Low BP - SCAN PICCIE!!!

LovelyLauren

My husband = My hero
Hi ladies,

Saw MW last night and she was quite concerned my BP has dropped in a week from 140 over 60 to 90 over 60...

She wants to see me again at the weekend to take it again and see how its looking, any dizzyness at all i am to call her straight away...

anyone know what could be up, and how i can get back to normal??

xxxx

Last edited:
Thanks hun, drink about 5 pints a day as it is lol so will keep doin that...

fingers crossed it was just an off day but will see at the weekend!!

xxx

Try not to worry, 90/60 is still classed as normal. Mine floats beween 85/50 and 115/70 and we're both doing ok :) They don't really do much about low blood pressure anyway, just try to eat regularly and you'll be grand :)

Thanks Shel! thats put my mind at rest, going tot ake it easy and hope its gone up a bit by the weekend!

I have naturally low BP and am always warned to watch out for dizziness etc, which I have had, especially if I stand still for more than a few minutes.
Pregnancy naturally lowers your BP in most cases, so again my MW's have stressed caution to me.
BUT.. having said that, what Kirsty said about drinking water can be true too.. I had an op about 4 years ago where they had me on a drip and drinking TONS of water to bring up my BP till I winged about it and asked why they were telling me to drink more when I'd drunk loads.. when they told me why I asked them to compare now and 'pre-op' to which they apologised, whipped out the drip and said to carry on drinking 'as normal'! lol They'd been trying to get my BP up further than it goes!! lol

The good thing with low BP is that it's less worrying to MW's in my experience. Mine said on booking in 'better low than high'. ;)

Hope your MW is ok with it all next time you see her.

It could be that you were just stressed when you had your bp taken first time so this is more of a reflection of your running bp!

Also, due to the increased blood volume in pg, your blood vessels relax a little meaning that it's normal for pg women to run on lower bps! I remember as a student mw getting very worried about all the low blood pressure readings I was finding and my mentor just smiling at me, giggling and telling me to take my nursing hat off and learn my mw hat as lower bps are very very much the norm!

sunflowers - are there 'issues' with low BP in normal life? I mean borderline low.. I have passed out before and can be known to nearly faint if in a stressful or medical situ personally but just wondered if there were any others I should be aware of.

Just pretty much the ones you've described, means you'll be more prone to fainting in hot weather or if you stand for a long time without moving.. Otherwise no, not really!

ahh that's alright :) have lived with those side affects for years! lol

Oh - and let them know if you have surgery, they'll probably run an extra bag of Hartmanns through to keep your bp up!

What's hartmanns?

I had a breast lump removed (benign) about 4 years ago now, and came 'round' to being on a drip and them demanding I drink loads.. I drank and drank and pee'd and pee'd.. come the 3rd drip I asked why I was still on it.. as was getting fed up of wheeling the blooming thing to the loo - to which the nurse said your BP isn't coming up properly.. I asked her to compare now and 'pre-op' and she frowned at me like I was stupid.. but thankfully did as I asked.. she soon realised why I'd asked and took me straight off the drip!! lol

Oh and my anaethetist commented on checking me later that I 'am a strange one' .. I didn't ask what he meant as didn't want to know if I'm honest!! lol
My sister is as bad, pain meds don't seem to work properly on either of us either, epidural didn't work on me so won't be going there again either. lol

Well after all that, ended up in hospital on Friday, went into work and went the loo and there was blood in the toilet and my knickers, phoned the hospital and was told to go straight to A & E,

Got there and my BP had dropped even more, and my pulse was racing (obv) was checked out by the house Dr, bloods taken and kept in for most of the morning/afternoon,

didnt scan me as baby started moving around mid morning (had been quiet up til then)... got my scan on Friday anyway so they said if i promised to stay in bed until then i could go home when the bleeding stopped.

Bleeding stopped about 11 ish, and they didnt do an internal but said that as my Rhesus status was positive they think its a low placenta that caused it.

Will find out more on Friday, but until then i wil be inbed, bored stupid, and hoping baby is ok!!

xxxx

I hope you're OK Lauren and don't worry, if you need a chat, I'm always here for you xxx

Make sure you do as you're told and stay in bed! It's only a few days, and it will be worth it.

If it's a low lying placenta it will probably resolve itself. It might just be your cervix thats bleeding, there are plenty of explanations which don't mean the worse :) Saying that, I know how scary it is so just try your best to stay calm and stay relaxed :hug99:

(((hugs)))

thinking of you! you take it easy now

Hey Lauren not been on here for a few days hope your ok hun, you need to chillax ( as my kids say ) lol.Take it easy and try not to stress x

Aww honey sorry to hear your update, but sincerely hope you've had a chilled weekend - boring as that may be, and that all is fine when next checked. There are so many reasons for bleeding in pregnancy it's untrue. Fingers x'd it all calms down now. x x

Hi Ladies,

Thank you all so much for your support!

I feel a whole load better hearing that some of you have low blood pressure as well...

Scan is tomorrow, and iv done noting but relax this week, so much so i cant wait to go back to work, the days seem to take 3 times as long!

Will let u all know how it goes tomorow, OH has been allowed home tonight to look after me and come to the scan tomorrow as he has been worried as well so got my support back which is lovely!

Once again a huge thanks to u all

xxxxx

((Hugs)) good luck for tomorrow Lauren - hope it goes well for you and glad your OH is there for support, I'm sure his head would have been with you anyway.
Be sure to let us know how you get on x

Glad your OH is able to be back and support you hun. Hopefully all goes well at your scan tomorrow xxx

Back