Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Haha....I was thinking yummy, chocolate chip mint ice cream!!

Molly...thanks, I followed the link: do you think the courgette chocolate cake would be cake consistency or much firmer? Looks very nice.

I'm assuming it would be the same kind of consistency as carrot cake or the chocolate and beetroot, so quite soft and moist :D I love cake with added superfree lol

You guys really do inspire me to look even further afield for recipes and to experiment more .... apropos of which here's another link for you - a lot of these can be made vegan (and even paleo) friendly :D I am SO trying the sesame and garlic green beans and the creamed kale with coconut milk! http://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/vegetables-4-eva#2k1tff4

Edited to add OMG!!! I want it all LOL - check out the oven baked 'fries' - sod 'SW chips' these are in a different league and the kohlrabi fritters with avocado 'cream'. I'm beginning to see the attraction of vegetarianism - who needs meat when veggies (which I love anyway) are this scrummy :greenapple: This site has been well and truly bookmarked lol and I'm going to have a recipe printing fest as soon as I hit work this morning.

Last edited:
I have taken screen shots of a few things there. Mmmmmm!! There is so much variety out there.

Nuts, nut milks and butters, pulses, legumes (beans etc), tofu, soya, quinoa are all good sources of non animal protein (and to be honest we really don't need quite as much protein in our diets as we are conditioned to think we are) .... says the woman who likes her steak so rare that a good vet could get it back on it's feet ;)

I'm trying to explore tofu.... And make a mean chickpea burger! :)

Cavegirl I tried tofu a couple of times and didn't like it at all...the texture I think. Recently I tried some chicken-style pieces (soya and no wheat added) and I really really like them! I know you said no soya but just thought I'd share that.
Quinoa...to me it's the most uninteresting stuff I ever put on my plate!! I know my sister in-law tells me it's a complete protein but I can happily live without it!

Funny isn't it, I find quinoa very versatile :) I still love my quinoa apple porridge :) yummy

on the other hand I buggered up my tofu yet again. I think I give up with that.

My understanding is that it's the LDL levels that are the important ones - they're the ones that clog up arteries, so them being normal is what you need to know :D

I did a bit of research into gallstones a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that they are linked to cholesterol levels (as much of the cholesterol in our blood comes from the liver rather than diet) so I'm a bit cholesterol knowledged up at the moment lol.

I know nothing about cholesterol :) so am no use at all. I am however doing some research into gluten because I suspect I may be a bit sensitive. My system just goes to pot whenever I have anything bready. It always bloated me but these days it had all sorts of negative implications (no details given!!). I don't eat a lot of it and it wouldn't be a major wrench to cut it out totally but its surprising how many things gluten gets into. Sneaky little sod!

Did you get told to reduce your fat? Reason I'm asking is usually the first thing they tell you is to go on a low fat diet what they don't tell you is which fat.Do you have to go back for another one in a couple of months.

I'm not a DR or in any medical position to advise you but what I would do is reduce consumption of carbohydrates, especially sugar. Eat less of: bread and other grains, potatoes, rice, pasta, corn, and beans. Eat more meat, fish, fowl, and eggs, along with leafy green vegetables, such as salads. And eat fruit only in moderation.

I'm due a health test next week.Can't wait.:rolleyes:
No I wasn't given any advice. I think he knows me pretty well, dietary issues etc.
I think SW is a pretty low fat diet and to be honest it hasn't had any impact on the cholesterol.
My carbs are potatoes or rice, just with my main meal. Grains are not my friend so I mostly avoid those and definitely gluten.
I don't eat any meat or hardly any fish. I have soya type cheeses, eggs, beans, plenty of veggies and salads and fruit for breakfast.
The doctor actually recommended the my husband eat 6 walnuts EVERY​ day to help lower his cholesterol...
Another little side factor is that my thyroid is out of sync...and he said that could affect it? Have upped the meds for 3 months and will then be retested.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it's the LDL levels that are the important ones - they're the ones that clog up arteries, so them being normal is what you need to know :D

I did a bit of research into gallstones a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that they are linked to cholesterol levels (as much of the cholesterol in our blood comes from the liver rather than diet) so I'm a bit cholesterol knowledged up at the moment lol.

Molly I think there's a big 'myth' around cholesterol because as you said, the body produces it anyway. Last year I had the computer cardio assessment with the nurse. 5% & 6% chance of developing heart and diabetic issues...absolute minimal risk!

I know nothing about cholesterol :) so am no use at all. I am however doing some research into gluten because I suspect I may be a bit sensitive. My system just goes to pot whenever I have anything bready. It always bloated me but these days it had all sorts of negative implications (no details given!!). I don't eat a lot of it and it wouldn't be a major wrench to cut it out totally but its surprising how many things gluten gets into. Sneaky little sod!
Sam if you track down that tricky gluten answer...please let me know too!!:D

That's good to know Janet :D

The gluten question is an interesting one ... I know I'm sensitive to gluten, but in small quantities can get away with the odd bit of pasta, ryvita etc, Bread though is another thing entirely - even the smallest amount sends my digestive system into meltdown :( Bloating, cramps, extreme diarrhea (to the point where I dare not be within sprinting distance of a toilet) added to which it gives me almost instant thrush. I wasn't sure if it was the yeast (though I'm fine with marmite but then I hardly eat it in huge quantities lol) or the gluten or something else.

Then a few weeks ago I read a really interesting article on how sourdough bread seems to be non triggering for people with gluten intolerances - even for many diagnosed coeliacs, even though it obviously contains flour and thus gluten. It would seem that our modern bread making techniques, due to the need to shorten the production process, has HUGE amounts of extra yeast, sugar and - more importantly - extra gluten to shorten the rising and proving times (in other words they don't want to wait for the gluten to release and develop properly so add concentrated gluten to speed things up).

Sourdough on the other hand is allowed to rise and prove very slowly which kind of 'matures' the gluten which, presumably, makes it more digestible. Trouble is that proper sourdough (supermarket versions are still full of additives) is time consuming to make at home and only really available from Artisan bakeries - this being Luton such a thing doesn't exist here lol.

I could probably get in in St Albans, but it's a faff and would make it a rather expensive loaf, so I haven't bothered yet, but Brighton is far more likely to have a supplier (in fact a quick ask of Mr Google reveals that The Real Patisserie in St Georges Rd make and sell it), so perhaps Sam would like to be our Guinea Pig? :D Mind you, I'm not sure that I'd dare step inside a decent patisserie for fear of all the stock jumping down my throat in a (years worth) of syn frenzy ;)

I've heard that sourdough is a better bread to eat for gluten sensitive folk...I haven't tried it either but we have good individual bakeries here that sell it. I have the reverse effect if I eat gluten...I could go a zillion miles from a toilet for several days!! :eek:
I know you're exactly right re the use of gluten in commercial baking because I've researched it myself.

Ok the next time I'm near there I will make a point of get if some sourdough And will see whether it has the desired effect :) as if I need any excuse! :)

Sound like a plan! :) not sure how soon I can get down there as it's the other side of the city but they have a smaller outlet that's a bit closer! :)

Back