Making tomato based sauces

kirstyb393

Just wondering how you get the sauce nice and thick when using tinned tomatoes? Mines is always watery :-(

Is it better to use plum instead of chopped tomatoes?

Thanks in advance

Sometimes it can depend on what brand you use - the cheaper tinned tomatoes can be quite watery I find, but then again so can some of the more expensive ones. Shop around and see what ones you prefer, I like the 'cook Italian' range which are from morrisons, they are quite thick and not too runny.

When making sauces, I find they work best if you simmer for a long time, like at least half a hour. When I make a tomato sauce quickly, it's not usually very nice! Too runny. So it's best to take your time with them.

Have you considered using Passata as an alternative? You could just add some herbs, garlic, pepper etc... Then job done! :)

Thanks

I will deffo a shop around then and try simmering longer

I used to like passata but one time I had it and it tasted metally and quite sharp :-( don't know what to add to it to make it better - used garlic salt and pepper in it - any suggestions

For thick tomato sauces always use plum tomatoes (tinned) not chopped tomatoes. You can break them up with the spoon as they cool but for some reason they thicken the sauce and make it velvety. I always buy the mid range ones as they're less watery. A tbsp of tomato purée also helps to thicken it. A pinch of sweetener should be added whenever making tomato sauces as it balances out the natural bitterness of the tomatoes.
Liz
X

Cook not cool!!

Back