London CDC with group?

bellefrogette

Silver Member
Hi there does anyone know a London based CDC who also runs a weekly group meeting? The zone doesn't matter as I get about. I was going to join WW next week but to be honest all the cooking and choping and cleaning is getting to me . Last time I lost weight on CD I went to a CDC in finsbury park..ages ago, but it was really the group atmosphere that made the difference.

Thanks in advance.

Belle

No belle, sorry I can't help. But would be interested to learn more details if this service was available so lets see if anyone knows. Alternatively a direct call to Cambridge Diet company might produce an answer, good luck x

I do, she's based in South Ruslip. She does three group sessions a week

South Ruslip? :eek: that's like, I am gonna need my passport country.

Unless CD H/O has changed before they were not keen on saying who runs meetings and who does not, instead asking me to go by the CDC relevant to my postcode. Picking up packs and a one-on- one pep talk doesn't cut it with me . I would much rather have a group meeting and time for a chat. Given how much a weeks supply is, I am looking for value for money.

If it was a simple matter of getting VLCD supplies, I might as well go to boots and get slimfast.Formula wise I don't feel there is a great difference between them, so what really accounts for the difference in price? ( apart from hype and advertising)

Anyhow I don't mind the higher price if it comes with a well run group:bliss:

Last edited:
Hi belle

Yes, I am the other side of London too!

There is a CD counsellor in East London/Essex borders that hires rooms in public venues so you sometimes chat to one or two other people doing the diet but its definitely not a group.
Have you thought of Lighterlife as that is definitely done in a group setting.
This reminds me of years ago at uni when a friend did a presentation on whether group approaches work better than one-to-one. I wish I could remember the conclusion!

Hi belle

Yes, I am the other side of London too!

There is a CD counsellor in East London/Essex borders that hires rooms in public venues so you sometimes chat to one or two other people doing the diet but its definitely not a group.
Have you thought of Lighterlife as that is definitely done in a group setting.
This reminds me of years ago at uni when a friend did a presentation on whether group approaches work better than one-to-one. I wish I could remember the conclusion!

I think its an individual thing.. I find the group works better for me , because there is more input and I like being with those who are doing it, not only someone who has done it.Also with one on one , its a bit too intimate and I prefer some distance- me-space with these things.

Lighter life, again they were too postcode based when I called..and I don't go by post code I go by click and personality.

Funny enough the best groupy group I attended was slimming world , but it was an awkward time, next is weight watchers ( I ignore all the mumbo jumbo regarding points syns and what-not,:p )

Lighterlife I think the most expensive ..but now that you mention it there might be no harm in attending a meeting a go-see.

If you are near to Ilford then I would recommend the local LL counsellor - she is near to the main station and bus routes.
I prefer CD as there are more flavours.
Let us know what you choose in the end!

If it was a simple matter of getting VLCD supplies, I might as well go to boots and get slimfast.Formula wise I don't feel there is a great difference between them, so what really accounts for the difference in price? ( apart from hype and advertising)

hey hun, can I just say Slimfast is not designed to be a vlcd think the calorie intake is about 1200 a day..it is also dangerous to do slimfast as a sole source, as doesn't contain all the nutrients you need, thats why you can snack and have a meal at night.:)

With regards to group meetings, think you should still try the cd phone number as they are more helpful now:eek:

Good luck with what ever you choose x

hey hun, can I just say Slimfast is not designed to be a vlcd think the calorie intake is about 1200 a day..it is also dangerous to do slimfast as a sole source, as doesn't contain all the nutrients you need, thats why you can snack and have a meal at night.:)

With regards to group meetings, think you should still try the cd phone number as they are more helpful now:eek:

Good luck with what ever you choose x

Thanks likewise, my thing is to keep it simple and not buy the hype of any of the brands.To me , basically any diet that is 500-900 cals is VLCD to me, slimfast etc are just a compact form of those calories, so no I don't think slimfast S/S per se is dangerous except that anyone who goes that route will probably have to take additional vitamins and minerals..

i look at the calorie content and then the nutrient content of all of them-

but the main issue for me is a good meeting, not one product over the other..because it doesn't matter how good any mix is, if I don't stick with it.

its good to hear that C/D HQ are more open to particular issues now.

