loose skin after weight loss

rubyberrie

Working My Way to Thin!
I have recently lost 2 stone, I did lose it quite quickly, probably since the end of October.

I am now at my ideal weight, but I notice my skin has become quite loose on certain parts of my body

I am 52 and was wondering if this will correct itself on it's own, or does anyone have any suggestions (apart from surgery) what they may have used to tone up their skin again

Appreciate any suggestions :)

Hi Sue, im having the same problem too. Im 56 (almost! in couple of weeks) and I lost well over 6st, so I was expecting some skin issues. It scared me for a little while, but ive lost some more weight since hitting my original target of 11.10 in November and the skin hasnt got any worse, so thats something.

Age is obviously an issue as that alone will be responsible for some loss of elasticity. Are you post menopausal yet? I am, so im not expecting a lot of improvement in my skin, and I am kind of getting used to it now, but toning excercises have to be the best thing to try, to get the muscle under the skin the best chance of firming up, will then give a better base for the skin to be on. Its got to help, except im just not interested in toning up. Im still hoping that given 6 months it will sort itself out to a degree but that may be wishful thinking lol.

Maybe some eostrogen based skin cream could help too, though im not really sure if that sort of thing is readily available over the counter.

Hello Lynn
I am 56 I lost 12 stone in 12 months after gradually getting heavier and heavier over 25 years.
I was expecting loose skin to be a real problem requiring surgery and did speak to my GP about the possibility of getting NHS funding if necessary. I thought I would end up with an apron of loose flesh
and flaps of skin around my knees.
Thankfully that didn't happen. I am a busy person, but I don't really exercise although nowadays I walk quite a lot and walk upstairs and up hills, sometimes in heels, etc which was in unheard of before.
I have bat wings,but not much worse than many women my age.
I haven't had children, luckily my tummy isn't too bad.
Boobs a bit saggy, but a nice bra does the trick. Before I had to have heavy duty bras which always dug in and were uncomfortable.
I know my neck is a bit scraggy, but I feel fab and healthy, my skin feels nice and elastic.

I drink loads of water, don't use any special creams and yes, it does get better as time goes on.

So far I haven't scared any small children as far as I'm aware!

Hello Lynn
I am 56 I lost 12 stone in 12 months after gradually getting heavier and heavier over 25 years.
I was expecting loose skin to be a real problem requiring surgery and did speak to my GP about the possibility of getting NHS funding if necessary. I thought I would end up with an apron of loose flesh
and flaps of skin around my knees.
Thankfully that didn't happen. I am a busy person, but I don't really exercise although nowadays I walk quite a lot and walk upstairs and up hills, sometimes in heels, etc which was in unheard of before.
I have bat wings,but not much worse than many women my age.
I haven't had children, luckily my tummy isn't too bad.
Boobs a bit saggy, but a nice bra does the trick. Before I had to have heavy duty bras which always dug in and were uncomfortable.
I know my neck is a bit scraggy, but I feel fab and healthy, my skin feels nice and elastic.

I drink loads of water, don't use any special creams and yes, it does get better as time goes on.

So far I haven't scared any small children as far as I'm aware!

Thats really good to know Slenda, Ive seen your pics on the forum and you look amazing. Im really struggling with maintaining, scared really that I will gain weight. Ive actually lost another stone since hitting my original target, as it seems easier to keep losing than work out how to stay the same. How have you coped with maintaining? I see you have maintained for quite a while now.

I'm aiming to lose around 11 stone over the next couple of years. I am 25 at the moment and am concerned about possible skin issues (although at the moment I would love to have those problems) - Am I right in thinking that with that amount of weight loss surgery is the only answer to the subsequent skin issues?

Daily application of Cocoa Butter is supposed to help big time! I use mine daily anyway and I want to lose around 4-5 stone.
It might help?

I'm aiming to lose around 11 stone over the next couple of years. I am 25 at the moment and am concerned about possible skin issues (although at the moment I would love to have those problems) - Am I right in thinking that with that amount of weight loss surgery is the only answer to the subsequent skin issues?

You are probably young enough to recover well skin wise from that amount of excess weight, but yo wont really know until you start getting close to your goal. But Slendablenda lost 12st in a much shorter period and hasnt had to resort to surgery, so you may well get away with it. Good luck though!

That's good news Lynn thanks! Will try coco butter whilst I lose weight aswell to help it along the way!

Hi Lyn
You asked about how I maintain.
My motivation comes from the fact that my life has changed beyond recognition almost. I am much more at ease with myself, my health has improved. When I was obese I was constantly getting chest infections, sore throats, and all sorts of respiratory problems culminating in pneumonia. I had loads of time off work, very low energy, hated myself and the world. I didn't realise it at the time, but I think I became Mrs.Angry and it's true, you do get back what you give out. I also had Plantar Fasciitis which is a foot condition, makes it very painful to even put your foot to the ground. ALL GONE !
Every day something happens to remind me, apart from being able to wear nice clothes, high heels (and walk in them).
Today - I haven't worn an apron for years. Always said I didn't like them. I expect you can guess why. Too small, wouldn't do up.
Today I was skinning and filleting a fish for supper. Took an apron out of my cupboard that someone gave me for Christmas.
Not only did it cover my boobs, tummy properly - the tapes crossed at the back and came back round to the front to tie - like real people !!!! Result. HURRAH.

I did Lighter life which is a VLCD. I've never re-introduced potatoes, bread, crisps, cakes etc. I'm careful what I eat, but not obsessive. I don't drink nearly as much alcohol as I used to.
I enjoy a healthy diet with some treats. I eat loads of fruit, salads and veg, drink lots of water. I also drink too much black coffee.
I'm not a Saint. I put on a few pounds over the Autumn (I feel the cold since I became slim) and then 5lbs over Christmas and New Year, so i've been back on LL for January.One more week to go.
I'm back in my Size 10 skinny jeans and no muffin top! Feeling good agiain. Loving it.
The other important thing for me, I go to LL Maintainers Group once a week to keep on track and only get weighed there. I don't have scales at home. I LOVE MY NEW LIFE.
I feel like I've been re-born. If I feel wobbly about it I remember how it used to be. I ain't going back to EVANS even though I was glad it was there at the time.
Sorry to go on, but you did ask !!!:D

Back