Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Right I'm back. Sorry for the absence. I've been a bit vulnerable and @@ck the world for the last few weeks with the net result that I have put on weight. Feel awful. Put on weight. Feel awful and so on. I know you all know how it works. What I have decided is this (and funnily it all stems from a mistake)
1- I need you guys and shouldn't hide away. You don't judge but I'm my own worst critic so my head says otherwise
2- I need to sign up again for the online slimming world service. Meetings didn't work for me and neither does going it alone.
3- I need to start from scratch. From this exact point. I can't keep riding the crest of 5st weight loss. (Closer to 4 now!!)

funnily I signed up to a subscription of vegetarian living magazine about 6 weeks ago but they made a mistake and sent me copies of the latest slimming world mag. The first one I thought was just a complimentary copy. The second one made me realise they had made a mistake their end (which I have now sorted) but I'm taking it as the universe telling me something.

I missed you guys! :)

Hey Sam good to have you back.

I've been away too and pretty much followed a similar pattern but my excuse to myself is I became 50 and had 2 holidays and ate my way through the lot. Consequently, I've also gained but not put it all back on (thank goodness) and know this has to be nipped in the bud before I do. I've always been a yo-yo dieter and a comfort eater and it's so easy to fall back into all the old ways isn't it? So apart from a free night for the work's Christmas do I'm aiming to get it off again before Dec 25th. I know you will get back to where you were with the plan online you did so well with it before. Good luck Sam x :D

Welcome back Claire too! Woohoo. It's like a gang reformation. I officially rejoined today with a new start weight and all the rest is in the past. Managed to find an online code that gave me £35 off so I went for the package with the magazines. My WI day is now officially Tuesdays. Probably a good thing because that is pretty close to the weekend in either direction so hopefully it will nip some of the naughtiness in the bud. Not all of it whats life without a little naughtiness once in a while?

This is my second full day on plan and I have a headache. I had one yesterday too. That's hows how much sugar I have had recently as I'm pretty sure it's a come down symptom. That should pass soon. Feel better for it already. Not saying it's easy though. I feel like I am beating myself into submission but hopefully my newly acquired habits will disappear quickly and the old "good" habits will resurface. I have set a new target at 11st so that's actually half a stone under my original because it seemed churlish to spend all that money for 1.5st when I could have 2 ;). Three months takes me to mid/late jan. I want to get back into the 11s for xma (with some wriggle room for the festive season) and then target at some point in the first half of next year. I definitely want to be at target by my birthday. I'm in no rush, I just need to know I'm not cheating myself out of it!!

Good luck, you can do it!

Welcome back Sam. Your inimitable way with words has been missed!

You've clearly spent some time thinking about what works for you and formed a plan of action and I'm sure you're mentally refreshed and stronger for your break from all things SW related. It can be tough to stick at it constantly over a long time without having a bit of a 'meh' moment but that is behind you now; you are back with determination and have a realistic goal which I have no doubt you will achieve. Good luck.

I thrived on setting goals for myself lol - weird really because I am generally extremely uncompetitive, but I guess that's different to setting challenges against myself ... Hmmm <taps finger on chin pensively> Mind you, a lot of my goals weren't specifically weight based - things like being able to wrap a bath towel all around me, or kneeling down comfortably or crossing my legs were up there when I was back at the beginning. Now they tend to be more exercise based - 10000 aerobic steps a day instead of just 10000 steps in general (I've not actually achieved this one yet lol).

I always found my WI day being a Monday definitely helped to keep me on track at weekends Sam - and still does lol. The headache thing has made me think - before I started SW I used to get headaches a LOT (and take a lot of paracetamol to combat them). I'd always assumed that it was stress related, but I literally cannot remember the last time that I had one, so I'm now wondering if it was sugar related.

Noo don't buy them. Or if you do make sure you seek out the originals and not the newly released ones. I downloaded it to my kindle and its was a real shock. It's all be ultra-pc'd. For example Fanny is now called Frannie and Jo is Joe (presumably in an attempt to prevent our children thinking he may be a cross dresser Jo/Joe type. They have changed a lot of the stories too. Blasphemous if you ask me. I sent it back to Amazon.

I dont think I'd want to see the films on this basis too. It would stress me out too much. I'm a purist.

I actually like mini goals. My first one is to get back to weighing less than the husband. That should bring me to under 12 and a half. Then go for the into 11s. After that who knows. :) I can appreciate the need to not have the Pressure though. Particularly so self-imposed.

I can see the benefits. I try to make them silly little goals and don't always set time limits. As long as I get there it doesn't matter if it takes a week or 6 months. I am not adverse to the scenic route at all. :)

Noo don't buy them. Or if you do make sure you seek out the originals and not the newly released ones. I downloaded it to my kindle and its was a real shock. It's all be ultra-pc'd. For example Fanny is now called Frannie and Jo is Joe (presumably in an attempt to prevent our children thinking he may be a cross dresser Jo/Joe type. They have changed a lot of the stories too. Blasphemous if you ask me. I sent it back to Amazon.

I dont think I'd want to see the films on this basis too. It would stress me out too much. I'm a purist.

oh no I've ordered the faraway tree collection, it better be good, I'll let you know.

It's all be ultra-pc'd. For example Fanny is now called Frannie and Jo is Joe (presumably in an attempt to prevent our children thinking he may be a cross dresser Jo/Joe type. They have changed a lot of the stories too. Blasphemous if you ask me.

Bah humbug - how dare they mess with our Enid.

Oddly I came across this article in the Graun today Enid Blyton | Books | The Guardian

I did keep many of my childhood books, including a selection of Enid Blyton that covered from 'early reading' through The Wishing Chair and Faraway Tree and onto the Famous 5 - my kids hated them lol. They just couldn't relate to the language (not just outdated words but outdated cadence and speech structure) or the whole 'jollyness' of the stories lol. To be fair they were much the same about my beloved Arthur Ransom and Malcolm Saville books too, so Guide Biliton (as she's known in my family) wasn't singled out for rejection.

The girls did adore all the old pony books though - it would seem that the language of 'pony' is timeless, no matter how much ginger beer and boarding school hockey is involved ;)

Oddly I came across this article in the Graun today Enid Blyton | Books | The Guardian

I did keep many of my childhood books, including a selection of Enid Blyton that covered from 'early reading' through The Wishing Chair and Faraway Tree and onto the Famous 5 - my kids hated them lol. They just couldn't relate to the language (not just outdated words but outdated cadence and speech structure) or the whole 'jollyness' of the stories lol. To be fair they were much the same about my beloved Arthur Ransom and Malcolm Saville books too, so Guide Biliton (as she's known in my family) wasn't singled out for rejection.

The girls did adore all the old pony books though - it would seem that the language of 'pony' is timeless, no matter how much ginger beer and boarding school hockey is involved ;)

It's quite sad reading that article and the undeserved criticism its also sad knowing names have been changed, it just spoils it where's the innocence gone, I loved Enid Blyton's books and would read them until I fell asleep or finished them. Me & Lydia will probably still go & see the film when it does eventually come out & already I know we're going to be disappointed.

I know Michelle - I loved them too, which is why I kept them ... I actually found some of them last month when I was searching the 'cupboard of doom' for something else lol: a whole load of hardback Famous 5 and Secret 7 hardbacks. I loved them all :)

It is fascinating just how much language usage can shift in such a relatively short period of time though.

Back