Malaria tablets

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Meli, 24 February 2010 Social URL.

1. Meli

Meli Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm off to Asia in a few weeks time and the nurse said I should take Malaria tablets. Just wondering if this will have any affect on my weight loss. I never took the malaria tablets before, but from what I've heard they make you sick sometimes, so not looking forward to taking them. Anyone else have any experiences from taking them?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. SlimDreams

SlimDreams Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.81%)
    Malaria is very serious over here.
    Which ones have they suggested??
    there is Larium, malarone and doxycycline that i know off

4. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've taken malaria tablets in the past & would definately take them if you need to. Just think how poorly you will be if you get malaria, apparently it has effects for many years.

We went to India in 2008 & were told to take malaria tablets, but I found a website which showed me the malaria hotspot for the area/time of year we were going. It turns out we were not going to be in a malaria hot spot so didn't take them. So it may be worth checking if you definately need to take them or is it just a suggestion.

5. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

Ive taken Malaria tablets, and been fine, i think a lot of it is pschological (sp!) but better to take them that get malaria!!!!

I got mine from Boots, and you need to take them before, during and after your holiday!!! mine were a purple and white box....

I dont think they will affect weight losses,,,,,only if you get a side effect that is 'flushing you out' so to speak (eww!)

xxx

6. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I have taken malaria tablets when I lived in a malaria hot spot in Zimbabwe. I did get careless and forgot for a few weeks and had malaria. I have never felt so ill. It just is not worth the risk. I don't think they effect the weight but either way, if you are going to a malaria hot spot, find out the appropriate tablets for the type of malaria prevalent there. It really is not worth the risk!

7. Meli

Meli Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've been looking for the paper with the weights of my kids and the dosage they need and can't find it. When I do I'll let you know the name of the medication. I'm off to Pakistan so it definately is a Malaria hotspot, so won't take the risk this time. Just hope that I won't feel too sick with it! Thanks for all your input.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.