Marathon Training

Wow, your mum sounds amazing! Will you be running the whole thing together? I am doing Edinburgh alone, but am running Yorkshire with a friend. We live quite far apart (4+ hours), so won't be able to train together, so it will be hard to tell in advance how similarly paced we are.

I'm doing Liverpool half marathon on 17 March. I haven't signed up yet, but am going to, as I feel like I need another organised run prior to the full marathon. I've only ever done one half marathon before (Birmingham in October), so I think I need the race day experience, as I find that I get really nervous before hand. I've also got a local 10k on 31 March 2013, which should be good.

Have you thought about when you will start training and which plan you will follow?

She is, although sometimes that gets annoying as I get lectures about not starting training too fast (as in putting my miles up too soon) and I'm like yeah don't worry I won't and about food ect. I know she's only trying to help, but she says silly things which of course I'm not going to do, like we had a whole conversation about me not dieting while I'm training (I'm not silly, I know I'll need the energy)

No idea on what plan I'm going to follow, think I'll have a word with the coach at my running club to see what she thinks is best and also my mum as although I just moaned about her advice she will have some good advice as well (I think what annoys me is when I haven't asked for advice yet she advises me as if I would automatically do everything wrong)

We won't run together, but will meet at the end. We're both planning on taking it steady but no doubt will both then decide to try for a really good time, she got a great time when she ran Amsterdam last year so she'll probably try and beat it (just hope she isn't disappointed if she can't) we will probably run part of it together though.

It's nice that you'll be running with your friend considering you live far away, you'll have to just keep each other updated on how your doing and what times your getting to see if you at least finish races in similar times.

run was really disappointing :(

I managed 4 miles, going to try for 5 next weekend and then 6 the weekend after, think maybe I was being a bit eager going straight for 10k as I've only been back to running for a week after having a bit of a break for Christmas, also my knee's played up this morning when I went to the toilet so when I started struggling a bit more I decided to just carry on and do the same as I do at running club.

My marathon training is bang on plan in prep for Paris on 7th April . . . but now I have a dilemma and am seeking advice. I live near and work in Shrewsbury and it was announced on Thursday that the first ever Shrewsbury marathon will be held on 23rd June this year. That is 11 weeks after Paris and as this is my first ever marathon I'm not sure if I will be able to do a second one 11 weeks later (or if I can even complete the first - lol!!). So do I:
(a) sign up for the Shrewsbury half (same day);
(b) sign up for the Shrewsbury full marathon;
(c) wait and see how I feel after Paris and hope there are still places left?

I was going to err on the side of caution and sign up for the half, but I'd really like to go for it. How did you all feel after your first marathon? I've signed up for two 10k races in May and these could help to keep my fitness level and motivation up.

All advice welcome!
:)

My marathon training is bang on plan in prep for Paris on 7th April . . . but now I have a dilemma and am seeking advice. I live near and work in Shrewsbury and it was announced on Thursday that the first ever Shrewsbury marathon will be held on 23rd June this year. That is 11 weeks after Paris and as this is my first ever marathon I'm not sure if I will be able to do a second one 11 weeks later (or if I can even complete the first - lol!!). So do I:
(a) sign up for the Shrewsbury half (same day);
(b) sign up for the Shrewsbury full marathon;
(c) wait and see how I feel after Paris and hope there are still places left?

I was going to err on the side of caution and sign up for the half, but I'd really like to go for it. How did you all feel after your first marathon? I've signed up for two 10k races in May and these could help to keep my fitness level and motivation up.

All advice welcome!
:)

It's really hard to say, 11 weeks isn't long but its also not too short a time either, if it was a month after I'd say a def no.

If your training is going really well and is on track I'd say go for it, but take the first one really steady... also if you don't manage to finish the first one don't let it put you off trying again, my mum was hospitalised in her first attempt and still went on to do the next one, her first was in April and her second in October so she had longer to recover then you did.

Just be wary if its a hot day in April as well, that's something that gets my mum the heat, so April is a funny time as it can turn out really hot but you've done the majority of your training in the cold. Make sure you drink plenty and also if its too hot just take it steady and don't worry about getting a great time. Completing a marathon is amazing no matter what time you get.

Hi all I just read through this post. I am also doing my first marathon in April 2013 (London one).

I know we need a lot of energy to fuel our training but I have a dilemma here it goes:

I was injured in July 2012 and had to stop running until a couple of months ago. During that time I stupidly gained 1st7lbs.

