into block 2... 3.... 4 and stay in block 4 tbh.

Anyway, one goal at a time - I am currently 1 lb away from meeting the next one (well two/three as it happens...they're going to be a bit like buses at points - several arriving at a time and then having to wait a whole 4 lbs until the next one!) and I'm just focusing on that :)

Block 1 - Obese II

Block 2 - Obese II

Block 3 - Overweight

Block 4 - Normal

Block 5 - Ideal

Last edited:
and just because I have the time now and I'm putting off the housework...my weight history...

2016:

40th Birthday until now:

from Old heaviest ever (and when I started keeping a proper record) until now:

With historical weights I know added in:

I've been yo-yoing all my adult life basically...and ever increasing weights. Time to change PROPERLY!

The dress and jacket have just arrived.

I am thrilled (seriously) to say that the dress is really comfortable and actually looks pretty nice - even on my sz 18 figure. The jacket is super comfy too - not an exact match navy but looks fine (you were right Torn_Tranquility!). I'm keeping both anyway. Tempted to get another dress but...actually, there is an argument for buying more now - whilst I will still get another few months use of them rather than waiting another month...umm...no, I'll wait - next outfit will need to be for the wedding.

The black top will be another couple of days, and I think that will be fine. I ordered a red cardigan about 5 minutes after the rest. 5 minutes clearly made a big difference because that was despatched a day later.

Pity that I'm on holiday for another week so won't be able to wear it to work (no, actually not a pity!).

Buying decent clothes in a sz 18 is a big shift for me, which is why I am, perhaps, going on about it a bit too much. It is new! Buying a skirt last month and a dress this month is a major change.

Hi Zeke - I WISH I'd managed to lose weight as as Fresher! I think I can blame most of my gains on alcohol rather than food, though. I know exactly what you mean about "abstaining" from food items - I'm the same, if I have a bit, I just want more sometimes.

Glad the clothes look good! Ir's such a great feeling, actually being comfortable and confident in something. x

Yes, alcohol! HA! After first year I spent the rest of uni yo-yoing between 10 st and 11 st...thinking 11 st was desperately fat - I would feel like twiggy to be that weight now!

I think alcohol has had a bigger impact on my weight in the last 8 years - almost daily drinking of wine, rather than the weekly binges at uni. DH normalised it, not that I am blaming him, I drank it. Again, it is easier for me to just not have it - so that's what I am doing (apart from special occasions).

Thank you - I am super pleased about the clothes. I've kept looking at all these clothes, all these years, thinking 'I'll get that when I am a size 12/14'. The time is now though - got to stop being so mean to myself (counselling coming out now!).

Just had a lovely stirfry with steamed salmon and now enjoying a glass of tonic - in my new balloon cocktail glasses - makes it feel special.

Well, after my relaxed day, I had decided to have a glass or few of wine. OH said not to buy a bottle, as we had some homemade left at home. It's bloody awful!!! I will have this one glass of slightly sparkling, non-bodied liquid labelled as Merlot- then back to cherries and berries squash, I suppose. Disappointed doesn't come close... Especially as one of my fav wines is on offer. And I simply can't be arsed to walk to the shop!

Well, after my relaxed day, I had decided to have a glass or few of wine. OH said not to buy a bottle, as we had some homemade left at home. It's bloody awful!!! I will have this one glass of slightly sparkling, non-bodied liquid labelled as Merlot- then back to cherries and berries squash, I suppose. Disappointed doesn't come close... Especially as one of my fav wines is on offer. And I simply can't be arsed to walk to the shop!

Ugh - that would be a massive disappointment. A treat needs to be a treat! Probably just as well you couldn't be arsed to walk to the shops.

Are you working at the weekend or will you get a chance to relax (get some sleep!)?

Although I daily weigh - Saturday is my official weekly weigh-in. I am very pleased to announce:

* I lost 4 lbs this week
* I have now met mini goals 6, 7 and 8

There is something about going sub 210 lbs (15 st) that make me feel like I have properly started. It was the weight that back in 2010 I vowed never to go over - and I didn't for 6 years...until 2016 :(. Now I am below it again (this isn't the first time in 2016)- I vow never to go over it again. Some mini goals are more significant that others and I would say that is a significant one. Anyway, at least that phase is over again (but this time for good).

