Lost all motivation for exercise!

laurenmay

Gold Member
A few months back I was a fiend for the gym! I'd be there every day for up to two hours before I came back to work after maternity leave, then when I started working full time I'd still make sure I managed to go there an hour a day after work and spend an hour or two there a Saturday or Sunday morning too... and now I barely ever go! Don't think I've been for 3 weeks, and I started 30DS but gave up on that after two days too.

So badly want to exercise, but can't push myself to do anything about it - how do you all motivate yourself to workout?

I'm in the same boat, just can't be arsed!

I was planning to start the 30DS again tonight (did it a few months ago and really did see the results) but I know by the time I'm home, I'll just want to sit on the sofa and not move.

Sorry, I can't help but I'll be interested in any replies you get!

That's how I am! I plan every morning to pop to the gym for an hour after work or do 30DS, but then by the end of a day in work I just wanna go home and chill out, and sleep!

I really need to get back into the swing of it, cause it makes me feel loads better in myself and gives me more energy, but I just can't seem to push myself like I used to be able to!

is 30ds the jullian micheal one? can you see results even if 'your big' as all before and after photos i found was slim getting slimmer lol

I suffer from clinical depression and ocd but started walking regular and have built up my stamina over time. I can't be bothered to do exercise dvds like I used to as I have little energy and due to my mental health and autism I get drained a lot. But I focus now on pushing the pushchair and walking which really has helped ton up my bingo wings and theighs. I now have more energy and I feel I have gained some control back :)

I always take my kit to work with me as if you come home first its unlikely you will head back through the door.

Also as my gym is a busy busy one if you book a class and don't attend they operate a strike policy so I sign up to a class, attend, and then once you are in the gym in your kit its a lot easier to tag your own workout on the end of a class.

I really recommend C25K and beyond- its addictive- you see results and you can do it anywhere for free.

Finally- try and get a gym buddy it helps!

I tend to take my gym kit too so I can go straight to the gym from work, but we aren't allowed to change out of uniform at work so I have to wait till I get to the gym and change there... But lately I've been boycotting the gym, driving straight past and heading home to slob on the couch!

I prefer going morning times, first thing when I've woken up, and weekdays I can't do that cause I start work at 7am so I've left my house by 6 to head to work.. Day off tomorrow, and don't work weekends, so promising myself I'll go tomorrow morning & both weekend mornings!!

My kit gets more exercise than I do it does 40 miles a day in the boot of my car. I always intend to let it out but something always comes up and I end up at home on the sofa grrr

Ah thats a shame- do you have classes you can book into? Even if you only attend the class a few times it gets you into the swing of things as you have committed to going and once you are in the gym half the struggle is done! Apparently it takes 3 weeks to make something a habit. Before this year I would dabble in the gym going in phases then not going for yonks, but I think I have honestly got the bug now. You have such a rush of endorphins from the exercise, I love how glowing my skin is after a work out, its really nice to totally switch off after a mentally draining day at work and just put in your headphones and go into "the zone". Plus the hour you are the in the gym + travelling/changing etc is all time when you might otherwise be tempted to nibble on things.

Did you enjoy going to the gym? Maybe you'd get on better with another kind of exercise?

I don't go to the gym but I do like to exercise after work. Before I head home, I try to visualise myself exercising and finishing my goal for the day and think of a few reasons why I should exercise i.e. You'll feel less tired afterwards, it means you'll have enough calories for a small chocolate bar today, you've been doing so well, etc etc.

Maybe write down a few reasons you want to exercise? Maybe that will help you remotivate. I have a list of reasons saved on my computer if I'm having a difficult day food/exercise wise. A quick read is usually enough to give me a boost, that and after three months it's finally starting to ingrain itself in me that I definitely feel better after exercising! :)

BerryBerry said:
Ah thats a shame- do you have classes you can book into? Even if you only attend the class a few times it gets you into the swing of things as you have committed to going and once you are in the gym half the struggle is done! Apparently it takes 3 weeks to make something a habit. Before this year I would dabble in the gym going in phases then not going for yonks, but I think I have honestly got the bug now. You have such a rush of endorphins from the exercise, I love how glowing my skin is after a work out, its really nice to totally switch off after a mentally draining day at work and just put in your headphones and go into "the zone". Plus the hour you are the in the gym + travelling/changing etc is all time when you might otherwise be tempted to nibble on things.

There's a few fitness classes at my gym, but they're in the evenings and I can't make them cause I'm in work all day then have my LO in the evening! I used to love going to the gym, and if I couldn't go one day for whatever reason I'd feel rubbish and guilty! I need to get back into the swing of things, I wanna feel the good feelings I used to get after a workout and have more energy again!

There's a few fitness classes at my gym, but they're in the evenings and I can't make them cause I'm in work all day then have my LO in the evening! I used to love going to the gym, and if I couldn't go one day for whatever reason I'd feel rubbish and guilty! I need to get back into the swing of things, I wanna feel the good feelings I used to get after a workout and have more energy again!

Ah yes, I know the feeling, for ages it was impossible for me to get out of work in time to make the classes sooo frustrating.

Faerylights idea of a motivational list is a good one. I use the notes thing on my iphone to put down loads of shizzle I want to achieve/remember and delete them off as I complete them.

Did you say you had tried 30DS? How do you feel about running?

BerryBerry said:
Ah yes, I know the feeling, for ages it was impossible for me to get out of work in time to make the classes sooo frustrating.

Faerylights idea of a motivational list is a good one. I use the notes thing on my iphone to put down loads of shizzle I want to achieve/remember and delete them off as I complete them.

Did you say you had tried 30DS? How do you feel about running?

I'll try the motivational list thing, it may work for me too,
I hope!

Well I started running back the beginning of the year, bought good running shoes and everything else but each time end up with injuries. I have weak joints so would either come home with a swollen painful knee, shin splints or a sprained ankle! So it made it not worth it then, cause the injuries would stop me from exercising altogether then.

I'm gonna restart 30DS tomorrow, and try and do it every single day.

Walking.

Can't beat it. If you can't be arsed to go to the gym, then go for a walk. It can be leisurely, or for a reason - skip the car to go to the supermarket or the shops, for example. It's a different kind of exercise to the high intensity stuff at the gym, but chances are you're moving for longer than you would at the gym, and the important thing is that you're moving and being active.

Life's too short to beat yourself up because you couldn't be arsed to get on the treadmill. This weather doesn't help either!

I'm unfortunate with the walking thing, only cause where me and my OH live is surrounded by busy dual carriageways and the motorway down the road, so there's not really anywhere to walk! I did go for a long 10k walk a few weeks back with one of my mates in a nature reserve, and I loved that, but it meant me driving there which cost petrol I don't have at the moment.

I have an 11 month old little boy, and he loves getting outdoors so I should take him for walks in his pushchair a lot more, but like you said - this weather is so naff at the moment!

Lauren- what about a skipping rope? Its an amazing CV workout , needs barely any space and is almost free (poundland skipping rope perhaps?)

You can pop in your headphones with some motivating tunes and go for it do 5 mins, and keep adding a minute till you get to 15mins non stop. You will defo feel and see the benefit :)

In exactly the same hun! Once I've done my work and then duties of being a mummy and putting kids to bed all I want to do is slob on the sofa!!

Back