Now that I am back to running I am very unfit again. I struggle more than I used to, and I know this is largely due to the extra weight I am carrying. I also know that it's risky injury wise to run at a heavy weight, especially because I gained it so quickly so my body is not prepared to carry it all.

I have been trying to track calories and run but I was not losing weight.

I want to do low intensity training (I.e. no sprints or fast runs) for two weeks and eat low carb high protein to drop 10 pounds

Does anyone know of any other way to lose weight whilst training? Are any of you still losing weight while training? If so what are you eating and how much do you run?

Thanks and all the best to you all I will keep checking in on the progress as the events draw closer! X

Hi all I just read through this post. I am also doing my first marathon in April 2013 (London one).

I know we need a lot of energy to fuel our training but I have a dilemma here it goes:

I was injured in July 2012 and had to stop running until a couple of months ago. During that time I stupidly gained 1st7lbs.

Now that I am back to running I am very unfit again. I struggle more than I used to, and I know this is largely due to the extra weight I am carrying. I also know that it's risky injury wise to run at a heavy weight, especially because I gained it so quickly so my body is not prepared to carry it all.

I want to do low intensity training (I.e. no sprints or fast runs) for two weeks and eat low carb high protein to drop 10 pounds

Does anyone know of any other way to lose weight whilst training? Are any of you still losing weight while training? If so what are you eating and how much do you run?

Thanks and all the best to you all I will keep checking in on the progress as the events draw closer! X

Have you ever tried slimming world, its what I'm on but I'm at target now.

I imagine it will be great for marathon training as your allowed loads of carbs and protein and it does work, so you could still eat loads of rice and pasta while training for energy and also meat ect for helping repair.

Thanks for the tip - that's about the only thing I haven't previously tried - but is weight loss on this not under the same premis as calorie counting?

Happy training everyone! :)

Thanks for the tip - that's about the only thing I haven't previously tried - but is weight loss on this not under the same premis as calorie counting?

Happy training everyone! :)

You don't calorie count on it, your allowed as many things like potatoes, lean meat, rice and pasta ect. things you have to count are things like sauces, chocolate and crisps, fruit and veg you can also eat loads of, you just eat until your hungry so if your exercising more then you can eat more of the free foods to fill you up.

Oh I see i will have a look into it thanks. I feel unsure it would work to get the extra stone of fast, but long term I suppose it's a good method

im still losing weight by dieting and running, having no problem energy wise. i follow herbalife, 2 shakes a day with a high protein low carb meal and snacks inbetween

I'm following slimming world, works for me but only if I stick to it.

I can't eat more because I went for a run and expect to lose.

im still losing weight by dieting and running, having no problem energy wise. i follow herbalife, 2 shakes a day with a high protein low carb meal and snacks inbetween

Hi that sounds like what I plan to do except using protein shakes and slim&save meals but they seem similar to herbalife.

That's great your energy levels aren't suffering

How much do you lose a week doing this if you don't mind me asking?!

Hi that sounds like what I plan to do except using protein shakes and slim&save meals but they seem similar to herbalife.

That's great your energy levels aren't suffering

How much do you lose a week doing this if you don't mind me asking?!

been quite slow but steady, ive lost 9lbs since november. other people i know following this have lost that in a week! i dont have alot of body fat though, my aim is to get it lower to 10 - 15%

when my milage goes to 15 miles on the weekend i will be taking in more shakes to make sure im getting enough

Wow that's very low body fat

Well done on that loss :)

I am running about 22 miles a week and doing 2 weeks on meals and shakes then will increase!

currently up to 12 miles at the weekend and 7.5 miles weekdays. when im doing 17.5 at the weekend i will need to increase my food, or switch to one shake and two meals. the two meals will be lunch and tea, i run after work so ill need the energy.

right now the body fat is at 17/18%.... it will go down. i want to see abs. want my 6 pack at last, 2013 is the year of it!

cant edit, but its snowing here now. doing my 7.5 miles regardless, ill have to take it slower if its icy.

Gina - are you doing 7.5 miles each time you run, other than your one longer run?

I did 6.6 miles today, so creeping back up. I also found it a lot easier than the last few, which is good!

I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with food during the marathon training. I know that I need to be eating more as I up my miles, but just need to figure out what! At the minute I have my three meals a day, following SW extra easy, and when I snack its always on fruit, but I feel like I need something more substantial to snack on. I bought some energy bars the other day, but the idea of eating them scares me a bit!

usually my run days are monday (7.5 miles), tuesday (3 miles), thursday (8 miles) and saturday (12.5 miles)

the plan has me running fridays some days but i dont run that day. i like the break inbetween. i walk for 3 miles instead on that day

Back