Lily's 261st attempt at sticking to a plan - JUDDD!!

Sleep Tight Lily!!!! :nightf: :zz:

Ruth
x

Not again!

image-185888144.jpg

Morning Lily x

Hi all

Weigh in - gained a pound :(. Think it's cos I only managed 2 DDs this week cos of feeling a bit poorly and things are a bit mad at work, but still...

Trying not to read too much into it, though I know you all know how hard that is! I think it's because double UD gains don't tend to get resolved until after the second DD. I think in real terms I've actually lost fat - I feel a bit slimmer. Anyway, after a few thoughts about making today a DD, I've decided to keep going regardless and have my UDs this weekend as planned.

Hope you're all okay!

Lily said:
Hi all

Weigh in - gained a pound :(. Think it's cos I only managed 2 DDs this week cos of feeling a bit poorly and things are a bit mad at work, but still...

Trying not to read too much into it, though I know you all know how hard that is! I think it's because double UD gains don't tend to get resolved until after the second DD. I think in real terms I've actually lost fat - I feel a bit slimmer. Anyway, after a few thoughts about making today a DD, I've decided to keep going regardless and have my UDs this weekend as planned.

Hope you're all okay!

It's never good to see a gain but it can be for so many reasons, our bodies don't do as we would expect!!
Being poorly can throw your body out so maybe the 2 dd's and being poorly both together caused a small gain.

Stick with your normal rotation and it will level itself out xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Lily said:
Hi all

Hope you're all okay!

Could it actually be a gain or a fluctuation ob weight, if it tAkes a deficit of 3500 calories for a lb loss surely the polar opposite for a gain x

It's never good to see a gain but it can be for so many reasons, our bodies don't do as we would expect!!
Being poorly can throw your body out so maybe the 2 dd's and being poorly both together caused a small gain.

Stick with your normal rotation and it will level itself out xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks Loopey :) Just going to keep going and keep the faith!

Could it actually be a gain or a fluctuation ob weight, if it tAkes a deficit of 3500 calories for a lb loss surely the polar opposite for a gain x

I'm not quite sure what you're saying - you think it might be a real gain? :confused: I suppose it might be. :cry: But I can't dwell on it, whatever caused it.

And I will say I have reservations about 3500 calories = 1lb. It's not that simple. One day, probably about 50 years from now, we'll have a better idea about the biology around weight gain and loss. It's far more hormonal than is commonly thought - insulin has a lot to answer for, as does leptin and a couple of other things scientists are only just noticing. Lower calorie diets probably work because by default, you reduce your carb intake.

Anyway. I spent a long time writing this week about how you shouldn't change what you're doing based on one result ;) so I just need to take my own advice! :)

Lily, you are right about the double DD taking until the second DD to get back to where you started and I often wonder if my losses would be better if I stopped and did a strict rotation BUT I know what makes Juddd perfect for me is having the weekend off and I also think that it keeps our bodies guessing somewhat?? Obviously you are dissapointed with a gain but as you said you gave me some fabulous advice and I stuck with my usual routine with great effect, I may well have had the same effect if I had dropped my cals but then I would never have known that the Juddd was working just fine as it was. You don't need me to tell you that the reason for that gain could be any number of reasons but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I am not sure about the 3500 cals defecit bit either as I shouldn't have lost this week going by that theory. I have said this many times now but Juddd affects my body in a different way to any other diet I have done before, the 'weight loss' that shows on your body seems faster than the weight loss shown on the scales, so you probably are looking , feeling slimmer, enjoy your UP day hun and try not to dwell too much (easier said than done I know) xx

The 3500 cal myth has been debunked, cals in does not equal cals out, lots of reasons which tend to depend on circumstances, eg if you're dieting, it assumes you'll continue to burn cals at same rate, which is v unlikely as the body will try and expend less cals. It also depends on the macronutrients content of food eg some calories are stored far more effectively than others - protein for example, unless you're on a high protein diet, almost all your protein intake will go to growth and repair. Hormones play a major role, and considerably vary from person to person. Also it assumes we can accurately work out calorie content of food (which is worked out by burning stuff in a lab, not the ideal model for a human body), that we burn it all, efficiently, and that we can accurately work out our basal metabolic rate (which is more accurate, but only if you have it checked in a lab).

Thats not to say calories don't have their place, but assuming the level of accuracy that is sometimes given (you know, cut out one digestive biscuit and you'll lose a stone in a year) is nuts!

I'll stop my waffling now, but incase you want more info
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/1lb-does-not-equal-3500-calories

Hi Lily,

It could easily be water -- a pound is nothing. I can gain a pound by drinking a glass of water.

