Lucky7's Low GI Diary

Lucky7

Lucky7
Weighed in today. Now 9st 12 so have lost 4lb this week. (Should probably have started a new ticker but can't be bothered). Anyway - decided to start a food diary so that I can get some advice / feedback from more experienced Low GIers if I'm making mistakes.

So, today...

Breakfast
Porridge, Skimmed milk, sweetener, 1 peach (in porridge) and a pinch of flaked almonds.
1 mug redbush tea, and a cup of decaff filter coffee.

Snack
Apple and 2 ryvita

Lunch
salad (peppers, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, jalapinos, 6 black olives (bottled in brine) with a small tin mackerel in tomato puree)
1 orange, 1 apricot

Snack
Tin of mackerel in brine Nectarine and an apple

Dinner
Spicy chickpea and veg casserole with samphire
3 strawberries and some cherries

Snack
half slice rye bread with v thin spread of whole peanut butter and fruit spread (strawberry with no added sugar), 3 strawberries and an options dark choc drink (sugar free)

I also sneaked a couple of small squares of chilli choc 75% cocoa solids. Not good, but I DID manage to resist cakes at school AND at tap dancing. Wouldn't have managed that before the GI diet!

I've eaten more today than usual but have been packing and unpacking all day as have been moving classrooms and felt 'properly' hungry.

Morning all. To anyone reading this, please tell me about any errors I'm making. Any suggestions / tips for following the GI plan would be appreciated. I'm only just starting on this and am loving it so far, so don't want to mess up on it. Thanks.

The PLAN for today is in black. I will amend later in red so that I can monitor whether I'm sticking to the plan, and if not, spot if there is any pattern in where I'm falling down.

Breakfast
Porridge, Skimmed milk, sweetener, 1 peach (in porridge) and a pinch of flaked almonds.
1 mug redbush tea, and a cup of filter coffee (NOT decaff).

Snack
Apple and an apricot

Lunch
salad (peppers, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, jalapinos, 6 green olives (bottled in brine) with some leftover spicy chickpeas from yesterdays dinner
1 orange

Snack
Nectarine and 9 almonds (and two small squares of dark choc)

Exercise
Body combat class (1 hour)

Dinner
Ainsley dahl with mushrooms, cauliflower and brocolli added in (had some salad as well)
3 strawberries and some cherries and grapes

Snack
half slice rye bread with hummous and 2 cherry tomatoes (had peanut butter and sugar free strawberry spread and some grapes instead)

Bedtime drink - highlights dark choc with some skimmed milk to cool it down.

Overall quite happy with the minor tweaks to planned day. Will have to watch that the chocolate doesn't become too much of a habit though.

Last edited:
Sounds fab to me :)
You're on the right tracks x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Sounds fab to me :)
You're on the right tracks x

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't know anyone else actually following the low GI plan so am doing my best from reading and rereading the books. Mostly avoiding anything made with flour or sugar (and especially both) and double checking about which nuts, fruits and veg are okay.

Looks good the only thing I would say is to add some protein to every snack say your morning snack could be an apple and small slice of cheese.

Just makes the snack more filling...
However of your not having any hunger problems then there's no need to change anything

Lauren xX

I did low GI years ago and had fab results ... Just started it again this last couple months and my weight is already down 5 lbs ..!!!!
The protein is great ..... You are meant to have half your body weight (in lbs) of protein .. Eg: 138lbs = 70g protein x I sometimes supplement with whey protein powder ... I'm a nurse so works fab when I'm on an early shift x

Hi! Looks pretty good, as has been stated already the only thing I'd recommend is having some protein with fruit and other snacks (which you're mostly doing already) - not so much so that it's more filling but because protein and fat slow the digestion of food and so if you eat some with carbs it slows the blood sugar hit. :)

Thanks everyone - so, a little bit of protein with snacks. Will start that from Saturday, although could take some nuts to work with me tomorrow I suppose (I'm a bit phobic of the staff room fridge towards the end of term, so cheese / meat not options, but only one day to go then on school holidays woop woop).

Beccy :D

What I like to do for my snack is cut my piece of fruit into some natural Joghurt and sprinkle some linwoods over it. Really tummy and keeps you going for a while

Linwoods??? I feel I must be missing out!! What are they?

Linwoods is a brand, they do milled linseed with nuts or goji berries, milled hemp etc. They're really nice and full of good stuff:)

Breakfast:
Slice of toasted rye bread with sunflower seeds topped with whole peanut butter (VERY thin scrape) and no added sugar strawberry spread. One orange.

