made a 4 pound gain

Little Miss Determined

Skinny here I come!!
by sticking to plan i have made a 4 pound gain this week!!!!!

Have you got any idea why (star week etc)?

i was also up 4 pound... but i was away last week... there must be something you are missing.. do you measure your milk and whay type of milk do you use? are you weighing your cereal if you take cereal, these are the 2 biggest mistakes in our sw class

dont have milk or cereal all i can think is not enough super free

Which plan are you following?

EE - are you ensuring that you have 1/3 SF with every meal?
Are you weighing measuring your HEB and HEA?
Are you snakcing on SF foods?
Are you only eating when hungry?
Are you drinking enough water?
Are you checking your syns or guessing?
Are you measuring your syns properly i.e. level tbsp not a heaped tbsp?
Are you exercising?

Just a few questions to make you think about last week. Keep a food diary this week on minimins and we can look at it and maybe offer advice where you may be going wrong.

xx

GREEN DAY
Porridge 28 g made with water and sweetner
pasta biggish bowl
cottage cheese
swedish quorn meatballs
Total 0 syns
3 bananas i'm a bit banana crazy and fromage frais
3 apples
total 0 syns
rice
stir fry vege
soy sauce
quorn sausages
still 0 syns

maybe introduce a few syns and a few super speed as in mushy peas, beans , melon etc

Mushy peas and beans are NOT superfree foods!

on my list they have ss by them i thought that was super free too?

GREEN DAY
pasta biggish bowl
cottage cheese
swedish quorn meatballs
Total 0 syns
3 apples
total 0 syns
rice
stir fry vege
soy sauce
quorn sausages
still 0 syns

I'd say you've not got nearly enough superfree in there hun. Youve got 0 syns but almost everything there is quite starchy carbs and will be high in calories. SW isnt about calorie counting but you should still be trying to pad your food out with superfree where you can.

(Also a couple of little bits to check, although they wont really add up to much difference: Are the Quorn sausages the old free ones? (the new "Best Ever" ones are 1 syn each) and is your cottage cheese the free variety?)

Id try to have a bit of fruit with your b/f if you can and snack on superfree fruit through the morning (bananas are high in calories, and one a day is OK but 3 a day is probably pushing it a bit if its every day)

For your lunch, maybe try to bring the pasta down a bit (make sure its wholemeal) and fill the meal up with some veggies or salad or something else superfree.

Apples and stir fry are great, try to pad out the stir fry bit and reduce the rice bit if you're having trouble.

Where are your HEXes? You should be having 4 a day and I cant see any?

Also your syns - zero syns isn't good - you should be having at least 5 a day.

Its only the first week so I wouldnt worry about it, it could be a million things. Give it a month and you will have lost weight.

However from looking at this I would say twi things: 1) youre not eating enough and 2) youre not eating the right stuff. This is all free stuff but pad out on *superfree*, use your HEXes and some of your syns.

Good luck, Im sure itll pick up next week if you do this x :)

on my list they have ss by them i thought that was super free too?

No, that's superspeedy!

The superfree stuff is in orange on pp. 9-12. It has 'superfree' in the top corner.

Superspeedy (SS) (and Speedy (S) ) mean that eating them will result in a faster weight loss as they are more filling or have less calories for their mass - so they *include* (most) superfree stuff but things like beans and peas are also superspeedy because they are very filling for the amount of calories in them (compared to, say, a chocolate bar which has loads of calories but doesnt fill you up at all).

Beans and peas are free (as you are on Green) and superspeedy (as they are very filling) - but they still have quite a lot of calories in them so are only Free, not Superfree. They dont count as part of your 1/3 plate superfree if you were following EE. Even on Green whilst not as strict as EE regarding the 1/3 superfree portion, you should still be aiming for Superfree to snack on and pad meals out at least a bit. Superfree have hardly any calories so you really can eat for England on them without putting an ounce ion - but beans etc still have quite a lot of calories and should only be eaten in moderation (until you're full - not until you're stuffed).

Read the meaning of the symbols on p. 7.

If you look at the supefree foods you'll see many are SS, some are S and some are not speedy at all eg watermelon, bananas, mango, artichokes - as they have quite a lot of calories compared to other fruits/vegetables.

Superfree is almost any fruit or vegetable except potatoes, yams, parsnips, avocado. (Beans, peas and sweetcorn are not vegetables).

Last edited:
No, that's superspeedy!

The superfree stuff is in orange on pp. 9-12. It has 'superfree' in the top corner.

Superspeedy (SS) (and Speedy (S) ) mean that eating them will result in a faster weight loss as they are more filling or have less calories for their mass - so they *include* (most) superfree stuff but things like beans and peas are also superspeedy because they are very filling for the amount of calories in them (compared to, say, a chocolate bar which has loads of calories but doesnt fill you up at all).

