Low Sugar Tomato Ketchup

samjay123

Silver Member
Is Low sugar tomato ketchup aloud?. Its the Tesco brand and it's 1.6g per tbsp. I've been eating burgers that are under 15% fat. Just wondering if it will harm with a little bit? Im on cruise.

Sounds a bit nerdy, but I made my own! We had a bumper crop of toms, so had to do something with them, used sweetener instead of sugar and chucked in loads of spices, vinegar and fresh ginger, really tasty! Keeps well in the fridge and freezer.

The tesco one sounds a bit dubious, but if still losing, may be ok for you. I would be a bit cautious re quantity if I was you.

That's a great idea. Thank you very much. Shall give it a go! :) Only usually have half a tbsp a day if I do have it. But don't want to get into bad habits. So shall attempt at my own. Thank you :)

Ooh, I love ketchup and really miss it when on DD... do you have the recipe for yours Supertonic?

I would suggest you start making your own burgers as the fat contents needs to be 5% max. Sainsbury's sell extra lean steak mince that is 5% and they have deals 3 for a tenner. 15% is too much fat I'm afraid...

Hi,

I got mine from the low carb mega store, They do the heinz 1 carb Tomato Ketchup. its fab:)

Sarahx

Mirjam. Thanks for your reply. I just checked my book and it says no more than 10% and 15% is too high. I misread it. :-( I use a George Forman grill so alot of fat comes out anyway. But will follow your advice and make my own. I lost half a stone in week 1 so hopefully not too much damage done with the burgers. Thanks again.

charjoelily said:
Hi,

I got mine from the low carb mega store, They do the heinz 1 carb Tomato Ketchup. its fab:)

Sarahx

Oh I was looking on there yesterday. They have a 0 carb one too but not sure how it would taste! Have you tried the shirataki noodles from that website?

Tomato ketchup Recipe is as follows-
1 large onion, pref red but regular will do
Couple of sticks celery
Small florence fennel bulb
Chunk of ginger, peeled & chopped
Garlic - couple of cloves is ok
Red chilli - about half one without seeds
Coriander seeds - about a tablespoon
5 or 6 cloves
Salt & pepper

Chop all the veg and sweat til soft in a tablesppon of light veg oil in a large saucepan for about 10 mins. Give a good stir and add up to a kilo of fresh toms (or half fresh toms and half tinned chopped toms), plus a splash of water. Simmer away until sauce reduces to abouthalf. Add some fresh basil then blitz in a food processor. Sieve and put back into a clean pan, with about 200 ml of red wine vinegar and 50g of sweetener. Then simmer away til it starts to look like ketchup -takes about 40 mins but depends on how juicy the toms were.

Makes about 3 or 4 jars/bottles of sauce - I use old Mayo bottles, rinsed and sterilised in boiling water. Will keep for about 4 months in the fridge.

I hate to bear bad news, but the Tesco "low sugar ketchup" is still 16.5% carbohydrate of which 10.5% is sugar.

You really can't trust any manufactured food product with a "low fat" or "Low sugar" label on it - if a regular sausage is 25% fat the manufacturer can make a 20% fat sausage and call it "low fat" and an 18% fat sausage and call it "extra low fat".

But all three sausages will make you -well, "porky".

Just one of the ways in which "diet claims" have actually made us fatter over the past 30 year - how many of us would think we were saving on the "extra lean sausages" and treat ourselves to another scoop of mash because we'd been good?

Oh I was looking on there yesterday. They have a 0 carb one too but not sure how it would taste! Have you tried the shirataki noodles from that website?

Yep I really liked the noodles (wash them lots and add a stock cube when cooking to give them some flavour). The heinz Tom ketchup tastes just like the normal one :)

Tomato ketchup Recipe is as follows-
1 large onion, pref red but regular will do
Couple of sticks celery
Small florence fennel bulb
Chunk of ginger, peeled & chopped
Garlic - couple of cloves is ok
Red chilli - about half one without seeds
Coriander seeds - about a tablespoon
5 or 6 cloves
Salt & pepper

Chop all the veg and sweat til soft in a tablesppon of light veg oil in a large saucepan for about 10 mins. Give a good stir and add up to a kilo of fresh toms (or half fresh toms and half tinned chopped toms), plus a splash of water. Simmer away until sauce reduces to abouthalf. Add some fresh basil then blitz in a food processor. Sieve and put back into a clean pan, with about 200 ml of red wine vinegar and 50g of sweetener. Then simmer away til it starts to look like ketchup -takes about 40 mins but depends on how juicy the toms were.

Makes about 3 or 4 jars/bottles of sauce - I use old Mayo bottles, rinsed and sterilised in boiling water. Will keep for about 4 months in the fridge.

Sounds great, i love making chutney and stuff like that, will give this a go

Back