Lost 4lbs in a year!!!!!!!!

Heading for the big 50:)

Bought some tandoori spices today and will be making my own tandoori king prawns tomorrow. Yum, yum.

Heading for the big 50:)

Bought some tandoori spices today and will be making my own tandoori king prawns tomorrow. Yum, yum.

Hi - I just hit the big 40 and strangely enough tis rather like 39 3/4 ...
I'm going to make a list of stuff I want to do as well - great idea. Just have to start ticking them off.
I did SW online until Xmas - the nearest class was over 20 miles away through city traffic and I'm a single mum so having to drag them with me in the evening wasn't appealing. I lost about 20lb beforehand and then joined for 3 months as felt I needed keeping on track. If you know how SW works then not sure how much you;d gain from it online, it's just tracking tools that you can do for free on my fitness pal or write down - that's how I feel about it right now and so I've decided to put the money towards gym membership instead.
Your head seems to be in the right place and that's the most important bit. There are of loads of SW recipes and low cal online for free. I've done a challenge with a friend - we are putting €4 each in a week & WI Easter Sunday - if we've both lost 20lb we split the money - if one of us fails, the other gets all the cash. Oh and I'm in a challenge on here as well with Rosilea. It all helps keep me motivated.
You've done great so far - keep it up.

I did try adult swimming lessons around a decade back but as I'm really quite short-sighted I found it really disconcerting being in the water and not being able to see or judge distance. I think I was also shyer back then so perhaps it'll be different this time round. I've got one-day contacts - perhaps I can use those or will the chlorine disintegrate them ... and my eyeballs? :eek: ps do you have a big birthday coming up? or are the funny about who they let in their pools :p !

Jojo - I wouldn't eat more if you're not hungry for food, but like bb says perhaps fit in more SF foods. Just build up if it seems to much at the beginning. I personally just can't fancy salad when it's cold but happy with cooked veg as part of dinner and it takes up room on the plate that I'd normally have potato/pasta/rice in.

I am really short sighted and contact lenses fall out within minutes ... so I just swim blindly but I wear my glasses for the aqua class - felt a bit daft but then the next week somebody else did as well!

Ha! that's great! It was a long time ago and I think I'm alright with thinking sod I'll just do it in my glasses - but yes definitely something I want to do when I'm slightly less lardy.

Your loss is fabulous and you've obviously got your challenge game-head on - reckon you'll be treating yourself to something nice come Easter time ... and we're not talking a humoungous chocolate egg!

Ha! that's great! It was a long time ago and I think I'm alright with thinking sod I'll just do it in my glasses - but yes definitely something I want to do when I'm slightly less lardy.

Your loss is fabulous and you've obviously got your challenge game-head on - reckon you'll be treating yourself to something nice come Easter time ... and we're not talking a humoungous chocolate egg!

I'd been waiting over 20 years to get to the stage where I felt less lardy to get back in the pool ... in the end had haul my lardy ass in there. I admit it was the longest walk of my life from the changing rooms to the pool the first time but guess what no one laughed, stared, gave a damn at all - and now even though I'm still quite overweight I've no probs going swimming and even venture into the male dominated world of the sauna .... swimming has definitely toned my shoulders/chest/ back area.... thunder thighs are a different issue altogether ... Don't wait - just get wet!
And thanks for the encouragement - hopefully will be a lot nearer goal by Easter - if I do it I want some of the primal/raw food chocolates my local health shop had at Xmas (at €5 for 4 chocs I wouldn't afford many let alone eat them!) ...first weigh in tomorrow since Dec 24th and expecting about 7lb on if I'm lucky. Oh well time to get it off again.

I know I should but I also know I'll give up if I'm feeling uncomfortable which I will with 4 stones excess - but it's definitely something I'm aiming for.

Do you have any recommendations for swimsuits bb? I've got 2 tankini's from my last holiday but they're both halternecks. Although they do keep my boobs hoiked up they end up being a real pain around the neck after awhile. I haven't got on with underwired, I have small shoulders and always find the straps too long. I'm hoping to go on a beach holiday this summer at least 2+stone lighter so think I might try to hold out for a bravissimo one - I hear they're the bees knees but so expensive.

LTM - Those chocs need to be delicious at that price! Are they raw inc. no sugar or dairy? Just thought they might be a bit bitter if so. I remember there used to be a chocolate bar with bits of cocoa bean nib in - anyone remember that? It was mainstream chocolate but the slightly bitter nibs gave a really nice deep hit to it.
Best of luck with the weigh-in - even if it's a shocker you know where you're starting from and the only way is down.

Jojo - well you really went for it eh! That sounds delicious, fillling and still in plan - so all good :)

Not really any recommendations but I can't do high cut legs or undefined bust, I don't find underwired comfy enough so I avoid them too. Sizes are a bit strange I've got a 16 from m and s that I've had for years, that fits, but the rest are 18's and 20's. I've also got a size 12 tankini sitting in a drawer waiting for me. I've got a purple one with a wee skirt that I bought in paris that I wear if I'm feeling particularily fat. OOh am I a swimsuit junky?

Not really any recommendations but I can't do high cut legs or undefined bust, I don't find underwired comfy enough so I avoid them too. Sizes are a bit strange I've got a 16 from m and s that I've had for years, that fits, but the rest are 18's and 20's. I've also got a size 12 tankini sitting in a drawer waiting for me. I've got a purple one with a wee skirt that I bought in paris that I wear if I'm feeling particularily fat. OOh am I a swimsuit junky?