Beans and peas are free (as you are on Green) and superspeedy (as they are very filling) - but they still have quite a lot of calories in them so are only Free, not Superfree. They dont count as part of your 1/3 plate superfree if you were following EE. Even on Green whilst not as strict as EE regarding the 1/3 superfree portion, you should still be aiming for Superfree to snack on and pad meals out at least a bit. Superfree have hardly any calories so you really can eat for England on them without putting an ounce ion - but beans etc still have quite a lot of calories and should only be eaten in moderation (until you're full - not until you're stuffed).

Read the meaning of the symbols on p. 7.

If you look at the supefree foods you'll see many are SS, some are S and some are not speedy at all eg watermelon, bananas, mango, artichokes - as they have quite a lot of calories compared to other fruits/vegetables.

Superfree is almost any fruit or vegetable except potatoes, yams, parsnips, avocado. (Beans, peas and sweetcorn are not vegetables).

To be fair, the person that first mentioned this (farmer me) did suggest that she eat more superSPEED food such as mushy peas, beans, melon etc. The peas and the beans are superSPEED, but you are right, they are NOT superFREE. The melon that was mentioned as an example as well though is both superFREE and superSPEED.

All good info though.

It really is quite confusing having superFREE and superSPEED - the words are so similar yet they are quite different.

When writing about it I always put SPEED or FREE in capitals to emphasise which I'm talking about!

When you say you have been sticking to the plan, are you sure about that? Just yesterday in another post you were asking for an explanation of superfree, and if you haven't got to grips with that yet I am not sure that you can be following the plan properly.

I am not meaning to be critical, believe me - it does take a while to get one's head around all the details!

I think you need to sit down with your book and read it through again, maybe contact your consultant and ask for more explanations.

You HAVE to have syns and you HAVE to have your HEA and HEB and those elements are lacking from the food that you've listed. You've only had one HEB (porridge).

If you don't have these elements quite simply, you're not eating enough calories, you go into starvation mode and your body literally clings onto every single thing that you eat. Including water. Which could explain a weight gain.

Include your Healthy Extras and have AT LEAST 5 syns a day for the next week and you should lose.

xx

GREEN DAY
pasta biggish bowl
cottage cheese
swedish quorn meatballs
Total 0 syns
3 apples
total 0 syns
rice
stir fry vege
soy sauce
quorn sausages
still 0 syns

I would say that you need to include more superfree food in your diet. Maybe try adding some fruit to your porridge, such as blueberries, etc.

I would also suggest cutting down on your banana intake as they have far more calories than other fruit. Maybe try reducing it to one banana a day and introduce some different fruit into your diet as well.

In relation to lunch, what else did you have with the pasta? Did you include any superfree foods with the meal?

Also, check which Quorn sausages you have as the new "Best Ever" range ones are 1 syn each.

You also need to start including your HEAs and HEBs - you only have one included in that menu which was the porridge and on a green day you should be having 2 of each.

Also, make sure you drink plenty of water. I find that if I drink less one week than normal then my losses are smaller.

Overall, I would say that you need to up the superfree foods and reduce the amount of stodgy carbs you are eating. By ensuring that you have 1/3 of your meal as superfree it will limit the amount of other foods you can eat anyway. Having 1/3 of your plate as superfree is essential on the EE plan, but I would suggest you do the same on the green and red plans as well.

Finally, I would recommend that you dig out your books and have a good read through them as you seem unclear as to what is and isn't superfree, superspeed, symbols, etc - until you have that clear in your mind then it will be difficult for you to stick to plan 100%. And if you are still unclear about something, contact your consultant, that's what they are there for!

Are you sure the quorn products youre having are free? Also do make sure youre having the one third superfree with your meals to limit your portions.

To be fair, the person that first mentioned this (farmer me) did suggest that she eat more superSPEED food such as mushy peas, beans, melon etc. The peas and the beans are superSPEED, but you are right, they are NOT superFREE. The melon that was mentioned as an example as well though is both superFREE and superSPEED.

Youre quite right, for some reason my brain read it as farmer me saying superfree - sorry about that farmer me :eek: - and just goes to show how confusing these two names can be. :confused: :(

I guess its because speedy/superspeedy existed before superfree was even invented, so it would be even more confusing to change their label as well. But SUPERFREE is what its all about! :)

LittleMissDetermined, why are you weighing yourself today - didn't you only start your diet on Monday? Scale-hopping will just make you upset. I'm presuming you're doing SW at home, so wait until Monday, and weigh in under the same circumstances as you did before - same time, same clothes.

Judging by your food diary, you're not going to have gained four pounds in five days. So keep calm and stick with the plan - read and re-read your books, as it takes a while to get your head around it. You can do it! :)

Back