Let me be a warning of what happens when you don't follow the plan

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
It has been interesting coming back and reading over old and new threads. One thing that has really struck me is how many posts I have read where people say oh I don't syn my . . . . whatever it is and then in the next breath say the plan isn't working. Try sticking to the plan's rules and see if the weight comes off then. I put back on the weight when I allowed myself an extra something or other here and there eg a small slice of wholemeal bread or a 3 crackerbread extra because i was hungry or a fruit juice at a training event. The result of doing this . . . 2 stone gain and back to square one. Follow the plan in order to follow your heart's desire to be thinner and healthier .

Thanks for that Brightonrosie - so so true. The weight creeps up slowly with every little 'cheat' till before you know it you're at square one.

I am a prime example of this - I reckon I follow the plan 95% of the time but now I have lost the bulk of my weight, I need to be 100% to get to target.

We had a different consultant this week as ours was ill and a few of us were going to our book group that night where there is a scrummy buffet. The visiting consultant said that if we ate all sorts that we shouldn't then if we dont lose next week .....don't moan about it and it's harsh, but so so true.

I am not a picker, so am not guilty of the 'oh I had a couple of biscuits' type scenario, but I most definitley do the ''well it's only one little dollop of mayo''. SW refunds money when people start if they stick to the plan 100% and don't lose. I bet they have never had to give the money back lol.

Very true Rosie. It's the treat night, night off, etc which gets me!!!

We have very successful members at our group. When asked their secret, they stick to the plan, nothing else!

Good to see you back :)

I have always had a treat/cheat night but still managed to lose, but I do now acknowledge that once target approaches, something has to go and thats what has gone, apart from where the situation has been unavoidable - ie, if I am on a meal out.

Some members at our class go home after WI and eat ALL day long and then wonder why they haven't lost, which does irritate me. x

I done really well on sw a year and a half ago....I stopped, put half the weight back on and started on faddy diets (low carb etc). I rejoined 2 weeks ago and feel so strong about the future. Truth is, whether it's not counting syns or half doing the plan, it all comes down to the same thing...you are in denial and you will never get over your food issues if you half-ars@ it. Sw is the best healthy eating plan going, I truly believe that. xx

Obviously your paying for a certain plan so tweaking it then moaning it doesn't work is stupid. BUT I've done enough diets to know that cutting an odd corner really isn't the end of the world. Provided you use your common blooming sense!!! Let's be honest.....if you can eat unlimited white pasta for lunch then an extra few grams of oats poured when your running late and can't find a scale....isn't really going to kill your diet!!! Just don't do it everyday!! And don't do the greedy thing of pouring a huge portion and saying 'oh that's about right' even when you know it's not!!! Common sense is key!!

then an extra few grams of oats poured when your running late and can't find a scale....isn't really going to kill your diet!!! Just don't do it everyday!! And don't do the greedy thing of pouring a huge portion and saying 'oh that's about right' even when you know it's not!!! Common sense is key!!

Can't find the scales.... even after 5 years of SW my scales still live on my worktop and I still weigh my oats. I can't gauge 35g of oats or 30g of cheese!!!

Common sense may be key, but all the little extras do indeed add up, unlimited pasta or not :)

I think the thing is we all know the plan. I always follow properly counting things which should be counted and weighing things that need to be weighed.

However I'm not perfect, sometimes I go out and have a few extra drinks, or like Monday is little ones Birthday and I'm going to pizza hut, worked out I'll be having between 69 and 87 syns, so I'm holding back on some syns the rest of the week... I'm not following the plan properly and I know that so if I gain this week I know exactly why!

We all have off days but letting things slip in on a weekly or daily basis is a very bad idea.

jaylou said:
Can't find the scales.... even after 5 years of SW my scales still live on my worktop and I still weigh my oats. I can't gauge 35g of oats or 30g of cheese!!!

Common sense may be key, but all the little extras do indeed add up, unlimited pasta or not :)

Nothing lives on my counters if it cant fit in a cupboard. My son like to take anything electrical apart to see how it works. So i often cant find things that I've hidden a bit too well!!

If you can't gauge volumes easily then maybe buy a ring of plastic cup measures. Weigh the food out then see which cup they fit in. You'll soon remember which is for what if you have things on a daily basis. I use cups as a pretty accurate measure for lots of stuff as cups never run out of battery! I'm lucky in that I'm a very kinaesthetic person and I have no concept of what 28g of something looks like but I know what a level tablespoonful looks like!!

I make my own cups for measures which are not regular size - weigh what ever it is then put in plastic botte (with top cut off) mark round the bottle then cut to size - tidy the top edge with tape.

Tried the cup thing, don't trust it as much as an electronic scale. Each to their own!!!!!

Totally agree brightenrosie. I have seen many people getting rather irritated when a member points out that what they are doing is tweak to the slimming world plan (and not just on here, might I add) and then those are the same people who then a weeks or so later are saying the plan is not working for them.

The plan only works properly if you give 100% and while a small tweak here and there doesn't have a major effect most of the time, eventually those tweaks do add up, because they cause you to slip back int old habits which got us overweight in the first place.

I'm a control freak so I follow the plan as hard as I can...the only reason why I have failed all these years is that I've perhaps had a day off to treat myself something. That's turned into a week and then a month etc....
I've had amazing losses with this plan....even more so now I'm with the group. The only time I had these loses was when I was starving myself through an anorexic phase and living off under 100 calories a day! And I've never eaten better in my life!

Back