Loaded Hashbrowns - American style!

StaceyUK

Gold Member
Serves 2

Free on Green (if using bacon and cheese as HEX's)

3 large Maris Piper potatoes
4 spring onions, chopped
170g lean bacon (raw weight), cooked and chopped (HEX B)
84g Cathedral City Light mature cheese, grated (HEX A or B)

1) Peel the potatoes, rinse and then coarsely grate. Using paper towel or tea cloth, squeeze out excess liquid. Preheat grill.

2) Heat a large frying pan and spray with Butter FryLight. Press the shredded potatoes into the pan, spreading it so it's the diameter of the pan (like a pancake). Season with salt & pepper.

3) Once golden underneath (will take about 10 mins), flip onto a plate, spray pan with more FryLight and transfer back to the pan to cook the other side. Cook for another 10 mins or until golden.

4) Scatter the spring onions and bacon over the 'pancake' and sprinkle with the cheese. Pop under the grill until melted and golden.

5) Cut in half and dollop with very low fat fromage frais. Serve with baked beans and 'fried' eggs.

After we had this for dinner last night my hubby said to me, 'so can you have this on your diet then?' and I said yes and he replied 'you mean to tell me that we've been eating beans and veggie bolognese when we could've been having this the whole time????' LOL!

my boyfriend has been going on about how he wants hash browns for ages, will be cooking this for him soon!!

had that quorn hash in this months SW mag, for last 2 days, very yummy, but i little spicy, think i may have over done it with the mustard powder...lol...but wil be having it again, nice for any meal....

had that quorn hash in this months SW mag, for last 2 days, very yummy, but i little spicy, think i may have over done it with the mustard powder...lol...but wil be having it again, nice for any meal....

I keep meaning to try this - will do it this week!

OMG, sounds fab! I miss proper hashbrowns

Thanks for the recipe

xx

Are you veggie? I can't remember but thought you were. The restaurant in the States where I used to get these hashbrowns used to do a veggie one with tomatoes and spinach in it instead of bacon.

That sounds really nice. (Without the baked beans though - can't stand the sight of them!)

I will be trying them tomorrow.

Wow this sounds yummy! Gonna try it tomorrow!! Thanks!! Xx

im making it tomoro it sounds very yummy!!!!

Mummy ferris, how on earth have you managed to lose so much so quickly? I started about the same weight as you and have only lost 2.5 stone after 20 weeks! My target is also 11 stone or size 12. Some weeks I have really good losses but I can't maintain them, what's your secret if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Daft question alert! - I've never grated potato - do you use the largest grater setting on one of the four-sided graters? And then how do you dry it off?

Recipe looks gorgeous!

I use the largest grater size (what you'd usually use for cheese) & then dry it off in a couple of teatowels.

Back