LizB's diary - time to make it count

LizB

So for me it was either xenical or weight management group. I've tried the group before but I started working and the option I chose didn't fit in with my working pattern and they wouldn't let me swap without being re-referred again! I decided to give xenical a try as I thought what harm would it do to try. I'm a bit nervous about the side effects but I'm going to try and stick to a low fat diet and keep that to a minimum I just hope I actually those some weight!

I've felt a bit sicky today and had a lot of wind. I'm hoping after a little while my digestive tract will get used to it and all that will settle down. I'm planning on making myself drink more tomorrow. I meant to today but did a massive pile of ironing this morning so didn't concentrate on drinking. I'm going to look for some caffeine free fruit tea to make iced tea with as I usually drink a lot of pop and coke. Also I find water can get a bit boring after a while especially as I work in a factory that bottle water!

I filled out my food diary on MFP and I've over eaten on sugar, it was a lot going cold turkey straight away and ended up having a fun size pack of magic stars mid evening then a low fat yoghurt before bed which of course is loaded with sugar but was better than going to bed starving. Hopefully over the week I can cut my sugar intake down!

That's me for now, please feel free to butt in with any tricks or tips for me I'll also keep checking the main xenical forum as well. I shall be back posting tomorrow, I'll try update this daily for the first week or so to keep track of how I'm feeling and also for my weigh in next Saturday :)

Thanks for reading,
Liz :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Last edited:
Hi Liz & welcome!

My advise is read the stickie which gives you the basic rules, stick to those & there will be no side effects/consequences....

As for mfp all I look at & ever has is fat & cals & I've never paid attention to the others & it hasn't done me any harm. Some days I've had 250% vitamin C. Erm so?? I know too much sugar isn't good but this will be an adjustment period for you...

At the end of the month we will be starting our new weight loss challenge for Christmas if you'd like to join just post in the thread & I will add you!

Keep posting for support & no matter how stupid you think the question is ask it & I am sure one of us has asked it before!!!

Good Luck, onwards & downwards x

Last edited:
So I've just had the first lot of orange through. I've felt fine all day but I stupidly had cheese omelette for lunch so I don't know if it was the cheese or the eggs! Hopefully it was a mixture of both. I had lots of salad with it and it was yummy so I don't feel too guilty it was something I had to try at some point.

I do wonder if it was partly to do with what I ate before I started as well, a typical lunch at work would be a sandwich with clover on it and a packet of crisps. I also had baked salmon last night which I've read can affect people, is it any salmon or just smoked? I've also had roast dinner tonight and while I tried to keep the fat down I bet I'll get the affects from that tomorrow too! I don't mind so long as its controllable and doesn't make me sore, if you know what I mean!

Struggling on fat free or low fat snacks at the moment. What do people normally have, it's usually on an afternoon I need a bit of a boost but struggling on finding something to have!

Thanks for reading xxx

Well I would say it was likely the cheese, most people are fine with eggs... Salmon I find wild salmon is ok but farmed salmon is often injected with fat so can be anywhere up to 25g fat per 100g I seem to remember it was so is a definite no no!

See if I am honest for me I really don't want the effects so while I was on the tablets (Oct 2011-Feb 2012) & again for the past week I haven't gone above the 5g rule apart from eggs & bisto best gravy as I was too scared of the consequences as I know people who have had no warning & orange oil literally seeped out with no control over it. That in my job would be a nightmare! My advice is to try & avoid "tango" happening as that is the idea of the tablets really that they work as a deterrant from eating the things we know we shouldn't really. I manage to do roast dinners no problem, I use frylight to do any of the things that I used to use oil for & now the whole family are just used to it, I even do it when we are entertaining friends & they have never commented so I am guessing it can't be bad!

Snacks are a bit hard I agree, pretzels are the only savoury snack I found within the rules & although sweets are ok as low in fat they tend to be high in sugar. Also fruit, I eat loads of fruit, this time of year is lovely as berries are my favourite x

I'd be surprised if it was the omelette if that was only lunch time. It normally takes longer thn that to go through you. But crisp and clover are definite no no's. you do need to look at the amount of fat per 100g on the labels and not just the portion size amounts. It's makes a huge difference. The idea is that you eat well enough not to get the orange tango effect not that you think it's controllable. The effect means that you're having too much fat in your diet and you need to eat less

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi liz and welcome. It would be the likes of the cheese or the chocolate that would give you the oil. You really have to cut them out along with all butters and cooking oils. You will be surprised at what you can have, just check the labels. If you ever get a craving for chocolate tesco do a light choices chocolate mousse which is yummy.

I've found it astonishing how much we can have that is within the rules. Now I've had a good bit of practice checking the labels, its become a bit of an art! I've not had any tango effect at all, however other than a sliver of butter I've also now had anything which has more that 5gm fat per 100gm, therefore no tango, and great weight loss. With all the new foods I've discovered and the different ways of cooking i don't feel at all deprived which is the secret to my success. Im rubbish at feeling deprived! :)

I think I've found it was probably the effects of the leftovers from the night before I started xenical. I've been fine since just a bit windy.It doesn't look like I'm eating too much fat, according to mfp I've been under my 45g of fat everyday since I started. I more wanted to see whether I would have side effects from the omelette, to which so far I seem to be ok. I have been checking the back of packets the Milky Way magic stars were more of a treat more than anything. It won't be everyday and it will probably be my way of having a treat every so often.

Lexie I'm with you there the oil slick wouldn't be good for me at work especially working in a soft drinks factory! I will have a look at pretzels I don't mind them and I can also make a fat free dip to go with them!

Thanks again, I'll post my proper daily update later!

Liz x

I'll have a look online for low fat ones. I think Sainsbury's do them as well xxx

And these are ok but about 80p a bag!!!!

Attachments

• image-2487623209.jpg
    image-2487623209.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 88
I'm off to town later I might have a look for a packet!

I ended up not posting yesterday. I was knackered after my 12 hour shift and by the time I got everything done posting on here was the last thing on my mind! Not that much happened yesterday. I kept everything low fat except my tea which was ready for me when I got in. Not a lot I could do but I must remember if I have an issue later that's why. Back to normal tonight though I can cook my own tea!

No side effects again yay! It's so hard resisting getting on the scales. I caved yesterday and I hadn't lost but I had a lot heavier clothes on yesterday so maybe I have!

Post again later for today!
Liz x

I weigh every day Liz although didn't when I first started as I liked the surprise.

My hubby learned quickly what I could & couldn't eat. It re-educated him too & he lost 3 stone while I was losing.....

I can see me trying to do it when I just have my pjs on - unfortunately I'm not often awake enough at 5 am to remember!

I lost 2lbs today in heavy clothes but had put a pound on in muscle mass! (I have all singing and dancing scales lol,) I hate being naked at the moment. Even getting changed at work I have my PPE ready to change into straight away ( doesn't help the rest of the girls at work are skinny Minnie's mind) so I generally don't stay naked that long to weigh myself. Plus my scales are down stairs so I don't really want to risk giving the postman an eyeful more than he was expecting ;)

Back