Marathon Training

Gina - are you doing 7.5 miles each time you run, other than your one longer run?

I did 6.6 miles today, so creeping back up. I also found it a lot easier than the last few, which is good!

I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with food during the marathon training. I know that I need to be eating more as I up my miles, but just need to figure out what! At the minute I have my three meals a day, following SW extra easy, and when I snack its always on fruit, but I feel like I need something more substantial to snack on. I bought some energy bars the other day, but the idea of eating them scares me a bit!

Listen to your body, eat the energy bars and see how you get on with them, one week isn't going to be the end of the world if you gain weight, you can loose it the following week. Also getting through the marathon safely and with enough energy is more important then a little weight anyway, but unless your eating a silly amount I doubt you'll gain while marathon training anyway. My mum eats loads when she's training for a marathon, flapjacks, scones ect. and she usually looses weight.

Eat more pasta ect. as well when your hungry, that's what I'm planning on doing. I will also start adding things like bagels and scones in when I'm really upping my miles... but obviously not too many. porridge is also great for energy

ill be stocking up on pasta when my miles go up! might bring it to work with me

Wow that's excellent and good that your aims are related to body fat rather than weight. I fear my body fat would be somewhere in the high 20s, so I won't be seeing a six pack this side of the marathon that's for sure. But scary to think of running in the ice but I suppose it has to be done.

RachaelD I have protein bars as they have protein and carbs and I find them really filling for before or after a good run.

I plan to do 6 miles tomorrow... But really scared to slip in the ice!!

I successfully completed my first low carb sachets day, 13 more days of this and I will add more food, from what I can tell anything up to say a 6/7 miles slow run seems unaffected by not having extra calories / carbs, but anything beyond that and they are needed.

I love running but I hate how heavy and slow I am now. I was hoping to finish in 4hours30 but that seems a ridiculous dream now as I do a 10k I. 1 hour 15min right now! Weight has a lot to do with it arghh!

Wow that's excellent and good that your aims are related to body fat rather than weight. I fear my body fat would be somewhere in the high 20s, so I won't be seeing a six pack this side of the marathon that's for sure. But scary to think of running in the ice but I suppose it has to be done.

RachaelD I have protein bars as they have protein and carbs and I find them really filling for before or after a good run.

I successfully completed my first low carb sachets day, 13 more days of this and I will add more food, from what I can tell anything up to say a 6/7 miles slow run seems unaffected by not having extra calories / carbs, but anything beyond that and they are needed.

I love running but I hate how heavy and slow I am now. I was hoping to finish in 4hours30 but that seems a ridiculous dream now as I do a 10k I. 1 hour 15min right now! Weight has a lot to do with it arghh!

I'm sure you'll loose that weight quite quickly with diet and all the exercise your doing, good luck.

I'm desperatly trying to get half a stone off after Christmas, I know half a stone isn't that much but I can tell the difference with running.

I've maintained at my target weight since May but during December I gained 4lb in 4 weeks. I've dropped a pound of this already. I ate out a lot more in December and had some alcohol, as well as xmas treats. Last xmas I was really strict and did well, but this xmas I relaxed a bit with the food and drink. I thought I could because I am now running up to 16 miles and doing over 25 miles a week. I have gels and energy bars on my run and drink more milk for recovery. I want to get the balance right but have decided that my running is more important than remaining at target at the moment. I'm sure it will sort itself out.

I've been craving fatty foods (peanuts, chocolate) and I'm sure this is linked to the extra exercise. Not sure if it's all in my head or my body is really asking for these foods . . . I'm sure I'll sort my head out! I was going to ask you all about how you're getting on but you've beaten me to it, so thanks for sharing your experiences and I look forward to hearing more.

Hi everyone!

I've just signed up for the Shrewsbury Half Marathon in June ...... I must be mad!

I have started training with my friend and so far so good :) I have even joined the local gym so I have no excuse not to exercise!

I did the 5K Race for Life last year and absolutely loved it so thought I would push myself a bit further this year ...... Fingers crossed for a fantastic day.

I have just purchased a little pedometer gadget to try and keep me motivated.

X

Not read the post 100% but saw that your near shrews?

Whereabouts? I'm near there too!

Hey Lucylu

I live in Wellington and work in Shrewsbury. Where are you?