Yes .. yes you are a swimsuit junkie - first step is admitting it! You could go cold turkey ... after all it is free food!

When I was a bit slimmer, I quite liked the boy-short type bottoms for tankini's - helps with the jiggly top thigh. I'll leave off thinking about it as I'm currently wearing two pairs of tights, pj's and fluffy dressing gown in a bid to stay warm! Soooo cold today, I didn't even manage to get my fruit in today as so busy so will plan better for tomorrow. Sausages, green beans, potato and sweet potato chips and onion gravy tonight - yum yum.

I've been looking everywhere for some of those boy shorts with a decent tankini top - something more like a vest than a halterneck. Guess it just been the wrong time of year. Bravissimo swimsuit were soooooo expensive, I like the M&S ones, I think it was called the ultimate swimsuit. Keeps you all held in really well. This time I just got a cheap one in Matalan but it does have fairly good elastane panel in it.
Chocs have agave in them for sweetness I think.
And weigh in wasn't too bad - 11 stone 12.5 lb nearly 36% body fat eeeek - want to get that down to under 24%. So am off for a swim in the morning. With my game face on (it's like my normal face but a bit more jowly and frowny).

I think you can mix & match bottoms in BHS - they had some last year but out of my size - this year as my size should be [better be!] smaller should be able to find something - me & you both eh!

Glad your start weight isn't so badas you thought. I confess I don't know what my fat percentage is - humoungous I expect. I do weigh on my ancient Tanita scale at home and I could look it up but I think I'll find it too depressing at the mo. Is under 25% an optimum range to head for? - I'm not really sure what a healthy fat% is seeing as everything seems to just be focussed on BMI.

I think you can mix & match bottoms in BHS - they had some last year but out of my size - this year as my size should be [better be!] smaller should be able to find something - me & you both eh!

Glad your start weight isn't so badas you thought. I confess I don't know what my fat percentage is - humoungous I expect. I do weigh on my ancient Tanita scale at home and I could look it up but I think I'll find it too depressing at the mo. Is under 25% an optimum range to head for? - I'm not really sure what a healthy fat% is seeing as everything seems to just be focussed on BMI.
I just googled pics of woman with 40% body fat, 30% and so on and I'd be happy at the 22-24% range I think. Men have a much lower % in comparison. BMI is a bit out dated I think & doesn't take into consideration body shape, fitness etc. I only know mine as they did it at gym - but you can work it out online as well.

I do remember years ago being about 8st 5 but still being 32% fat - really quite shocked! But I was on really crappy low cal diets and had a lot of muscle loss too so ended up at a decent weight but still quite wobbly. More exercise this time around I'd like to a look a lot more toned at the same weight .... yes this is where learning to swim will come in handy!

Tonight I'm at least 85% fat.

I've really struggled this evening. Craving something, tried sweeties and toast and cheese and loads of free soup. Ended up with 15 1/2 syns which isn#t bad but I#ve eaten twice as much free food as usual too.

Going to bed to dream about cakes.

Tonight I'm at least 85% fat.

I've really struggled this evening. Craving something, tried sweeties and toast and cheese and loads of free soup. Ended up with 15 1/2 syns which isn#t bad but I#ve eaten twice as much free food as usual too.

Going to bed to dream about cakes.

Hate those sort of days. My only cure was to go pretty much grain and potato free for at least 5 days a week - cos once I pop, I can't stop! Ended up scoffing a curly wurly last night, which I didn't want or need - just plain fed up eating as OH was meant to be driving down and then didn't. Doh - what is it with me, things don't go exactly to plan and suddenly my brain says oh yes - eating crap will make it better.

I seem to be fine today. If anything appetite small because I ate so much yesterday.

Curly wurly isn't too bad a choice. I swear by options hot choc though.

Usually for me it's carbs and it's unpredictable. I'd be so rubbish on the Atkins.

Good that you stopped after the one day and back on track again today. I eat for all sorts of reasons other than hunger and sometimes nothing really satisfies but hey it's over and you're finished with it right? Good! I did do Atkins for quite a long time but you end up having to be real quite obsessive and the fall-out weigh gain wise if you crumbled and ate say chips was demoralising. I'd visit the forums and people were giving recipes with loads of fake foods, sugar-free syrups and the worst one of instead of using apples in an apple pie - use courgettes soaked in sugarfree apple flavoured syrup ad I thought why am I giving up fruit and rice etc for this. I stupidly went off at the deep end with carbs to make up for the lack of them and just gained. It can be very good if you can stick with natural foods but doesn't really allow for very many treats unless you like cream .... a lot.

At the risk of sounding really old, so much food nowadays is fake and over processed.

I watched a documentary about obesity in the US. In one neighbourhood in Baltimore 90% of the population is overweight. They took the mayor there are asked him where he would buy a salad. All there was was fast food joints and convenience stores that only sold burgers, pizzas,crisps, sweets and sodas. There isn't a supermarket! within walking distance and it is one of the poorest neighbourhoods so less people have cars than elsewhere and the bus fare to the nearest supermarket cost as much as 4 burgers.

In the rich neighbourhoods they were all eating 'fake' low carb or low fat food.

I still swear by options hot choc though. :-(

Back