Belle

If you are near to Ilford then I would recommend the local LL counsellor - she is near to the main station and bus routes.
I prefer CD as there are more flavours.
Let us know what you choose in the end!

I will, :p its going to be the meeting that matters most, flavours I can add to any basic vanilla milk base..:cool:

Thanks, Belle.

Hi folks, CD HQ isn't being helpful regarding CD councillors in London who run groups. I'm not sure if it is against down this forum's policy to point out which CD councillors run groups and which ones don't . Still, it would be extremely useful if there is a way of finding out. I found out about one but she really is a long way off in I think zone three or four. It would be brilliant if there were a CT councillor who ran a group in zone one or two.

Belle.

CD HQ isn't being helpful regarding CD councillors in London who run groups.

I doubt they know. CDCs are self employed and as long as they bide by the code of conduct, they can have groups or not depending on what they find works best for them and their clients. They don't have to inform Cambridge, so Cambridge wouldn't know.

I don't think many CDCs run groups though. I probably wouldn't unless I had to for some reason as I find people's needs are different and so easier to help them on a one to one. Well, for me it is. Might change my mind at a later day though.

Ah...no wonder, thanks for letting me know, I wondered if CD HQ were just stone walling.The group as a format isn't too popular , I have been ringing around. I know running a group is a skill set and might even be more work than seeing people one to one.

Belle

Hi

If you go to your search engine and type in the areas you are willing to travel to you can then use the postcode of say the council office or library. This will bring up all CDC's in that area you can then read through their pages and maybe you will find someone who runs groups.

You say in an earlier post"Given how much a weeks supply is, I am looking for value for money." it might be worth knowing that the majority of CDC's only charge the retail price of the packs there is no charge for 'Counselling'.

You may find if you locate a CDC who runs groups there could be an added charge for this,maybe not as we all operate differently.

Hope you find someone who can assist you.

I do, she's based in South Ruslip. She does three group sessions a week

Hi Louisa, many thanks, this is the only solid lead I have got so far and I checked this evening Ruislip is in Zone 5, :cry:. However if one group meeting is over the weekend , its doable and the group setting matters as much to me as the right product.

I have spoken to some very informed CDC but none run a group.

Hope things are going well for you on your program.

Belle

Hi

If you go to your search engine and type in the areas you are willing to travel to you can then use the postcode of say the council office or library. This will bring up all CDC's in that area you can then read through their pages and maybe you will find someone who runs groups.

You say in an earlier post"Given how much a weeks supply is, I am looking for value for money." it might be worth knowing that the majority of CDC's only charge the retail price of the packs there is no charge for 'Counselling'.

You may find if you locate a CDC who runs groups there could be an added charge for this,maybe not as we all operate differently.

Hope you find someone who can assist you.

Thanks Linda, I am not looking for counselling, just a bunch of faces doing the same thing, experiencing the same highs and lows, face to face sharing of the journey and a bit of a laugh, maybe every so often a few tissues.

The journey is lonely enough as it is and a kindly soul saying "you can do it, don't give up" face to face maybe what gets me through some weeks.

Paying extra wil be a budgeting issue and I might have to start ebaying with some vengence. Either ways, while its seems lighter life is not for me, what I take from what many of the women are saying who are paying £70 a week is that it is an investment .

So I have to ask myself 'what price am I prepared to pay for health'.

The pages in the search engines do not list groups at least not the ones I have seen so far, but I will continue to ring around, I am optimistic that I'll find one, and if not I do have someone who sounds very good who while not running a group I can pick up my first batch of supplies from.

Thanks for the info and the well wishes.

Belle

Back