Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Hey Sam, I've just caught up with the last few days on your diary. Oh, I think our minds were separated at birth!! First of all, well done on buying the dress, good for you! Why shouldn't you wear one! You'll feel so good wearing it.

On the control freak side of things - boy, do I empathise. Self-sabotage starts in the mind, doesn't it. You can be on plan for weeks and a couple of days off it and mentally it feels like you've undone it all. But of course you know you haven't. And yet, it is so hard to shake off that nagging feeling that you're stuck in first gear. Well, that's where I am at the moment.

I'm so pleased you have made it back into the zone by the sounds of it. I must give that a go as well. The clean eating is very impressive. I hardly ever drink alcohol and am not much of a meat person but the caffeine...I would marry coffee if it were possible. But maybe I should just give it a go for a few weeks. Mind you, when I went on a detox once and went gluten, caffeine, dairy and meat free for a month, my friends in the end practically forced me to come off it, apparently I was a horror to be around (withdrawal I guess, or just the real me?). I think they were one oatcake away from pinning me to the ground and force feeding me a turkey sandwich washed down with a pint of coffee Baileys.

Yes, that's exactly it. A few days off and I expect to wake up 4 st heavier again. Silly isn't it? My husband thinks I'm boring at times because in the past we would have settled down to a film with a bag of sweets each and possibly a pizza most Fridays. He won't do it alone. He is a social eater rather than drinker but I can't make him see that I can have "something" just not the family bag of minstrels I would have polished off in the past. Boring? Maybe. Thinner and more flexible? Definitely. He should see the silver lining.....

i bought some nude wedges today because all the advice online to sort out big calves is nude wedges, nude wedges, nude wedges BUT no ankle straps. I found a bargain pair in tesco. So hopefully that makes me set!!

In addition and on a separate topic a certain group buying site had an offer yesterday for organic veg boxes. 3 delivered (one a fortnight) for £19. Bargain and a chance to try some new superfree. First delivery is this Friday. If anyone is in the south east area and fancies it they are called riverford. Can't wait to see what I'm brought!! Exciting!

Last edited:
Welcome back! Well done got buying the summer dress! I go on holiday in a week and a half and was looking at my clothes the cropped trousers I have our to big but also I don't like them now I want some nice fitted ones it's funny isn't it how are taste in clothes changes as we lose weight. Problem is I can only just squeeze into a 14 so think it will be the baggies trousers. Hopefully it will mean I will have a constant reminder of why I want to lose weight and won't put on 7lbs like last year!

yes the cropped trouser conundrum....I binned/donated all my old ones and to be fair with my calves they did me NO favours at all, hence the dress as its a bit "swingier" so doesn't cut me off. The wedges help immensely. I may get a couple of maxi dresses. In the past I would have been scared of accentuating my boobs and it hanging off my tummy. Now, not so much. They will also hide my lower legs quite effectively. I agree about tastes changing, I don't know what looks good any more. I keep looking at others for ideas.

Lol I keep looking at others for ideas too am always afraid I will get shouted at for staring!

I've been experimenting with colour too! Moved from black to brown! Keep admiring the bold Aztec print maxi dresses and the flowery print dresses but too afraid to wear them. Think I look like a pair of curtains.
Decided just to buy a bold shrug and bright jewellery/ shoes instead

I always have the phrase "oh I just LOVE your top/trousers/hair/tracksuit/reebok classic trainers, where DID you get/find/steal them/it??!" ready in case I get caught staring. Generally for the wrong reasons.

I have never been a big wearer of black clothes. Not racial. I have always been over reliant on my denim and then white linen trousers in the summer. I want this to be different. I want to be feminine. :). I'm going to look for a maxi dress tomorrow wish me luck!

I did actually wear a maxi dress in the garden yesterday .... in coloured stripes (horizontal stripes!) .... in a size 16 (that was loose) no less:eek:

I wouldn't have gone out in the street in it mind - I still felt like a hippo even though it wasn't clingy. Then my daughter showed me a photo she had taken when I was distracted and I literally didn' t recognise myself at first. It's weird that gap between my perception of how I look and the reality.

How long does that take do you think? For the brain to catch up with the reality?

How long does that take do you think? For the brain to catch up with the reality?
I took me 8 months to stop going to the size 24 sale racks. Even now I keep picking up the wrong size and and surprised when a 14 fits me as it looks too small too even go over my head!
i suppose it also depends on how long you had been at the bigger size. I had been a size 24 for 10 years, so it will take longer for my head to adjust to the changes.

I can't remember NOT being a 16/18 so I guess a while then huh? ;) oh well it's like a constant nice surprise!

I find it really difficult to tell if clothes will fit me anyway. My friend gave me some crop trousers she'd never worn to me. Just by chance this weekend with the heat I tried them on. I was convinced they would be too small. Then they fit:D

Me too. I have only just got to the stage where I pick up a larger size and think, nope that's too big and then feel embarrassed that I would, at one stage have fitted into it....probably at a squeeze too.

I've been slowly climbing from a 22 to 30 for about 13 years and even as a child I was overweight. I've only ever been what you could call 'slim' (and others might call normal ;) ) for 3 relatively short periods of my life (two weddings and a divorce), so I'm not holding out much hope that my head will ever catch up lol.

I'm going shopping with two friends to find a dress for a wedding we're going to in July. They're going to Trinny & Susannah me and swear by boozy dress shopping!

Should be fun, I'm hoping to be a comfy size 18 by then. I'm 20 almost 18 depending on the item at the moment. They're under instructions that my boobs are ok, legs are good (from running) but to hide bingo wings and mummy tummy.

In fact, that's reminded me of what my new goal is after Sundays 10k.

Have you got any well dressed friends who might come and help you pick stuff. Or book a personal shopper?

God help me, my adult daughters have pledged to take me clothes shopping once I hit target :eek: I'm either going to end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or like mutton dressed as the dogs dinner lol

I bought a maxi dress today too. :) pics to follow.......

Haha no I just haven't had a chance yet with little one around. I'll do it later today. :)

On a more sobering note I weighed in today and have put another lb on. That's one for each lot of birthday celebrations. I actually don't think its that though. I have eaten a lot of eggs recently after all but cutting them out and I literally can't "go" (tmi??) so I think its skewing it quite badly. Annoying though. I'm never going to meet the may challenge now. Bummer. Literally....

Oh that's frustrating (the gain not no dress !) if it's the eggs you know it will even out and show next week.
Don't worry about the mag challenge they are there to encourage not to make you feel bad (she says who has only lost a pound this month. )

It's amazing how much I obsess about my bowels these days :ashamed0005: I've started to remind myself of my Granny - an ex Norland Nanny, who's first question to any family member of a morning was always "have you been?" LOL (you rapidly learned to lie about this from a very young age as a negative response resulted in several teaspoons of disgusting jollop being forced between your tightly clenched teeth ;) )

But whether or not I manage a sucessful trip to the little girl's room in the morning sets my mood for the day!

Back