Snack:
Nakd bar 30g
Lunch:
30g wholemeal pasta, coleslaw mix salad, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, 6 olives, tablespoon of low fat hummous

Snack:
Cherries & half an avocado

Dinner:
Lamb (lean), cauliflower, b.sprouts, 4 small new potatoes, teaspoon mint sauce, vegetable gravy (bit of a cheat this)

Snack:
Slice of rye bread with other half of the avocado mushed on it, topped with 2 sliced tomatoes

Exercise:
High intensity aerobics class (knackered!!)

After being put to shame by others getting on with their food diaries while still working (I'm on school hols) I'm making a renewed attempt to do this...

B 7.30
Porridge (big oats) cooked with half water half skimmed milk and sweetener, served over 1 tinned peach (2 halves chopped up) and 2 big strawberries (chopped), with a pinch of flaked almonds sprinkled over. :p

Zumba I 10.45 - 11.15

S 11.30
Small slice of rye bread with a thin scrape of 'Raw' Cacao Brazilnut Bliss (organic raw chocolate spread with agave nectar) with 2 strawberries and 9 cherries

L 12.30
White bean and veg soup (from Rick Gallops Low GI book)

S 15:00
slice rye bread with 2 slices half fat cheddar and a spoon of pickle to make a sandwich.

S 17.00
Wholewheat, oat and blueberry muffin (hot out of the oven)
http://toddlertastes.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/wholemeal-and-oat-berry-muffins.html

Zumba II 19.15 - 20.00

D 20.30
Veg curry (from Rick Gallops Low GI Book) with a spoon of wholemeal rice

I've also got about an hours worth of cycling about to do as have chores all over the city this afternoon!!

Last edited:
Not done too well today - it wasn't a good idea to make muffins, even ones that are reduced GI. Far, far too tasty and tempting.

07.30 Breakfast:
Wholemeal oat and blueberry muffin and a nectarine

Body toning class 9.45 - 10.30
Change and swim
Aqua Aerobics class 11.00 - 11.45

12.00 Snack (was STARVING after all that exercise)
Another muffin & some grapes

13.00 Lunch
vegetable and bean soup (home made / Rick Gallop recipe)
Another muffin

SLEPT (yes, in the afternoon. Not sure if it was the swimming or the muffins, but I suspect it was the latter!!)

16:00 Snack
7 almonds and a nectarine

17:30 Dinner
Vegetable and chick pea curry with a couple of spoons of wholegrain basmati rice

I have frozen the rest of the muffins (individually wrapped) as I obviously cannot be trusted..
Now feel very fat and still lethargic and a bit 'down'. Will pop out for a walk to the shops in a bit and see if that makes me feel better. :(

I'd be no good at resisting cakes or muffins either. I'm a bit of an all or nothing person, so nothing works best. Well done for having the strength to freeze them before you got too carried away. I won't ask you for the recipe though. ;)

Just found (and tried) a breakfast recipe. I added a few flaked almonds to the mix, and used 1 large cooking apple and 1 peach that was going spare and needed using. I think it'd be good with all kinds of fruit. I tried a small bowl for my evening snack (very small) and it was delicious. Can't wait til breakfast time tomorrow!! I reckon this'll be good to take to work and warm through in winter for my afternoon snack when school finishes and before meetings begin so that I've got energy for my exercise class just before 6 as well.

Apple and Cottage Cheese Bake (2 -3 servings)
1-2 chopped apples
1/2 cup fat free plain cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup jumbo oats
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/3 cup sweetener

Mix it all together and bake in a dish that means the mix is about an inch or so deep (so you get more crunchy bits)
Bake at about 180 degrees for half an hour.

Last edited:
This is the PLAN for today so far!

07.15 Breakfast
Apple, peach, cottage cheese and oat bake (half of the recipe posted yesterday)

11.00 Lunch
Small lean gammon steak, lots of curly kale and green beans with lemon, garlic and black pepper

Going to visit my old work agency ladies with a card and big box of chocs because they really worked hard to find me good jobs for the last 2 years, so swapped lunch and snack around as snack is portable and lunch isn't.

14.00 Snack
Small salad with some smoked salmon

16.00 Snack
Apple, peach, cottage cheese and oat bake (quarter of the recipe posted yesterday)

17.45 - 18.30 Exercise
Toning Class with weights

19.30 Dinner at a Friends!!!
Danger zone this, as I have no real control over it. The chef (my friends BF) knows I'm doing Low GI and usually cooks quite healthily when he knows I'm coming over.
Just had a text at 11am to say the main meal is slow braised wild rabbit with a puy lentil and tarragon sauce. This sounds fairly low GI. He always does lots of lovely fresh veggies as well. Dessert will obviously be more problematic (and is always a secret 'til I arrive)

Meet OH for a couple of drinks (Gin & Slimline)

23:00 Snack
Toasted rye bread (1 slice) with hummous and tomatoes

Last edited:
Back