Next mini goal is #9 (1 stone lost) and next significant mini goal is #11 (201.4 lbs - lowest point in 2016 - so where my last diet went wrong, think it is reasonable to expect to go below that before the end of 2016).

Now I have done something really silly and sat down for too long first thing in the morning. My back won't like that...so need to go and lie down for 10 mins - then housework!

Joy of daily weighing - I'm up a pound - no reason (I've been 100% honest), just normal fluctuation. Oh and I developed a cold in the night - YAY!

On a more positive note, I gave the kitchen a good clean yesterday afternoon and it was lovely to come down to this morning. Hoping now the kitchen is in good order now I will be inspired today to make some new SW things in there...

Just popping in to say well done on that loss Zeke .. that's a big one and despite the bit of a gain I'm sure it's one of those bloat things .. most probably be gone again tomorrow as you say.
Hope the cold soon goes.

I always love it when my home help has been and everywhere is cleaned and dusted .. not able for that these days unfortunately.

A section of my 'predictions' spreadsheet, up until Christmas eve:

I want to start the new year under 200 lbs - I think that is a reasonable given that I will have the odd meal off between now and then (Birthdays, wedding, xmas).

and my updated Phase 1 Mini Goals...

I've also coloured and uncoloured parts of my graph. It highlights that fact that I have spent most of the last two year above 200 lbs, how little time I have spent under 180 lbs in the last 6 years, and how epic it will be for me to get under 160 lbs again and last but not least, how reaching a sensible goal and staying there or close to it is unprecedented.

I knew all of that though...

Had a good declutter & tidy of the porch and under that stairs this afternoon - and treated myself to a cordless vac for downstairs. Got the decluttering & sorting bug now so may do some more...

Gone up another pound today o_O

Not putting that down to a fluctuation. I think it is a combination of mid-cycle water retention and some syn slippage yesterday. Time to record properly again.

Also, need to do 'less thinking and more doing' - so plan to get plenty of stuff done today/get out the house and do something!

Tried YO Sushi for the first time today! Very good! No idea about syns but it was all low cal so that will do.

Had a nice day window shopping with my son - with a view to buying some things online later. We live in a small town - we have two larger shopping towns/cities (type with a marks and spencer, Waterstones etc) about 30 mins away and the very large shopping places (places with a John Lewis & Ikea etc) are 1 hr away. We caught the train and had a good look around John Lewis and Ikea before getting completely shopped out. Don't know how people do it every week!

I need to re-think the SW thing. Maybe. I'll have to come back to this...

I've gone down 0.8 lbs this morning - (but still 1.2 lbs up from low point on Saturday) pretty sure it is mid-cycle bloat.

I think it would be fair to say I didn't follow SW yesterday and just ate healthily with the odd mini treat.

NEW RULES:

1. No alcohol at all during the average week (already doing this)
2. Stop reporting on daily weight fluctuations in here, even weekly ones aren't that useful. Just meeting the next mini goal will do.
3. Reduce sugars and artificial sweeteners
4. Exercise
5. Eat lots of veg
6. Stop grazing (on anything other than veg)
7. Record what you eat (occasionally do a MFP check)
8. Drink water before food/drink plenty of water
9. Drink Coffee black
10. Think of all of this as a permanent change rather than a diet

I've ordered myself the 'YO Sushi' cookbook and the 'I quit sugar' book. DS was super keen on the sushi, so hoping I have hit on a winner there for both of us.

I think both of these things are compatible with slimming world (not the mullerlight, sugar free jelly, diet coke, mug shot version, of course, but the basic principles).

You'll have to let me know if it's any good. We don't eat much sushi, but are both fans, so could be good to include some more. I try to limit the amount of sweeteners that I have, but I am aware that I'm having a lot more than I used to, pre-slimming world. I've found myself having Mug-Shots again, which is not a habit I want to get into! I now remember why I wanted a bigger kitchen... need a full size fridge to store lots of soup and go-to things now the weather is cooler. From my understanding, a lot of the quitting sugar principles involve using natural sweeteners, such as honey and dates. It always shocks me how high syn things like that are; I'm quite interested in some of the raw food principles, but everything seems to be very syn-ful according to SW. It's annoying that there is so much confusing and conflicting information out there.

Back