Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Funnily enough, Aldi is one thing we do get over here! However, I will not go & get garlic bread - this would be a very slippery slope.

Some people on minimins swear by a weight watchers baguette which is a HEX B or something, which can be made into garlic bread. I have no idea, as WW baguettes we don't get over here! It may be an almost innocent option though?

The little petit pains?! They're an incredible HExB (small but WHITE!) - I've tried the garlic bread version and although decent, it's just not the same ;) xx

I only have it rarely but theirs is sooooo good. So garlicky it almost burns!! Mmmm

Haha what does auto correct know that you are not telling us hmmm?

I have to say I must be back in the right mind set because I'm not even truthfully fazed by the prospect of an STS or even a mini gain tomorrow after Monday indulgence. Mainly because I know that next week it will be rectified and like everyone says it's the bigger picture that counts and you can't shy away from life in the meantime. In the past that meal would have led to sweet naughties in the evening and a downward spiral. I think I have realised that one meal won't lead to nearly 4st going back on overnight. Happy days :)

Haha what does auto correct know that you are not telling us hmmm?

I have to say I must be back in the right mind set because I'm not even truthfully fazed by the prospect of an STS or even a mini gain tomorrow after Monday indulgence. Mainly because I know that next week it will be rectified and like everyone says it's the bigger picture that counts and you can't shy away from life in the meantime. In the past that meal would have led to sweet naughties in the evening and a downward spiral. I think I have realised that one meal won't lead to nearly 4st going back on overnight. Happy days :)

Great - that's exactly the right outlook to have. Life happens, enjoy without guilt​ and get back on plan at the earliest opportunity.

Exactly that ^^

Its about not making excuses to celebrate/commiserate/indulge and about totally appreciating the times where you can and want to have a treat. It makes it feel more special then too. Hark at me calling a pizza special. Used to have them weekly before.

Last edited:
Hope you dont mind but i am following your diary with interest as i too have recently given up or am trying to give up meat. im enjoying the veggie life so far but i know i will probably have the old slip up on the way :)

No by all means...and Hi!

I'm enjoying it actually as it's forcing me to be more creative and have some different foods. We were badly stuck in the chicken and SW chips rut. This had been great for boosting my superfree intake too!!

Tonight I'm going to have some of the Jack Monroe veggie curry and brown rice. I might knock up a soup for lunch too :) it's my day off today so I can do some cooking

Thanks :) and yeah i totally agree about being creative, we too lived on chicken in various marinades with SW chips whereas now i have something different every night and eat more superfree than i did on EE which is weird as superfree considered more important on EE.

Curry sounds nice-might have to hunt for the recipie online

Thanks :) and yeah i totally agree about being creative, we too lived on chicken in various marinades with SW chips whereas now i have something different every night and eat more superfree than i did on EE which is weird as superfree considered more important on EE.

Curry sounds nice-might have to hunt for the recipie online
It is likely on her blog but if you can't find it let me know and I'll put down the basics :) x

gosh I haven't eaten meat for 12 years (I eat fish though) and always eat the same old crud. Please feel free to share all these creations xxx

gosh I haven't eaten meat for 12 years (I eat fish though) and always eat the same old crud. Please feel free to share all these creations xxx

Jack Monroe has a regular recipe slot in the Guardian :) ... if you go to their website and search under her name in the 'life and style ' section, they will come up.

Today's was a very nice risotto, which could easily be made sw friendly (in fact I make something very similar but with more superfree and tinned killers - it's pure comfort food :D. )

Evening Sam - im here to subscribe to your wittyness and your thread in general if thats ok lol x
well helloooo Sheila (what is it about your name that makes me go Australian? Too many crocodile Dundee films as a child I suspect!) welcome to the weirdness. Some days are madder than others but please feel free to join in! X

Jack Monroe has a regular recipe slot in the Guardian ... if you go to their website and search under her name in the 'life and style ' section, they will come up.

Today's was a very nice risotto, which could easily be made sw friendly (in fact I make something very similar but with more superfree and tinned killers - it's pure comfort food . )
ok I am SO all over that. I warmed up the 40p veg curry I made tonight from the freezer. Just as good if not better the second time and today I made the carrot, cumin and kidney bean soup but again tweaked it, removing the oil and adding some fresh ginger. Immense.

I've spent the last day reading this thread from start to finish and it is by far my favourite. Very refreshing xx

How lovely of you :) please stay, make yourself welcome. Grab a cuppa and put your feet up. No biscuits though. I can't have those in my imaginary cupboard. Nor imaginary chocolate or cake. Imaginary fruit I can offer you. Counts towards your 1/3 superfree too. Bonus. X

I looooove fresh ginger and seem to add it to just about everything at the moment but my absolute favourite is a twist on Fanta chicken (which I don't like) : Take a good range of superfree and free veg (chunky cut onions, peppers, green beans, baby corn, mushrooms and finely sliced leeks, carrots, swede, chopped garlic and root ginger - I use the 'very lazy' garlic and ginger for this bit). Sweat with frylite over a low heat until just starting to go tender and then add 2 tablespoons of freshly grated root ginger.

(I add chicken cut into bite size pieces at this stage and cook until sealed, but it's just as nice without :) ).

Add 1/2 carton of passata, 1/2 cup Fanta orange, 1 cup of diet ginger beer, 1/4 cup of vinegar, 2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes/pots, 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce and a generous slug of dark soy sauce. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer - uncover and reduce gently while cooking. Add salt, pepper, Chinese 5 spice and whatever else comes to hand to taste (I'm a great hurler of stuff into the pot, lol, so no dish ever tastes the same twice - be bold!! :D ).

This is the ideal point for freezing portions.

If you are not freezing, or have defrosted and re-heated (on the hob) a portion that you froze earlier ... now is the time to add beansprouts and mange tout and cook briefly, so that they are still crisp.

Enjoy :D

That sounds immense and I guess I could do it in the slow cooker too couldn't I? Definitely going to give this a try! Thanks :D

this is my carrot, cumin,(ginger) and kidney bean soup with some topped scan bran and pickles. Husband won't be happy later when all that's digested mwahahahaaa
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 30
Just subbing as you made me roar laughing on a thread earlier today, and then I remembered that you had berated someone for being a Daily Mail reader and my heart was lost.

Back