MAintaining weight question

skinny-me

Hi everyone,
I have a question you might be able to help me with, i was reading thefutureisbright's refeed diary which is very inspirational, and she mentions that she has to eat 1200cals to maintain her current weight.
I am far far away from re-feed but i was just wondering how you work out how many calories you need per day to maintain your current weight?

Thanks
skinny x

If you use a BMR calculator, remember that gives the amount of calories burnt if you do nothing, as in, nothing :D

No going to the loo, no getting a drink. Just laying in bed fast asleep for 24 hours a day.

Most ladies who don't do a lot of exercise can maintain on anything from 1500-2200, depending on age/height etc. When you are refeeding though, it's lower. Takes a while to build it back up again.

My average is about 1800. I do walk a lot, but I'm old and decrepit :D
hithere.gif

Thanks a mill, i will check that out now,
KD dont be calling yourself old...im sure your just mature! :rotflmao:

As KD said you must add on to it your exercise levels.

The rate given is for doing zilch, even a sedentary lifestyle will add on a few hundred calories.

If you can get a good set of scales they can tell you your basal rate based on your muscle mass etc and that is a great start.

But ultimately it will be a little trial and error, if most women aim at around 1800 calories though then you won't be far wrong.

Mike

Thanks for the advice icemoose. i plan to be very active when i lose the weight so will try to calculate it when i finally get there!x

I do about 1000 cals a morning in the gym, I wonder how many extra calories that affords me, whilst still maintaining? I don't know because I am sticking to the plans at the moment

If you're 'earning' 1,000 cals at the gym, you just need to take off what you would 'earn' just buy being alive (probably approx 60 cals for a man, but you would need to work that out to get a personal amount).

Then you get 1,000 cals on top of your maintenance calories. But...be warned, some of the gym equipment isn't very accurate, and some don't even ask you for your weight and details I believe.

Also be careful that you don't exercise solely to earn calories. Not good for the head stuff ;)

You'll really need to experiment.

If you're 'earning' 1,000 cals at the gym, you just need to take off what you would 'earn' just buy being alive (probably approx 60 cals for a man, but you would need to work that out to get a personal amount).

Then you get 1,000 cals on top of your maintenance calories. But...be warned, some of the gym equipment isn't very accurate, and some don't even ask you for your weight and details I believe.

Also be careful that you don't exercise solely to earn calories. Not good for the head stuff ;)

You'll really need to experiment.

Cheers KD

Back