Me worrying about atkins again!!!

louiser

Trying very hard!
I'm just wondering, are you allowed to eat Stilton on Atkins?

Also I'm worried, I could quite happily eat steak 5 times a week (I don't but I could!) but there's things in the news saying red meat is dangerous. Am I right to be worried?

The red-meat-is-dangerous thing...ya know, I can't tell what's true and what isn't. I suspect most of us on here know as much as you do about it. It seems to me HIGHLY unlikely that it'll kill you. The supposed increase in risk is tiny. At any rate, being obese increases your risk of heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, and some cancers, so even if red meat is a problem, isn't it something of a trade off? I'm prepared to take the risk myself- personal choice.

Most of the red meat articles seem to be based on poor science and scaremongering. Which isn't to say they're always wrong but...well, anything you read about health in the news, especially stories that some specific foodstuff will kill you outright, or cure you, or raise you from the dead and tidy the house- I'd take with a generous pinch of salt.

I think we have to ask ourselves, is it really at all likely that something so basic to our diet - something that we have been eating for literally thousands of years - is really going to be so bad for us? On the other hand, processed meat products, full of preservatives and E-numbers and flavourings - that's another thing entirely.

The media love a dramatic headline, don't forget.

It is a fact that when we are on Atkins or other low carb diets - our blood stats improve dramatically.

For instance - my husband has lost 40 lb with low carbing over recent months. He has to take a very toxic drug at the moment, and is having extensive regular blood tests. The doctors have been amazed, not only at his weight loss, but also how well he is coping with the med, and how incredibly good all his blood results are. They told him at his last appointment that looking at the blood results, the numbers were so good that they thought he had stopped taking the med. Er, no.... Low carbing is good for us, it seems. :)

Steak 5 times a week - well, I'd want a bit more variety than that personally! But you can if you want to.

And yes, we can eat Stilton. :bliss:

That 'scare' (recently in the papers) was really garbage. The study wasn't looking at people who ate steak 5 times a week they were looking at people who ate mcdonalds 5 times a week. It didn't consider all the contributory factors such as weath etc or any other aspects of diet. For the science community it might have been a useful starting point for more considered study. For the media it was an excuse to take an ultimately insignificant finding and turn it into a scary headline.

As has been said - this was bad science. There are plenty of analyses of the study online showing it. That doesn't mean red meat isn't bad for you - just this study doesn't show it:D

I'm of the view that if we can lose weight our health will improve dramatically - then all things in moderation:D

The red meat thing, I don't panic over it.

I might be wrong here but it's the old thing about mixing carbs (say chips) and proteins (steak). The body will then work really hard to burn off the carbs and the red meat won't be burned off leaving the fat in your body and this is harmful if you did this a lot.
BUT if you are not eating carbs alongside your big juicy piece of red meat then your body gets straight to work and deals with whatever is in the meat. This is proven by the fact that Atkins and other low carb diets lower cholesterol in the longer term.

As for processed meats, now that's a separate issue.

Stilton - I can't answer on that but the old saying "anything in moderation".

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thank you for all your replies :)

I know its a silly thing to worry about but the way these things are worded look really scary!

I think any kind of diet makes you feel a little restricted and if you come accross something that suits you and you enjoy its horrible worrying about if you should have it or not! I'll just keep at it and everything will be fine!

Thank you again x

Back