Marathon Training

Hadn't check this thread in about a year. My goodness the achievements you have made Gina- I've just read through your posts. You should go back and read of your apprehension and fears and then read on go remember how you overcame them and made it through all your races.

I am training for the London marathon. I trained for it last year but got injured 4 weeks before. So I'm back again! How long have you been running? I think I was too optimistic to think I could run a marathon when I'd only been running one year. By April 2014 it will be two years so I am hopeful that will put me in a better position.

I've only ever done park run (best time around 27mins), London 10k (54mins), and Reading half (2hours7mins). I have a half booked on 23 feb, and a 16mile race on 23 march. Then the marathon on 12 April! Will probably try some park runs again soon too but the early start I don't enjoy!!

What do you eat diet wise? And have you cut out alcohol? I know it massively obstructs recovery whilst training so I am avoiding it but allowing myself 3-5 nights out where I would drink a fair amount, between now and 13 April - is that too many?

Well done again, and don't ever forget how far you've come!

Lara I hear the London Marathon is very hard to get in to so congratulations on getting in. I would definitely love to do it sometime, apparently the atmosphere is electric at it.

Yes I got a charity place for a charity I really care about so I am very happy about that :)

12 weeks to go!!!

Hadn't check this thread in about a year. My goodness the achievements you have made Gina- I've just read through your posts. You should go back and read of your apprehension and fears and then read on go remember how you overcame them and made it through all your races.

I am training for the London marathon. I trained for it last year but got injured 4 weeks before. So I'm back again! How long have you been running? I think I was too optimistic to think I could run a marathon when I'd only been running one year. By April 2014 it will be two years so I am hopeful that will put me in a better position.

I've only ever done park run (best time around 27mins), London 10k (54mins), and Reading half (2hours7mins). I have a half booked on 23 feb, and a 16mile race on 23 march. Then the marathon on 12 April! Will probably try some park runs again soon too but the early start I don't enjoy!!

What do you eat diet wise? And have you cut out alcohol? I know it massively obstructs recovery whilst training so I am avoiding it but allowing myself 3-5 nights out where I would drink a fair amount, between now and 13 April - is that too many?

Well done again, and don't ever forget how far you've come!

been running around 18 monthes, so not that long at all to be doing long distance!

I rarely drink anyway, but I will go out for a night out if im free and asked!!! food wise, I try to be healthy but chocolate is the weakness.

you've got a good pace, im not fast but I plod along happily singing along to my ipod. I look like a nutter in races. :p
youll do good in april, im not counting on a fast time on mine even though its entirely flat. its the week after an ultra and my feet are already wrecked, after doing 40 miles they will be worse!

congrats on getting in London! my brothers tried to enter it for 6 years, hasn't got in!

i still reget backing out of the marathon now, and watching the london one just made me feel worse.

theres one in april 2014 in blackpool. the route is flat and easy. getting a tshirt printed for it, and i will do it.
no wimping out :)

im booked in and payed for this one, the one I wimped out of.
its a recovery after the Oldham way ultra but a recovery that will be tough. I got blisters 6 miles in a half marathon recovery race after my last marathon, I aint looking forward to these blisters

I thought you got an automatic place if you applied 5 year in a row and didn't get in Gina?

I'm really struggling with motivation on the days i have to go out and run alone. I just can't seem to get myself out of the door. Not sure what is wrong with me! I'm meeting another beginner tomorrow night at the Sweatshop and we're going to run their 5k route using the beginners plan. Fingers crossed.

He might have tried 4 times then, I know he's been wanting to get in that for a long time now.

Looking forward to my long run in 2 weeks! Running 20 miles with a friend.

another marathon entered. wakefield

please stop me now...

I gave that up ages ago, just too lazy to change it :p

The friend that's running the Bolton hill marathon with me is injured :( noooooo

Oh no. When is it? What's the injury? So scary when they suddenly creep up on you!!

been running around 18 monthes, so not that long at all to be doing long distance! I rarely drink anyway, but I will go out for a night out if im free and asked!!! food wise, I try to be healthy but chocolate is the weakness. you've got a good pace, im not fast but I plod along happily singing along to my ipod. I look like a nutter in races. :p youll do good in april, im not counting on a fast time on mine even though its entirely flat. its the week after an ultra and my feet are already wrecked, after doing 40 miles they will be worse! congrats on getting in London! my brothers tried to enter it for 6 years, hasn't got in!

Wow that's not long at all - what amazing achievements you've made!

An ultra! Phew, I cannot imagine 26 let alone more... I'm only up to ten miles on long runs. A little worried about overtraining as also doing 3 bootcamp classes a week but then they do keep my legs strong and build on fitness quickly.

Thanks, fundraising is hard work but it's a charity I love so I'm pleased :)

4 weeks until my half marathon
8 weeks until 16 mile race
11 weeks until the London marathon!!!

It's his ankle, been told to rest for 2 weeks so he's got another week of rest left. Doctor told him to avoid hills- Bolton hill marathon... Can't avoid those hills!
I'm doing that as a double marathon, first day with Sam, second day on my own.

Wow intense - good luck!!

Might have to try the one thing that I'd hate, ice bath after day 1 to ease off any aches as much as possible

5 weeks today until the Bolton hill double marathon.

pooooop

Back