At the moment I'm not running that far, doing about 4 miles, going to see if I can increase it to 5 miles this weekend. I know that's fine as my marathon isn't until October, but on top of my 3 runs a week 2 straight runs of around 4 miles and one training session, I also do 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week on the crosstrainer. I know as I increase my miles I will have to start running rather then the crosstrainer, but for now I'm doing it to keep my fitness levels up, do you think this is the right thing to do?

Hi slimmersally,

Small world, I live in Shrewsbury ...... Used to work in Wellington lol

X

Hi everyone!

I've just signed up for the Shrewsbury Half Marathon in June ...... I must be mad!

I have started training with my friend and so far so good :) I have even joined the local gym so I have no excuse not to exercise!

I did the 5K Race for Life last year and absolutely loved it so thought I would push myself a bit further this year ...... Fingers crossed for a fantastic day.

I have just purchased a little pedometer gadget to try and keep me motivated.

X

well done! you'll do the half, its an achievable distance. feels so scary doing the first half marathon, i wanted to vomit i was that scared, was very happy to finidh it though.

well done! you'll do the half, its an achievable distance. feels so scary doing the first half marathon, i wanted to vomit i was that scared, was very happy to finidh it though.

Thanks Gina,

I am very scared ..... But also quite excited lol

I know I will be very nervous just before the race, but I know I will complete it - I am determined :)

X

never give up on that dream timing! im aiming for 5 hours or less, if i maintain speed at 9.47 mins per mile ill do the full in 4hrs 13. doubt ill maintain that speed, a half maybe but a full isnt gonna be easy.
nervous about it already

Thanks Gina,

I am very scared ..... But also quite excited lol

I know I will be very nervous just before the race, but I know I will complete it - I am determined :)

X

make sure you go the loo before.... about 10 times! i always feel like i need the loo when im nervous. there wasnt any toilets until the 9 mile marker on mine....

Can't keep up with all these posts!

Lucylu and Onionbreath (love the name!) - would be happy to go for a run with you both some time in Shrewsbury :)

Donna - sounds like you're doing the right thing. You have plenty of time to build your running base. If I were you I would keep my weekday runs the same and slowly increase my weekend long run until you get to the start of your proper marathon training (12-16 weeks before your marathon).

I usually listen to music when I run but I also listen to podcasts by a running coach and find it's a good way to learn about running and it helps the time go by. Here's the link to her website:

Mojo for Running Home - Mojo for Running

i have comedy podcasts, really good until i randomly burst out laughing. no one else knows what im laughing at so they give me wierd looks

yep, download them off itunes. i have a few, sarah millican and jimmy carr are my faves

I listen to music... this is a really silly question but how do you listen to podcasts, can you download them and put them on your ipod?

Exactly! Just like you download music.

I'm sure you'll loose that weight quite quickly with diet and all the exercise your doing, good luck.

I'm desperatly trying to get half a stone off after Christmas, I know half a stone isn't that much but I can tell the difference with running.

Yep I can totally understand why you feel 1/2 a stone makes a big difference. 1 1/2 stone has changed me from a not too bad average runner to a verrrrry slow one whose knees hurt a lot more! Hopefully the unwanted pounds come off soon for us both although I wouldn't worry too much about 7 pounds as that should come off with running and healthy eating

I've maintained at my target weight since May but during December I gained 4lb in 4 weeks. I've dropped a pound of this already. I ate out a lot more in December and had some alcohol, as well as xmas treats. Last xmas I was really strict and did well, but this xmas I relaxed a bit with the food and drink. I thought I could because I am now running up to 16 miles and doing over 25 miles a week. I have gels and energy bars on my run and drink more milk for recovery. I want to get the balance right but have decided that my running is more important than remaining at target at the moment. I'm sure it will sort itself out.

I've been craving fatty foods (peanuts, chocolate) and I'm sure this is linked to the extra exercise. Not sure if it's all in my head or my body is really asking for these foods . . . I'm sure I'll sort my head out! I was going to ask you all about how you're getting on but you've beaten me to it, so thanks for sharing your experiences and I look forward to hearing more.

That's true it is a question of whether to eat for weight loss or for running performance. With only a few extra pounds on I think it would be silly to try and focus on losing them when your increase in mileage will sort that out for you gradually. I wish I had been focused enough to only let 4 pounds go on!

Back