I hope you're having a good weekend.

Coffee on Wednesday? Lunch on Thursday?

The 3500 cal myth has been debunked, cals in does not equal cals out, lots of reasons which tend to depend on circumstances, eg if you're dieting, it assumes you'll continue to burn cals at same rate, which is v unlikely as the body will try and expend less cals. It also depends on the macronutrients content of food eg some calories are stored far more effectively than others - protein for example, unless you're on a high protein diet, almost all your protein intake will go to growth and repair. Hormones play a major role, and considerably vary from person to person. Also it assumes we can accurately work out calorie content of food (which is worked out by burning stuff in a lab, not the ideal model for a human body), that we burn it all, efficiently, and that we can accurately work out our basal metabolic rate (which is more accurate, but only if you have it checked in a lab).

Thats not to say calories don't have their place, but assuming the level of accuracy that is sometimes given (you know, cut out one digestive biscuit and you'll lose a stone in a year) is nuts!

I'll stop my waffling now, but incase you want more info
1lb does not equal 3,500 calories | Zoe Harcombe

LOL. Zoe's one of my favourite people. :) (I can't seem to get to grips with her diet though :confused:). You already know I'm a closet low carber/Paleo girl. I believe whole-heartedly that sugar is the biggest evil of our time, not fat, though sadly that didn't stop me downing 2 Yorkie bars one after the other just now. :D Just because I'm on an UD and I could.

Need to sort out my sugar habit. My OH is a bit of a sweets hoarder - there's chocolate in every cupboard in the house, sigh.

Oh, didn't mention this before, I know - but OH lost 2 pounds JUDDD-ing this week. :clap:

Lily said:

Oh, didn't mention this before, I know - but OH lost 2 pounds JUDDD-ing this week. :clap:

The rat b*st*rd!

Hi Lily,

It could easily be water -- a pound is nothing. I can gain a pound by drinking a glass of water.

I hope you're having a good weekend.

Coffee on Wednesday? Lunch on Thursday?

Sounds good - but as I'm ridiculously disorganised, it'll be Monday before I can confirm which - my work calendar's a bit of a free-for-all at the moment. Unfortunately there's no easy way of transferring what's on my work calendar to anything I can see at home!

Bear with me? - and I'll see what's what!

Lily said:
LOL. Zoe's one of my favourite people. :) (I can't seem to get to grips with her diet though :confused:). You already know I'm a closet low carber/Paleo girl. I believe whole-heartedly that sugar is the biggest evil of our time, not fat, though sadly that didn't stop me downing 2 Yorkie bars one after the other just now. :D Just because I'm on an UD and I could.

Need to sort out my sugar habit. My OH is a bit of a sweets hoarder - there's chocolate in every cupboard in the house, sigh.

Soz - didnt mean to preach to the converted! I don't get her diet, paleo makes more sense to me. But I thought her obesity book was brill.

Soz - didnt mean to preach to the converted! I don't get her diet, paleo makes more sense to me. But I thought her obesity book was brill.

Oh, preach away! Every now and again, I forget myself and say daft things about calories - but it's a hard thing to shake when you've been dieting for 30 years (OMG - 30 years? :eek: That fact alone ought to debunk the calorie myth). Real food. That's where it's at. :D It's just that cr*p processed food is designed to taste good, dammit. :mad:

Lily said:
Oh, preach away! Every now and again, I forget myself and say daft things about calories - but it's a hard thing to shake when you've been dieting for 30 years (OMG - 30 years? :eek: That fact alone ought to debunk the calorie myth). Real food. That's where it's at. :D It's just that cr*p processed food is designed to taste good, dammit. :mad:

Two words:

SKINNY RULES

No, I was basically trying to say I didn't believe it was a lb of fat gain. I don't see how it could be, obviously using an example of old fashioned calories. But I know it is outdated. The point I was trying to make, obviously not very well is it is unlikely to b a lb of fat x

No, I was basically trying to say I didn't believe it was a lb of fat gain. I don't see how it could be, obviously using an example of old fashioned calories. But I know it is outdated. The point I was trying to make, obviously not very well is it is unlikely to b a lb of fat x

Thanks hunni :hug99: I kind of knew that's what you meant but I was being grouchy - I'm sorry. :( Hope you can forgive me.

The other irony about weigh in today is that I've spent an awful lot of time in the bathroom today (and I don't mean in the bath ;)). Stupid bodies - why don't they know which day weigh in is? :rolleyes:

Back