Maintenance????

Sammi N

Anything but Regular
Hi everyone. I was just wondering for all of you that have got to their goal weight, how much is food a part of your life now.

1. Do you still have to be careful what you eat?
2. Does food still tempt you in the same way?
3. Is your attitude to food different now?
4. Does being slim really take away all the insecurities and make you feel a different person or once slim do you worry about maintaining being slim.

Basically i'm motivated and determined to get to my goal but am just concerned that when i get there that that will be enough. I don't want to then think once im there im going to spend the rest of my life still ruled by food. I'm hoping that once im slimmer im going to use food as a source of energy and not a source of comfort!

Can't wait to hear the replies, i have the same problem!
Im only on day 5 and I have 5 stone to lose so i'll concentrate on getting down a bit of weight first lol
good luck x

I'm a bit ahead of myself and have 4 stone to lose, as much as im persevering and determined to reach target im also terrified of getting there and having an obsession about putting on weight rather than shifting it lol :). Good luck with your journey too, we are all doing this together thats the bonus. Love having the support!!

I am 'aware' of what I eat ;)

No.
Absolutely
4. Does being slim really take away all the insecurities and make you feel a different person
No, not really. Perhaps at the very beginning, but not long term.

or once slim do you worry about maintaining being slim.
I did worry at first, but not so much now.

Getting to goal didn't make the problems disappear. Getting to goal didn't make it easy to stay slim. Making the decision to stay at goal; learning about what it takes to stay at goal...and applying it, worked though :D

I'm hoping that once im slimmer im going to use food as a source of energy and not a source of comfort!
Absolutely no reason why you can't, as long as you want it enough :)

Such a good question, although I haven't got a lot of weight to loose I am very much hoping that this will help me cope with my years of yo-yo dieting and hopefully by the end I will learn how to better cope with food and not let it control me. :)

Good question!
I am half way through my CD journey but the real journey starts when at goal.
I must admit I am waiting until nearer the time (around 2 months) to worry about the next stage!
Your answers are useful KD, thanks

I worry about this too. I did lose loads of weight before and put it all on plus loads more. I need help in actually changing my attitude about eating. I have a good book by one of the pioneers of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy on weight loss. i might post some quotes from that. I honestly believe being fat is not caused by physical reasons but psychological ones- so if we can correct our thinking about food and eating we should be able to maintain. However, I've clearly never done this yet. KD is the expert and her posts they are really helpful to me.

Would love to see some of the quotes, i have started to learn so much about myself since ive been on cd and it has helped me question certain whys & whens, im learning from myself and cant believe that before now i havent been able to admit to myself that i am actually fat!!! I call myself big to get away from it, it somehow makes me feel less unhealthy. By admitting all the things i was hiding from its making me aware of what i can now become to not feel like that any longer than need be.

Hi, I'm not at goal yet, but almost there. I've been on here for a while now, and its been a long hard journey.

I've had sooo many slips, and its only now that my relationship with food and my attitude is changing. I kept getting to 11 stone and then eating just as bad, if not worse then before. Its taken me a while to realise that this is certainly not the answer.

I am slowly training myself on what types of foods are good for me, and I'm really looking forward to putting it into practice.
I plan to follow the plans every step of the way right through to the end and by then, I am positive that I will maintain and never go back to the old horrible habits I had.

Good luck everyone x

I do sometimes, it varies really. I used to count calories a lot but the past few weeks I've been eating basically what I want and I do realise I pick the healthy foods and don't overeat and thus stay the same.;)

No, it doesn't. Food for me was for emotional comfort. Though, in all fairness, during my CD journey I've gone to a therapist to deal with my emotional issues (I'd been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder) and I think now most of these issues are either gone or way less I do not have the same sort of craving.

I've gone through a time craving something REALLY yum, but not knowing what. I tried crisps / candy but none of it satisfied me. :rolleyes: But I did stop doing that and am now aware of what I eat and allow myself biccies etc. if I fancy some.

Yes. The first month and a half it really wasn't, I wanted to eat everything in sight and on some occasions I did. ;) But it's changed me, somehow, and now I don't need as much choc/biccies as I would before. When I was 100% CD free I felt as if I had to eat all the bad food I'd missed during CD. Now I know that's silly.

