Lynne: Low Carb Fan

Hi Lynne, your diary is fantastic, rain or shine, good or bad you've been posting. It's the best way to stay in the zone and also have a record somewhere of ups and downs - and how to avoid triggers and boost motivation.

You're very lucky living where you are, my bro and his wife visited Fethiye in may and couldn't speak highly enough of the place or people. I know people who return there year after year. Lucky you x.

Busy, I know what you mean about people returning year after year. We came here 13 times before we moved here. Now we meet up with our friends that we originally met at the hotel (in another quiet village near Fethiye called Kaya). Ooh I am so chuffed you like my diary. Life is good, I appreciate the beauty and the bizarre, the fun. Sometimes I get to be a right misery. I am either up or down. But I do enjoy my net friends and I am SO enjoying the people here, so friendly. I do feel good about applying self to the WOE

Susie, there is one Pizza left but my husband can have it, that's easy. There are some Katmer in there, bought before the diet..... -They can be used as pizza bases. But I wont beat self up when I have them, it will have to be a treat. I will just breeze on like I did last year, I didn't beat self up when I lapsed and got down to 203lbs (10lbs lighter than now), what ruined it was the sudden death of a friend, which was a horror and then a bunch of visitors, dining out and all the chokkies they brought me from UK. Then our middle son and his wife, came for Christmas and we really pulled out all the stops, then MORE visitors and my hysterectomy. So I am here now, doing OK and feeling gooooood.

Lauren, you really must come to the Fethiye area to see it for yourself. But if you look about, you will find the hardship of the animals here, terrible to be aware of. We now have 5 dogs and its hard to resist more, but the ones we have take over our lives, and we cant keep opening the door to more.

Weight down a bit more -WOOO.

Last edited:
Morning Lynne,

So good your enjoying life, so good you bit the bullet and made what most of us dream of into a reality x. I've heard so much about the beauty of the region. Clearly you're liked your liked by the locals and have made an effort to understand the culture and language. Turkish is one of the most difficult languages - you must be very clever x.

Hope your winning x.

Weight down a bit more, which is great. I know it will plateau soon, then begin going down again (hopefully). Nothing to report, husband just headed off to Fethiye to do a few things, I opted for staying here. Its too hot to go there and suffer for the rest of the day. Tonight we will have lamb chops with runner beans, and mushrooms in a cream pepper sauce. Maybe a tomato :)

Yayyy, glad your winning! I'm stuck on everyone's diaries, really need to make a move!

Oh Busy, please don't run away with the idea I can speak it well. I sometimes surprise myself, but basically it is pretty dodgy. I don't mind trying and making a fool of myself. What I find very frustrating is 1. the fact that some here correct me, and THEY are the ones who are wrong. 2. the sheer number of times people fail to understand me. These tend to be the villagers, and (to be fair) they seem to have their own dialect. So I practice where I can.

We always planned to move abroad when we retired. But life was getting on top of us, we had had my father living with us for 10 years, he had COPD and increasing dementia. It was hard. Our jobs were getting us down too and I was worrying it would kill my husband. But life changes, sometimes rather suddenly. Sadly Dad died after his health rapidly deteriorated and the second of our sons bought a house. Our youngest panicked (lol) and said he refused to be the only son living at home, BAM we were alone :( Biggish house and jobs we hated. We grasped the chance and moved here. I am so glad we did it. Who knows what the future holds. The day after we moved out of our house, we had the sad news that our friend had died of cancer, one week before his 60th birthday. He had his retirement ahead of him, he wouldn't have been short of cash, he didn't live to enjoy it. We treasure each day.

Oh Busy, please don't run away with the idea I can speak it well. I sometimes surprise myself, but basically it is pretty dodgy. I don't mind trying and making a fool of myself. What I find very frustrating is 1. the fact that some here correct me, and THEY are the ones who are wrong. 2. the sheer number of times people fail to understand me. These tend to be the villagers, and (to be fair) they seem to have their own dialect. So I practice where I can.

We always planned to move abroad when we retired. But life was getting on top of us, we had had my father living with us for 10 years, he had COPD and increasing dementia. It was hard. Our jobs were getting us down too and I was worrying it would kill my husband. But life changes, sometimes rather suddenly. Sadly Dad died after his health rapidly deteriorated and the second of our sons bought a house. Our youngest panicked (lol) and said he refused to be the only son living at home, BAM we were alone :( Biggish house and jobs we hated. We grasped the chance and moved here. I am so glad we did it. Who knows what the future holds. The day after we moved out of our house, we had the sad news that our friend had died of cancer, one week before his 60th birthday. He had his retirement ahead of him, he wouldn't have been short of cash, he didn't live to enjoy it. We treasure each day.

