Low alcohol = Low taste??

I'm on a mission to find something decent to drink in place of my usual bottle of Merlot or some other bottle of chateau de collapso.

On embarking on SW I knew the demon drink just had to go as it was my achilles heel and led straight scoffing crisps, cheese or chocolate (or maybe all of them, who knows!!:eek:). So I'm sharing the small insight I've had so far into the world of low and alcohol free.

So far I've tried Becks Blue 2.5 syns a bottle. Not bad, bit metallic tasting.
The Sainsbury's LA czech lager (highly recommended by Little Hippo) 1 syn a bottle - cheeky little number :p will buy again.
Eisberg Wine, chardonnay so it said. 2 syns a small glass. A small glass was quite enough. Hope the rest of the range tastes better.
Cobra AF 4 syns a bottle. Not a bad drop at all. Had some fizz to it and actually tasted like beer!
And finally, Bavaria AF WIT 0.0%. Well, the jury is still out on this one as could not tell if it tasted like cats or gnats. :jelous: Bought 6 cans, poured 5 down the sink.

Be interested to know who else has given up the booze and what tipple you're enjoying in it's place. Cheers! :D

Oh I have been trying many types of low alcohol wine to try to save syns! I'll be honest none of it tastes like a bottle of sauvignon blanc! :( but in saying that they have mostly been ok but a bit too sweet. It saves a few syns and means I can sit and "enjoy" a few glasses of vino with hubby on weekend without ruining a week of hard work on sw! So far best ones r first cape 4% crisp and fruity 2 syns/small glass. And aldis low alcohol wine 5.5% I think its 2.5 syns/small glass.

Hi Kaz, thanks for your reply. Thinking about it I have seen some of the branded wines in a lower alcohol / light version but I never thought about Aldi, despite buying standard wine from there before. I will check that one out. Thank you! :D

Hi Kaz, thanks for your reply. Thinking about it I have seen some of the branded wines in a lower alcohol / light version but I never thought about Aldi, despite buying standard wine from there before. I will check that one out. Thank you! :D

Yeah its much cheaper only 2.98 which is what enticed me! I don't usually shop there but started going for their nappies so picked up a bottle of wine in process! It's nice enough again a bit sweeter than wine I would usually drink but it has a nice flavour in my opinion and passes as a grown up drink! Although having said all that I gave promised myself when I hit the 3st mark which is half way to target (and I hope will co incide with our house move) I will be enjoying some proper fizz (not likely champagne on our budget but cava or prosecco will do very nicely!) It's such a shame booze has to be so naughty! Dieting could be made a lot more enjoyable with a few glasses of what u fancy each evening!

Back