Man Killed by an overdose of Water

When it comes to any health issue (of which drinking water is part of health) then it is recommended that you discuss this with your GP as he/she is your major source of medical information.

I know I always recommend to clients little and often during the day and to space out your water intake but as I said if you are concerned about water intake in light of this story then either go and see your GP or give NHSDirect a call.

Mike

I know someone who died of drinking far too much water several years ago now. I think hers was part of serious depression. I've heard about other cases of the same thing a couple of times since. Scary that it can happen, but we're talking far, far more water than the 'average' person could/would even contemplate drinking in a day. Personally, I can't even manage the recommended 2 litres. For some reason I really don't like the taste of water out of a glass, but don't mind tap water out of a plastic bottle...not sure of my logic on that one!

I recently had a client who died after being released too soon from a secure unit after treatment for enduring Mental Health problems, mainly depression.

She went home on her own and drank approx 30-35 litres of water in 10 hours.

It's also a very real risk when anyone has taken what they believe to be a stimulant drug like Ecstasy or Speed (amphetamine sulphate) and be unaware of the effects it can have. The excessive energy buzz and inability to sit down often leads to severe dehydration, especially with Young People who dance continuously then suddenly want to drink and drink water for thirst and sometimes get no signal from their brain to tell them they are quenched and can stop. So they don't stop.

A reality and very tragic IMO.

Lacey

Isis, what a sad story, do you think she knew what she was doing? I cant imagine drinking that much, she must have been in alot of pain.
xxx

Thats Awful! Poor family

i've already drank 9 pints today...:eek:

Isis, what a sad story, do you think she knew what she was doing? I cant imagine drinking that much, she must have been in alot of pain.
xxx

Hi Whitesheep,

I don't think she knew conciously what she was doing. Apparently the lady in question had told hospital staff that she had a sore throat and that was why she felt the need to drink often.

Sadly, due to her depressed state, when she was discharged she went home alone and no-one was aware she had been discharged (including me!:mad:). All I can think is that she continued to drink water because she believed it would help a sore throat. Due to her mental health at the time she was not able to stop when you or I would.

Thank you for asking,

Lacey x

This is really awful - must admit that I hadn't realised that you could die from over-consumption of water! Will certainly be mroe careful about spacing 'glugging' out throughout the day ( although having said that - never drink more than 4 litres - struggle with this)!!

Yvonne
x

Back