Losingit's losing it journey

I have a friend like this, and to get round it I either tell her I'll take my own food, so as not to give her the option, or cater for both of us or I only ever arrange to see her for coffee. Over the years I've got really fed up with people trying to sabotage my efforts because our diet opinions differ. I've also told her I was borderline diabetic and that low carb is my gp's idea (a lie, but she seems to accept that).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think she'd be easily offended if i took my own food. The salad idea is a good one, believe it or not, i very rarely eat salad so forgot to consider that, i'm sure that would be do-able. Even just a slice of cheese or ham is enough to do me for lunch until i get home again, i really don't mind, i only have to last til 3pm. Yes, just eating fruit and veg is not good is it!? She is quite a bit thinner than me and considers herself a bit of a health guru though so thinks she knows best on everything, diet is not something we discuss in detail because we'd get into huge arguments about it. Think i'll just play it by ear, she knows what diet i'm on and how much losing weight means to me so if she is any friend at all she won't try and force feed me stuff i don't want to eat, maybe i should give her more credit. If she does make sandwiches i'll just ask for the filling on it's own, no bread. We'll see... will let you know how it goes.

It's definitely difficult to navigate social situations - I find it hard because I don't like telling anyone I'm on a diet. But you've trusted her with that information, it's important that she respect it. Whatever her opinions it's your body and not her job to police what goes into it, whether you want to eat a plate of chips or a nice bit of protein & salad.

In general it seems like telling people you're cutting out gluten and starch is easier than saying you're doing Atkins, and amounts to much the same thing.

My friend was sat eating a McDonald's whilst lecturing me on how Atkins wasnt good for you, hmmmm lol xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Crisis averted.... my friend's son (who is in the same class at school as my daughter, that's how i met her, at school) is not very well today, so i won't be going to her house. As much as i like spending time with my new friend, i'm pleased i don't have to worry about lunch. :)

Just had a chat with my friend, we re-arranged the meeting for another day and she actually asked me what i could eat, hooray! She is going to do a chicken salad :).

Hi, glad u got round that hurdle, another thing you could say at another time is that you are doing to 5:2 diet, which has loads of health benefits, just make sure u eat before you go.

Well done on the pound hun!

Re friends and eating, I usually do like ML suggested and say I'm low carb because I'm reacting to wheat, etc - amazing how many people calm down!

Was feeling depressed today, because ever since weigh in on Tuesday, i gained 2lbs and it wasn't shifting, i'm used to daily water fluctuations but it was strange for me to gain 2lbs and keep them on for 3 days in a row. So, after almost 40 days of being perfect on Atkins i've had a big carb binge today. Ate two bags of crisps, a kit kat, KFC for dinner. Not too huge but big enough to get me out of ketosis for sure, probably at least 200g of carbs. Who knows, it might help, i found having a carb day every so often before actually helped spur on the weightloss again the following week, it might break me through 14stone 7 finally once i lose the water weight again. Will definitely be back to 100% tomorrow because i'm feeling rotten and bloated now, had my fill of carbs.

If i can't break through 14stone 7 in February then i'm going to look to change to a different diet because that will have been almost 3 months without breaking through and perhaps i need to do something different for a month or two.

Morning hun hope ur feeling better? Big hugs xxx

I can be so dis heartening following a plan and it not working, I'm the same with ww ATM and can't wait come back to Atkins to get the scales moving again.

And your right They do say a day off every now and then helps the metabolism!!

I agree though, if Atkins isn't working now maybe u need a switch up xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hey love - maybe post really detailed menus for a week just in case there's anything anyone can spot that might be tripping you up?

As I said in your other post, when I feel a bit stuck I up my percentage of calories from fat to more like 70-75 percent, and try to eat mainly meat, eggs and the lower carb veggies. Has anything crept in that might be acting as a staller? It must be so frustrating, but you know the diet works for you - a week of back to basics may sort it out. If you need a break though, then you need a break xx

Well it's not like i haven't lost any weight at all, i've lost 1lb a week throughout january, but a lot of that was due to getting into ketosis and losing water, as soon as i hit 14stone 7 which was my low of last year, my weight has bounced back up 2lbs and stayed there. I haven't even been eating much veggies, when i say i've been 100%, i've been totally on plan without any slips and not eaten anything processed, etc. Most days my carb was even below 15g. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs (either a cheese omlette, or boiled eggs, or fried)

Lunch: Roast chicken thighs roasted in olive oil or butter, green veg either cabbage or broccoli

Dinner: butter fried steak with fried mushrooms or chicken mayonnaise salad (lettuce, cucumber)

Snacks: cheese, leftovers, coffee with unsweetened almond milk, crispy bacon, tuna & mayonnaise

It's really frustrating because i'm more 'on plan' than i've ever been yet my weight won't go below 14 stone 7, i know i've only been here for a little while in 2013, but at the end of 2012 i was stuck at this weight for getting on 6 weeks i think. At that time i upped exercise a lot and it didn't help.

So, after yesterdays big carb pigout i only gained 2lbs, which is obviously water weight. Surprised it wasn't more, maybe i'll put on some more by tomorrow.

Thinking about going back to Exante or a similar VLCD for 3 or 4 weeks to see if i can just push my weight below the 14stone 7 i'm stuck at. Either that or a fat fast.

That really is seriously frustrating. Your menu there looks fine, there's not much I could suggest to change it - and if you've lost on that before then you should lose now. I'm not a big fan of the fat fast but you could try 3 days (it's only meant for a max of 3-5) and see if it kick starts anything.

(I don't advocate upping exercise for weight loss - it seems to help some people but most studies show it actually negatively impacts attempts to diet - its best to implement exercise once you're maintaining or close to it)

Ah, yeh i wonder if all the exercise last year was creating a stall... i did exercise an awful lot.

I even cut out the MiMs on my diet, i had maybe one this whole month, and artificial sweetners. Only other thing i can think of is maybe caffeine in coffee, i could try switching to decaff. Think i will go ahead and try a 3 day fat fast and see what happens. Will take vitamins to keep me as healthy as possible too. If the fat fast doesn't work then i'm seriously considering 4 weeks on Exante, if that can't break me through then i don't know what will. Went shopping yesterday and have got tons of 'fat' stuff in the fridge so ready to get going today.

This morning's weight is 14stone 9.2lbs.

Oh how frustrating for you love - especially when you've been so diligent!

Give the fat fast a go, why not, be really interested to hear how you get on xxx

Does anyone know how to get the pie chart on MFP on the computer version? i normally track with my iphone app but i'm doing it online today and can't find the pie chart thingy.

All is going well so far anyway, having 1000 calories today in 5 separate 200 calorie 'meals'. Will write up my menu when the day is over, but finding it easy so far (compared to a VLCD it's actually much easier).

Back