Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

That's the weird thing - I used to love runny eggs but seem to have developed an intolerance ... I can eat them OK but then my stomach rebels.

I've had a good search of pickled garlic recipes but they all use sugar - would sweetener work as well (I'm suspecting not) or would I /how would I syn the finished pickles? Hmmmm

That's the weird thing - I used to love runny eggs but seem to have developed an intolerance ... I can eat them OK but then my stomach rebels.

I've had a good search of pickled garlic recipes but they all use sugar - would sweetener work as well (I'm suspecting not) or would I /how would I syn the finished pickles? Hmmmm

Aw no, that's annoying with your intolerance, it's always the things we like huh.

Depends on how much sugar needs to go in it I guess. I'd divide the syns for the sugar by the amount of pickled items (ha, pickled items sounds like you'd expect things in there like a flash light or a pair of trainers). I don't know anything at all about the pickling process. But my knowledge free guess would be that the vinegar is most important. I really must read up about it.

All you wanted to know about how to cook an egg or two.Might try the steaming method next time I do some.:)

The Food Lab: The Hard Truth About Boiled Eggs | Serious Eats

Oh I enjoy reads like this!! This made me laugh, sadly it's exactly the kind of thing I'd do. Favourite phrase has got to be the "poorly-peeled-egg count". Funnily enough, I have always cooked eggs straight from the fridge in boiling water and shocked them after (usually by looking at them with my yet-to-be-made-up face) and I have rarely had peeling problems :D

Ironically I own an electric egg boiler which works on the steam method ... it's amazing! Perfect eggs, just how you want them, every time (the Grandchildren benefit even if I don't lol). Am I alone though in not refrigerating eggs?

Oh I might have to invest in one.:)
Mine aren't in the fridge either.:)

My eggs are in the fridge either!!!

My eggs are always in the fridge, it always used to be just habit because my mum always did it. But I recently attended a food hygiene course to get a Level 2 and they answered the question why eggs should be kept in the fridge in commercial kitchens (what you do at home is really your own choice).

Sit back and prepare to be incredibly bored (I'm such an anorak, I find this so interesting :D ): 30 days from the egg being laid it has natural antibacterial properties in the albumen, the egg white, to protect what was intended to be a chick. So for 30 days after laying it's perfectly fine at room temperature which is why in the supermarkets you will usually find eggs on the normal shelf rather than the chilled section. After the 30 days, the albumen no longer has those antibacterial properties which is why they print on the egg carton to keep them in the fridge. Eggs can be fine to eat over 60 days after they were laid. But the food safety advice is to keep them in the fridge because you don't know how old exactly those eggs are you have unless of course you have your own chickens.

Ok, you can wake up now :D leggture over :rolleyes:

Sorry Sam, for hijacking of thread

High turnover wouldn't be the factor really, they also have a high turnover on fresh milk but would always keep them in the chilled. But there we are, with eggs it is different, it's a personal preference really.

I should have a think about an egg boiler, I love soft boiled eggs, had two this morning :) just out of interest, how many eggs do you think it's ok to consume in a week? If I let myself, I'd quite easily have two or three a day.

That's really interesting :D ... I had always understood that the refrigerating eggs thing came from America because they wash their eggs before sale, which removes the protective layer on the shell making the eggs more susceptible to contamination by bacteria. In Europe it's not legal to wash eggs prior to sale so we tend not to refrigerate, but most fridges come with egg racks for the US market, so people started to use them. I like to have them at room temp for baking (not that I've done any of that since starting SW :( )

I keep mine in the fridge too. Only because the fridge has the special egg rack. It seems a shame not to use it :D

ALDI HAS PICKLED GARLIC!!! sorry for the shouting. I'm excited. I bought 6 jars :O

I keep mine in the fridge too. Only because the fridge has the special egg rack. It seems a shame not to use it :D

You see!!! ;) :D lol

And my daughter shops in Aldi ... I'll get her to pick some up for me :bliss:

I'm staying away from all of you - pickled garlic sounds so smelly. At least the vampires will stay away from you all ;D

Its not smelly. My husband can't even tell when I have eaten it. The pickling leaches out the smell. It's so yum

Just seen pickled vegetables on tescos website in their world foods department x

Hi Sheila :) yes thanks, did you? We had my daughters party yesterday. Her birthday is exactly a week after mine (ours!) but I was at work on the tues. She was 4. Had a lovely picnic in the park with games.

I ate too much. Uh-oh. Haha. Oh well. I've got a week to deal with it!! X

Awwww ... I love picnics in the park :D I was given a small picnic basket which hinges in the middle a couple of months ago and can't wait for it to be warm enough (which means pretty damn hot for me these days lol) to have a teddy bears picnic in the park with the littles and the dogs :)

Back