At least you are trying to integrate, the more you practice the better you'll get. I was gonna say exactly the same about the dialect thing, my folks are Indian (Kashmir region) the dialect changes from village to village!

The biggest issue in society today is work life balance - good on you for exiting the rat race. We all take not only tangible things but also Life itself for granted.

I'm sure you've worked hard and have earned every minute if it - so enjoy my love xx.

So I practice where I can.

And that's the key to becoming fluent - so many people are frightened of appearing foolish when they try a new language. Luckily I stopped worrying about making a fool of myself years ago :D

We grasped the chance and moved here. I am so glad we did it. Who knows what the future holds....We treasure each day.

Boy ain't that the truth - my mum was on the verge of leaving my (awful) dad and setting off for a new life in Samoa, and then got sick and was gone - in two months. Really proud of you, making your dream happen. Hopefully within a few years, I'll be doing the same thing in Buona Italia :D

Susie, I hope your dream comes true. It is a big thing to do and we had to be committed to it to jump through all the hoops necessary. The evening of the day we arrived, we sat on the steps looking over the garden and off to the mountains and realised that we had done it! It really was massive. My only regret is that we thought the cheap flights would mean we'd see our sons and their families easily. But just after we moved here, flights stopped being as cheap, things dived financially for everyone, including us, and though we see them, its not as often. Thank goodness for t'internet and webcam. Its an adventure that we put off while our family grew up

I think you have to have a dream to aim for and its fun musing on where and when. :) Do you speak Italian? Lovely language. I used to be really good at Spanish and assumed I would pick up Turkish as easily, not so, 50 years alter, some brain cells have gone awol.

I did two years of Italian at uni (many moons ago), and go every year - so I can order food, but that's about it, so I've enrolled in an intensive weekend course in September, and hope to keep up night classes from then.

Wow, that should be fun! Hopefully you can get out there soon after the course and out it in action. Do you have access to Italian TV?? Hearing it spoken constantly helps. We used to have Digiturk satellite TV, which was great for picking up a few words and getting an er in on pronunciation, but the UK repeats were amazingly dire, so now we watch internet tv.

Well done for getting away Lynne and realizing your dream, so many don't. I'm hoping to go back to the US someday, but OH isn't interested.

I too would love a place in Italy, they're so forgiving when you mess up speaking Italian. :)

Hiya, I am fine. Weight loss has slowed down, but it had to happen. The art is to keep at it. last night we had avocado with a mix of crab sticks, mayo, spring onion, red and green pepper topped with toasted pine nuts. It was really good. BUT, there was no nutritional info on the packaging, which can happen here. So I Googled around and found THAT part of the meal may have been prety heavy on the carbs. WHich is a shame because I really like crab sticks. So far, I havent found prawns with the fantastic fishy salty taste of the ones you can get in the UK. I wish I knew which ones to get here. They aren't cheap and generally are all looks and pretty bland :(

Tonight we are going out for an Indian meal with friends. I have been musing on what I will have.

Last edited:
Morning Lynne, well done on escaping the rat race and grabbing your dream. We only live once and you are right, we never know what is around the corner. Sorry to hear about your close losses :( brings it home that sometimes you gotta just go for it. Sounds like you enjoy being where you are so you made the right choice :)

Thanks Lauren. Yes we love it here, and if we pop back to UK its with mixed feelings. Love seeing friends and our sons, love the shops. Love driving on decent roads (but the lanes ar SO narrow!! But I soon get twitchy and yearn for home and am very happy once on the plane heading back. Of course, nowhere's perfect, but at this time on our life, its pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
Sounds perfect to me. Home is where the heart is after all. I know when I visited America I felt like I was home..silly as I've never lived there but there was just something inside me so when all my animals go and Jordan is up on his feet and left home me and my oh will be heading over their to live.

The heart is split, most of it is here, but a piece is with my sons. I miss them, but they have their own lives now. Life moves on.

I hope you get to America. Its good to have something to aim for. Where in America?

Morning Lynne-stir ;-)

Understandable you miss the kids, but they are busy living their own lives after all. It's a trade of isn't it between the shops and roads and the beauty and pace of life.

Hope you have a great meal tonight - just stay away from carbs and the gravy and you'll be fine. Curried veg I.e. spinach paneer or gobi aloo (- the aloo) should be fine and very tasty x x.

Peering at (limited) menu. Was thinking mushroom bhaji, or bindi or brinjal bhaji with chicken tikka or Tandoori chicken. Does that sound OK?

Back