Lynne: Low Carb Fan

Peering at (limited) menu. Was thinking mushroom bhaji, or bindi or brinjal bhaji with chicken tikka or Tandoori chicken. Does that sound OK?

Not the bhaji's, as they're like veg fritters/pakoras made with gram flour usually. Chicken tikka/tandoori chick with a bindi, brinjal or mushroom curry would be better. X

Copied from Mimimins courtesy of Camrbidge*diet*08

chicken tikka (dry, no sauce)
maybe some sag paneer (spinach with cheese)...
mmm mixed grill
cauliflower bhaji
oh and chicken korma...low carb'ish

Copied from Atkins.com:

• Instead of vegetable samosas, which are pastries, try Shahi Paneer, a homemade cheese in a creamy curried tomato sauce.
  • Substitute roasted eggplant with onions and spices for any of the fritters, called pakora.
  • Instead of the typical lentil or Mulligatawny soup, order a bowl of chicken Shorba, made with chicken, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cumin and other spices.
  • A vindaloo almost always contains potatoes. Get a tandoori dish instead.
  • Enjoy a korma, which is meat in a cream sauce, as a replacement for any biryani, which is a rice dish.
  • Substitute any curried meat dish for any of the dals.
  • Order meat or shrimp kebabs rather than a saag dish, which is prepared with spinach and spices, but heavily thickened with flour or another starch.

Only onion bhaji is a big fritter, all the others are in a sauce.

That should be fine, sorry was a bit confusing as they sounded like they were bhaji's which are fritters but bhajia means veg curry. Sorry my mistake x.

Copied from Mimimins courtesy of Camrbidge*diet*08

chicken tikka (dry, no sauce)
maybe some sag paneer (spinach with cheese)...
mmm mixed grill
cauliflower bhaji
oh and chicken korma...low carb'ish

Copied from Atkins.com:

• Instead of vegetable samosas, which are pastries, try Shahi Paneer, a homemade cheese in a creamy curried tomato sauce.
  • Substitute roasted eggplant with onions and spices for any of the fritters, called pakora.
  • Instead of the typical lentil or Mulligatawny soup, order a bowl of chicken Shorba, made with chicken, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cumin and other spices.
  • A vindaloo almost always contains potatoes. Get a tandoori dish instead.
  • Enjoy a korma, which is meat in a cream sauce, as a replacement for any biryani, which is a rice dish.
  • Substitute any curried meat dish for any of the dals.
  • Order meat or shrimp kebabs rather than a saag dish, which is prepared with spinach and spices, but heavily thickened with flour or another starch.

Any curry may/may not be thickened with flour - it's alwAys a risk. But once you've been LC-ing for a bit you can usually taste it straight away.

Atkins is perfect for curry lovers!! Suits me as it means I can have the same as the family -carbs.

LOL, it's something that has always bugged me -why call onion bhajis that when they are nothing like other bhajis. Hmm, I may go for a cauliflower bhaji. *drool*

LOL, it's something that has always bugged me -why call onion bhajis that when they are nothing like other bhajis. Hmm, I may go for a cauliflower bhaji. *drool*

Lovely x. Enjoy x.

Hiya, I am fine. Weight loss has slowed down, but it had to happen. The art is to keep at it. last night we had avocado with a mix of crab sticks, mayo, spring onion, red and green pepper topped with toasted pine nuts. It was really good. BUT, there was no nutritional info on the packaging, which can happen here. So I Googled around and found THAT part of the meal may have been prety heavy on the carbs. WHich is a shame because I really like crab sticks. So far, I havent found prawns with the fantastic fishy salty taste of the ones you can get in the UK. I wish I knew which ones to get here. They aren't cheap and generally are all looks and pretty bland :(

Tonight we are going out for an Indian meal with friends. I have been musing on what I will have.

I would have thought avocado would be ok? I eat crab sticks but didn't think they were high in carbs.

I love the Indian and my fave is tandoori chicken and saag paneer mmmmmmm

The avocado isn't the problem If you look at this, in the Net Carb column topped with 25.38 you can see the Net Carbs in the crab sticks I had. As I say, I dont know if this is fair for the crab sticks I had because there's no nutritional info on the packaging. So I looked up some crab sticks sold in Sainsbury's.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 14.50.15.png

Afternoon :)

Can't comment on the crab front 'cause I'm allergic, but if you find some in the Uk that you like the sound of, let me know and I'll send them over :)

Weight up a bit today. I can't believe it was what I ate last night. I ignored the poppadums and pickles. I ordered chicken tikka, cauli bhaji and had a spoonful of mushroom bhajee. I did though have 2 white coffees :tomato:

Weight up a bit today. I can't believe it was what I ate last night. I ignored the poppadums and pickles. I ordered chicken tikka, cauli bhaji and had a spoonful of mushroom bhajee. I did though have 2 white coffees :tomato:

Don't worry Hun, if its only a little could be down to anything. Or the food could have had hidden carbs - restaurants often use starches and flour to thicken and pad things out.

Sure it'll be off by tomorrow. I think lots of water may help to flush it out.

Your weight can fluctuate wildly from day to day, hun, that's why they advise to only weigh once a week (although I can't help myself sometimes).

Am sure it will whooshie off over the weekend :)

Hopefully, yes. As for the weighing, I always weigh daily, always have, when dieting. Its interesting, back in 2003, a bunch of people in a low carb group I belonged to, decided to only weigh once a month. It lasted one month. Some found they had put on weight and were crushed because they didn't know they were going wrong for so long. I think some people do better not weighing often, but I use it as a motivator. I certainly don't let it get me down. What would sabotage me is if I begin cheating and dont correct myself.

What is it they say: 'Necessity is the mother of invention'? Well my invention is currently in the oven. -I had planned to make a pizza. One that uses cream cheese and eggs in the base. I bought what I thought was cream cheese, heated the oven, opened the tub and it was NOT cream cheese. I know it can be bought here, but I boobed. So, oven hot, me hungry. I improvised. I took a small non stick frying pan, put cheese in the bottom (because the original recipe said cheese under the 'dough' Then I mixed up twice the usual quantity of MIM mix (with almond flour) and put in salt and pepper instead of Splenda. I baked it for a short time and then topped it with spicy sausage, one spring onion, 2 small mushrooms, half a chopped tomato, cheese and chopped red pepper. Its in the oven now. Will report back.

Incidentally, a Turkish Pizza is called Pide. The difference is that the base is very thin and there's no tomato puree under the topping. The topping can be same as mine here or any combo. Try it, its lovely. Its up to you what base you use, LOL!!!

Well!! It wasn't bad! It was too big, I confess.

Pizza.jpg

So the rest is in the fridge. Might have it for brekky ;)

Back