Lost 9lbs in attack... put on 5lbs since cruise... ??

biowidget

For the first time I've followed this diet absolutely to the tee. I've been so good, not cheated in the slightest except for during attack phase I put about 2g of non Dukan cocoa powder in my oatbran porridge but still lost loads.

This is my fourth day on Cruise and I've put on 5lbs so far. I put on 2lbs on my first PV day, 1lb on my PP day, and another 2 yesterday (PV).

I don't understand what the problem is...

Might it be the sweetner? I've been using a combination of Candrell, Splenda and Maltilol and having a can of diet soda everyday.

I am doing 30 minutes per day exercise... should it be more?

Would it help to do 5 days of PP and 5 days of PV? I think I read somewhere that this was allowed but I can't remember where I saw it..

any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Can you fill in your statistics so we can see your current weight and goal?

More questions, sorry...

You said you've tried the diet before, but not stuck to it? Do you mind if I ask how many times you've re-started?
Also - did you calculate your true weight on the dukan-diet website?

Posting your menus would also be helpful to spot any issues.

Not this diet... well sort of, I was having things on the list but having veg everyday and I never did the attack phase. I did other diets which I sort of made my own rules for which needless to say didn't work

My true weight is 142lb, the website said to do 4 days of attack which I did last week but I wish I'd done it longer now

Yesterday was a PV day I had

Bfast -
200g 0% greek yoghurt with candrell
oat bran and 1 tbsp wheat bran porridge with 2 tbsp goji berries (from the dukan site)

Bit later I had a burger (I made it with 100g extra lean steak mince)

Lunch - grilled rump steak (forgot it was PV day!)

Dinner - chicken thighs.. i made enough for 2 meals worth but ended up eating all of it =/

Then later I remembered it was PV day and made a tomato/ cucumber/pepper salad with 2 boiled eggs

Then really late on I got hungry at work and had 2 pieces of bacon

Gosh I eat a lot now that I think about it lol... but I guess thats allowed since you "eat as much as you like"?

oh also I had 2tbsp organic birch sap and one of the fruit cubes from the website. I had 2 cups of coffee at work but there was no skimmed milk so I had a little bit of semi skimmed... maybe thats the problem.

Last edited:
I thought we were not allowed pork ie the bacon you can find turkey rashers in supermarkets dont think its the sweetner I use loads a day is it near you totm as water retention could be issue or are you using salt in food if so cut it out and see if that helps

Are you drinking enough water?
And what brand of diet soda are you drinking?

Ok, I've been thinking about your question on and off all morning - and I don't think there is anything seriously wrong.

1.) The only way your weight could change so rapidly is water retention - you lose a lot of water in attack (which would be expected) and something in the transition to cruise has triggered your body to retain water again. So abandon anything in the menu which might tend to cause water retention and keep drinking water to make sure your kidneys are flushed.

2.) I actually think that at your start weight a 4lb loss after 4 days attack and 4 days cruise is actually pretty good. I had lost 4 lbs by the same stage in the diet, (and was still at 4lbs 4 days later!)

So the anomaly isn't that you put on weight in cruise - its that your scales recorded a much less likely 9lb loss in attack, and now are reporting a true weight loss.

So my advice is not to panic, not to be dis-heartened, and to keep going.

I wondered about "transit"... "cycle"... and of course that bacon ;)

... 1.) The only way your weight could change so rapidly is water retention - you lose a lot of water in attack (which would be expected) and something in the transition to cruise has triggered your body to retain water again. So abandon anything in the menu which might tend to cause water retention and keep drinking water to make sure your kidneys are flushed.

I have to agree with Atropos here (again!) I would recommend adding some asparagus and green tea on your PV days. If its any consolation, I lost 11lbs on my 1st 4 days on Attack, then gained back a lb right when I started Cruise, then added THREE MORE (so 4 now) a couple of days later. That 4lbs stayed on for four more days and then dropped as mysteriously as it came back on. And then 2lbs more dropped off about 2 days later (so I resumed to my original loss and then had another 2lbs loss). At less than two weeks, I was down 14lbs!

I keep a daily record of my weight and foods, etc. so I checked just to give you specifics... I hope it makes you feel a bit better!

Thanks so much for the advice! I really appreciate it, i actually feel a lot better (considered giving up amd buying cadburys this morning since this diet wasnt working for me)

I have been adding salt but I always have done that so its probably not that. Bacon... in my book on the 100 natrual foods that keep you healthy page, number 14 of the eat as much as you like list is Fat-reduced bacon. Has that changed since the book was published? Because I basically lived on bacon all attack phase lol breakfast lunch and dinner! i hope its still allowed...
but I remember now periods do make you retain water, I'd forgotten that and I am due on in the next few days so I hope that will explain it. Im very very releived its probably water and not fat though, I was so dissapointed

I have waitrose own brand lemonade and cola and i think I have enough water.
Thanks also Soshb I'll try some asparagus. its so expensive so I've been avoiding it but if it'll help I will give it a go

Yes - the days before your period will definitely cause water retention.

Bacon is not a good idea at all.

The Waitrose Diet Cola is ok - but the lemonade is 7 calories a can, and so not allowed. It also contains large amount of citric acid, which can stall weight loss completely.

oh my god I didn't realise, I love the lemonade thats probably why - its got something bad in it!

Is there anything wrong with their Ginger beer?
Carbonated Water, Ginger Flavourings (with Stabiliser Polysorbate 80 and Preservative Sodium Metabisulphite), Citric Acid, Sweeteners Aspartame and Acesulfame K, Acidity Regulator Sodium Citrates, Preservative Potassium Sorbate, Flavouring.

The Ginger beer is 2 calories a can (I think..) which is borderline. It does however have citric acid.

So I would avoid it if you can.

Drink water - and save the soda for special treats not a daily ration.

Back