Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Monday 10th March

Vegetarianism

Now I freely admit that I have always seen vegetarians (and more so vegans) as being akin to another race, possibly another genus in the biology of things. Until I watched a documentary on netflix this morning. Vegucated is an American documentary that takes three meat eating New Yorkers and challenges them to live 6 weeks as a vegan. Now I'm not going that far BUT some of the footage in that documentary (I'm not going to describe it so no need to turn away now) was enough to make me swear, on the spot, to give up meat and to some extent dairy and eggs although with them it will be more about reducing them than not eating them at all. I actually cried it was so harrowing. All this from a confirmed carnivore. I have written a post in the off topic section asking for advice on suitable SW friendly swaps and I'm hoping that it will be relatively painless as I only have quorn sausages already so for me its finding mostly a chicken alternative and giving up ham. I swapped to exclusively green and herbal tea ages ago so have very little milk, I eat one yoghurt a day with my breakfast fruit. Eggs on the other hand....well suffice to say it has been tempting to get a couple of chickens in the past, put it like that.

I have never been so profoundly affected by a programme before. The only thing that has affected me this badly in terms of changing dietary habits were 2013s holiday snaps. Helllooo slimming world!!

So scrap red weekends and bring on the green days ending in Y. I need to brush up on those now....

This is on my netflix list... I can't bring myself to watch it as my brother no longer eats meat after watching it last year! I love meat and the fact that the meat substitutes are largely quite processed, holds me back from making the jump. It may remain on my list for a while longer... x

Don't watch it if you are not ready to make the leap because I can promise you that if you do you will HAVE to make the change. I can't imagine anyone watching it and continuing to eat an abundance of meat in good conscience. Unless you have a heart of stone. Its one of those things....would I unwatch it if I could? No probably not but I should have read up on it first. I was unprepared. I hid behind a blanket and actually sobbed. Sitting there all by myself :(.

There is a nasty little virus doing the rounds at the moment, that causes continuous headaches for up to a week. It also makes you feel drained and generally awful... One of my daughters had it about a month ago and a friend only last week :(

I grew up as a country girl in a farming community, so I'm under no illusions about factory farming practices or the realities of where our meat comes from ... but I just can't quite give up meat (I eat very little dairy and no eggs - mainly because I'm not keen on either though, so it's hardly taking a moral stand).

Maybe that's what I've got/had then. It seems to be passing now and it's been a week tomorrow. Nasty whatever it is!!!

Nope still not well. :( grrr

wi tomorrow and am concerned the codeine has slowed my system down. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Feel rotten after a full day at school and want to lie down. Although another full green day done and REALLY enjoyed my chickpea burgers. Mmmm. Definitely a winner for me.

Thanks :) I keep feeling better and think yay then...nooo. Its a bummer. :( day off tomorrow with little one so aiming for some fresh air methinks x

Yes I had a similar virus before Christmas, kept coming back and forth. Rest is the best thing.....easier said than done though!!!! :eek:

Yes I had a similar virus before Christmas, kept coming back and forth. Rest is the best thing.....easier said than done though!!!! :eek:

ha yes. Much easier said than done indeed!!!

So it was a STS this week which is slightly disappointing because I am in exactly the same place as I was last week. Right on the cusp of the next lb and was so sure that would guarantee a loss this week but it was not to be. I've been taking quite strong painkillers this week and also have had enough symptoms of a faux period (don't get real ones due to implant but get all the negative symptoms like water retention) to know that won't have helped. I suppose its better than a gain in that respect then! I also swapped to exclusively green days this week and so maybe having the extra hex will take some adjustment for my system.

Maybe this means a guaranteed loss NEXT week instead...I live in hope!!!

Ah Iis frustrating to see asts, but sounds like it could be your body and also getting used to green days. A sts is good though way better than a gain! Well done!

Thanks!! I've given up sugar for lent too and think having more savoury snacks and meal additions isn't helping with the water problem. Hopefully my body adjusts quick...in hindsight I have thrown a few changes at it this past week alone. It's only reasonable to expect a time lapse to catch up!!

I find that codeine completely throws my body out of whack :( Just taking it for a day or two has a knock on effect that lasts up to a fortnight for heavens sake - it's ridiculous! :eek:

I've noticed nothing shifts when you're not well. It's a daft theory of mine that your body hangs on to every calorie in an effort to fight off whatever it is you've got (even though you might have eaten less). I suspect as you say that next week will be a better week :)

I've noticed nothing shifts when you're not well. It's a daft theory of mine that your body hangs on to every calorie in an effort to fight off whatever it is you've got (even though you might have eaten less). I suspect as you say that next week will be a better week :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Jeanne, I think you have a point.i don't think it's a coincidence that I've put on 4 stones during the past 18 months while being ill. Something definitely happens
To our bodies.......Some sort of survival thing maybe? Don't get me wrong, I've eaten naughty food too.......but not enough to warrant that much gain :mad: We all need a lottery win........and a year on a health farm.........in the Seychelles haha xx

:thinking2:I'd 'make do' by with a mil and a personal trainer like Hugh Jackman........

If you want one "like" Hugh Jackman I'll take the real thing if he's going spare? He would have to leave the wolverine hands at home though....won't be needed them! ;)

Maybe that's a point about illness. Maybe, like pregnancy your body becomes a magnet for nutrients. Both good and not so good. Something to do with the hunter gatherer days no doubt. I don't know, those cave men, forever buggering up my weightloss attempts....

Morning LTL just wanted to say how good your advice was on the lady who was stuck at a certain weight. You gave her things to think about and also made her realise that she was changing the plan to suit her but didn't come across as harsh. Hopefully she will listen!

Thanks! Suspect not though. Unless she joins a meeting or similar because the fundamental lack of knowledge about the basics was what was holding her back so I presume she doesn't go or went some time ago and has forgotton. At the end of the day it can be hard to fit it all in but if you want it enough....

Back