4. Does being slim really take away all the insecurities and make you feel a different person
This question made me laugh. If you have non-food related issues they will still be there, if you've had low self esteem or are insecure that very well may still be there. It is for me. Just because you become slim doesn't mean being slim takes away all your insecurities and make you a different person. You are different on the outside, yes, but the inside is still 90% the same. ;)

or once slim do you worry about maintaining being slim.
I do tend to worry about this but now I know I can I've gone from worrying a lot to worring a little once every while. I weigh myself daily and as long as I'm stable within the ranges I set for myself I'm fine. ;)

This question made me laugh. If you have non-food related issues they will still be there, if you've had low self esteem or are insecure that very well may still be there. It is for me. Just because you become slim doesn't mean being slim takes away all your insecurities and make you a different person. You are different on the outside, yes, but the inside is still 90% the same. ;)

That question was still intended to be about body/food not personal issues. I simply didn't word it well.

I just wondered whether insecurities about bodies whilst overweight disappeared once slim or whether they extended into other insecurities, feeling parts of your body are still not up to scratch even tho they are now slim. Basically does having a new slim body deliver contentment within oneself or are we ALWAYS going to find something to be unhappy with.

Hope that makes sense :)

That question was still intended to be about body/food not personal issues. I simply didn't word it well.

I just wondered whether insecurities about bodies whilst overweight disappeared once slim or whether they extended into other insecurities, feeling parts of your body are still not up to scratch even tho they are now slim. Basically does having a new slim body deliver contentment within oneself or are we ALWAYS going to find something to be unhappy with.

Hope that makes sense :)

Heya

Hope I didn't come off rude, really didn't mean to just thought it was amusing ;)

I have found new things to be unhappy with really.. saggy breasts, my tummy isn't nice and flat etc. It sucks because it makes it so I'm just as insecure as I was when I was overweight it's just about something else. Either way this is better than being overweight. Being overweight is bad! And skin will take 6-10months to shape up again and am taking good care of it so my insecurities skinwise are getting less. Will get back to you in 6 months ;):D

I can understand where you're coming from, when I was going through SS and later up the steps I really, really worried about maintenance. The first month and a half were rough, I had to get my priorities straight but it's really, really worth it! Fitting smaller size clothes is an amazing feeling ;)

x

i lost alot of weight last year (4.5 stone feb-june 08) and happily maintained til xmas... i then had a dentist appt and by chance found out my wisdom teeth needed to be taken out (had no inkling as no pain or swelling). i took this very badly as petrified of both dentists and hospitals and as a result ended up comfort eating before op and have gained 2.5 stone... so sometimes it is out of my control!

i hope this makes sense... i am a real comfort eater and i had a clear run with no issues/ arguments/ problems in life until teeth had to be taken out. so i thought i had cracked it, i thought the weight had gone forever but clearly i am still a comfort eater.

CD can help people lose the weight but it is no way a magic cure to stop 'issues' recurring after weight loss.

BE CAREFUL... like i said i did not expect to ever comfort eat again and now teeth are out i feel like such a wally... so back to SS for me.

I hope this helps... I am a CDC as well so I hope i can pass this experience onto all my ladies (and gents) and make them realise that their head must change as well as their bodies.

Good luck x

Hear hear, I think the most important thing is you wanting to DO IT !!! if you re in that frame of mind there s no reason why you shouldn t succeed.:)

I know from experience that losing weight doesn't make you happier with your clothes off as I was still lumpy and not hanging right but I felt a million times better when dressed than I did fat!
I do think as overweight people that we do believe that being thin will make us happy. Even although we really know that happiness comes from within. Does any one agree?

I do think as overweight people that we do believe that being thin will make us happy. Even although we really know that happiness comes from within. Does any one agree?

Only in the last year have I realised this and started to sort out my issues and live my live, to 'feel the fear and do it anyway'; to think about what I want from life and go for it. I definitely agree that happiness comes from within, but weightloss makes life a lot more pleasant in many respects.

Yes it does. It's like money isn't it? Winning the lottery doesn't guarantee happiness but I would like to give it a go!
Losing weight is great that you can just get up in the morning and wear anything. i'm always too fat in everything. i think that in itself is a huge incentive.

Agreed!
the only thing in my life right now that i am unhappy with is my weight, so at this moment in time if I could get rid of that i'd be flying.
Although im sure if I do slim down to a tidy size 12 there'll be something else to moan about! lol x

Heya

Hope I didn't come off rude, really didn't mean to just thought it was amusing ;)

No not at all, it just made me re-read what i had typed and made me realise that it could of been worded better so did my best to do that.

It is good to read about everyones experiences with slim, it is definately helping with my plans and targets. Putting things into persepective and encouraging me to make the best decisions for myself in the long run so thanks everyone:)

Back