Lost 4lbs in a year!!!!!!!!

Love them but felt compelled to look up the syns. A shocking 14 for the small bars and 18.5 for the large!!!!!!
Licking the wrapper is free right?

I think I might have to stick with just a sniff ....I'll inhale it come the weekend mind ;)

Mmmm. inhaling cadbury's. I wonder. You stuff two bars of Cadbury's up each of my nostrils while I eat a courgette ... is this a plan ...

I made the mistake of going to the co-op hungry. Really hard work. Put the 1lb box of Thorntons back when I got to the checkout though. I knew in my heart I would NOT ration myself to one a day. Ate lots of free soup when I got home so crunchie still in drawer. I'm going to make pancakes either today or tomorrow and just syn them. Only consessions are skimmed milk and spray fry, no weetabix in sight.

Great resolve. 2 more squares of Lindt 85% cocoa have slid my throat this afternoon - pure suicidal chocolate it is. Oops. Other than that doing ok. No exercise today apart from taking small one for a swim - she spent most of the time in the warm hydro pool, which was ok with me - very relaxing. Kettlebells tomorrow ...

And are you having haggis tomorrow?!? Love good haggis - last time I was in Scotland had some really awful microwaved stuff in Fort William, such a let down I remember it still. Whisky cream sauce. Neeps. Yum.

454g haggis = 1149cals 613 of those comes from fat, so over 50% fat. A bit like me really :-( .

I don't know how they can run so fast!!!

Pancake passable, wee bit eggy 4.5syns. I'll work on them.

I didn't realise they were so lardy - that's an astonishing amount of cals!
Are you having savoury pancakes? Chopped herbs in the batter esp. parsley will get rid of egginess. I quite like a bit of egginess with the sweet pancakes but dash of vanilla essence will counterbalance it.

You know I haven't made pancakes for at least a few years - never sure why not because they're really tasty aren't they? I think with savoury I can never think of anything to put them with to make a meal. What're you having with yours .... so that I can shamelessly steal your meal ideas :D

I have resisted all the Double Deckers but have acquired a daily Hula Hoop habit which is not the best way to use up syns I know. It's lack of planning on my part - I walk home for half an hour currently in snow and am freezing and hungry and just want a cuppa with something quick and not cold. I don't want to cook anything and I don't have a microwave.
I don't have any HexB allowance as I've had it at lunch so potato snacks fill that gap. I know I could have Ryvita's or oatcakes but I sort of feel like the syns for a few of those are about the same as a packet of beef Hula Hoops and I enjoy that so much more.
I think I need to make some more soup up and have some in a mug when I get in - filling and warming. Do you have the same problem - any ideas on better alternatives?

About 10 years ago I used to commute to Carlisle. I had to be up at 6am and often didn't get home until 7.30pm. Well I couldn't face breakfast, hate mayo, so the only thing at the sandwich shop was pies and bridies or else it was lunch out of the vending machine. By the time I got home I was starving and craving high density food NOW and with no energy to cook. So while the pizza was in the oven I'd gorge on biscuits and cheese. This was when my diet was at it's worst. I found the best thing was the equivalent of syn free soup even if it's a pre cursor to hula hoops.

I still find that if life gets stressy I don't eat enough during the day and eating enough during the day is really key for me.

I don't think you should feel guilty about the hula hoops though. I think the syns are really about the proportion of different foods we eat so the junk is limited but not necessarily excluded. So as long as they are accounted for it's ok but it's much nicer to feel you chose them not your hunger.

Thanks for that - helps me get some perspective on it. I'm so with you on the eating whilst waiting for food to cook, I did that too - I also overly tasted when cooking so ie few spoonfuls of risotto or chilli whilst 'checking' to see if it's cooked - such an easy counter-productive habit to fall into.

On a working day because I get so busy I'm happy with my fruit for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch, I feel a bit sluggish in the day if I eat a hot lunch or too much, so I really think it is that kind of psychological winding down time for me - bit like how people have a glass of wine to do so. I'm only really a social drinker so food is probably a preference.

Soup will be my snack of choice then and I won't worry about the hula hoops. Just break a pattern and not buy anymore after I've had these for a while.

A new habit I've tried to start is to leave a little bit of food on my plate. I'm a fully paid-up member of the "clean-plate club" and even if I feel really full, if I'm at home I always eat everything on my plate. So the other day I managed to leave 3 tubes of pasta - not massive but a little victory for me. Obviously this doesn't yet extend to chocolate, pudding ... or hula hoops!

About 10 years ago I used to commute to Carlisle. I had to be up at 6am and often didn't get home until 7.30pm. Well I couldn't face breakfast, hate mayo, so the only thing at the sandwich shop was pies and bridies or else it was lunch out of the vending machine. By the time I got home I was starving and craving high density food NOW and with no energy to cook. So while the pizza was in the oven I'd gorge on biscuits and cheese. This was when my diet was at it's worst. I found the best thing was the equivalent of syn free soup even if it's a pre cursor to hula hoops.

I still find that if life gets stressy I don't eat enough during the day and eating enough during the day is really key for me.

I don't think you should feel guilty about the hula hoops though. I think the syns are really about the proportion of different foods we eat so the junk is limited but not necessarily excluded. So as long as they are accounted for it's ok but it's much nicer to feel you chose them not your hunger.

Tonight I hade herby SW chips. I'm really getting the hang of them because they were yum yum yum! I'm going to try making carrot ones too.

I know they're good aren't they? - I make them extra thin so they go really crispy - I don't parboil them though, just bung them in with whatever else I'm putting in the oven.

I also recommend sweet potato chips with rosemary, sea-salt and black pepper. Doubly tasty if you can spare the syns for one tbsp or less of olive oil, add1 or 2 cloves of garlic, then mush in a pestle and mortar [or use hand blender], together with the salt & pepper and fresh rosemary. Toss the chips in that and bake in oven on gas mark 6 or so for about 20 mins or until it smells too delicious to hold out any longer! They don't go as crispy as normal SW chips but really delicious especially with red meat dishes.

Back