Meals for a very tight budget...

Discussion in 'SW Winter Warmer Recipes' started by loobieluck, 8 January 2011 Social URL.

Post New ThreadFind New
  1. dirtydancing

dirtydancing Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.28%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    sounds yummy. going to make this today thanks for that.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Alykins77

Alykins77 Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st11.1lb
    Current Weight:
    21st1.9lb
    Goal Weight:
    17st5.4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9.2lb(3.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimmingworld
  4. jtkc0816

jtkc0816 Member

Start Weight:
    11st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(6.04%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    how do i suscribe to this thread?

5. hunnybee

hunnybee Full Member

I bought a sack of potatoes from morrisons for £2....I made lots of slimming world chips and roast potatoes and froze them :)

6. rach1987

rach1987 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    haven't tried it yet but ment to be nice

Attached Files:

7. SchmooSquidge

SchmooSquidge New Member

Start Weight:
    14st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.46%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thank you for all the ideas, hubby's just made a meal from the website.

1/2 cup rice
    1/4 cup frozen peas
    1/4 cup frozen sweetcorn
    4 tinned water chestnuts, sliced
    handful bean sprouts
    5 mushrooms, sliced
    5 spring onions, sliced
    1tbsp chilli sauce
    2tbps dark soy sauce
    1 egg, beaten

boil rice, add sweetcorn + peas towards the end
    mix sweet chilli sauce + dark soy sauce in cup
    drain rice mixture + return to pan
    mix sauce mixture to rice mixture + stir until completely coated

in a frying pan, using fry-lite, on a medium/high heat, put in spring onions, mushrooms, water chestnuts + bean sprouts. cook for 4-5 minutes, stir throughout. add rice/sauce mixture. combine all ingredients, cook for 2 minutes. add egg + stir for 5 minutes until egg is cooked through the rice.

It sounds like it should be expensive, but it's really not as we used ingredients that we have has staples for most of our meals :)

8. stburgan

stburgan Silver Member

I have a big Asian supermarket near me and u can get
    10kg bags of spuds for 1.30 ish and trays of 30 eggs for 2 pound I also gety meat from local market and split into portions when I get home

9. Clobberella

Clobberella Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(7.14%)
    So I'm off work at the moment, and am only getting statutory sick pay, so things need to be cheap. I invested in a pack of 50 plastic take-away containers on amazon for £5. I cook in bulk and freeze meals.
    When cooking with mince, I do half mince, and half brown lentils/mung beans (I buy the biggest bags I can), which brings the cost right down. I buy foods like rice and pasta in bulk, and shop around for the best offers. The other day I bought 10kg rice for £7. Mushy pea curry with rice is really cheap. Sounds disgusting, but it is really just a pea and bean curry.
    The other day I did a big batch of pea and ham soup - 750g gammon joint, simmered for about an hour and a half with onion, carrot, celery, thyme and parsley stalks (I saved the leaves to add at the end). Saved the stock, shredded the gammon. Fried onion, carrots, celery, added split peas and stock. Once the split peas were done, I used a hand blender to semi blend it, then added the gammon back in.
    I like to make congee which is a rice porridge and completely free. 1 part rice to 8 parts water with a couple chicken stock cubes, a spring onion cut into 3/4 pieces, some crushed garlic, some ginger, a splash of soy sauce, and sometimes a frozen chicken breast (I find the halal ones are cheaper). Put on a low heat, and cook just under a simmer for about 2 hours, stirring every now and then.
    Savoury mince and lentils is good. Fry onion, carrot, celery till soft, add mince, brown it. Add lentils and stock. Once nearly done, add some peas. Serve with potato and cauliflower mash.
    Liver and onions is a really good, cheap dish. One of my comfort foods is homemade potato wedges with my hea of cheese and some gravy.

10. Kepox

Kepox New Member

I usually mix rice with chicken (or turkey) and add some vegetables: tomato, courgette, pumpkin (I prefer to roast it) and beans. You can add thyme and basil. It doesnt cost much but it's delicious , fresh and healthy

11. faye cheshire

faye cheshire Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(1.98%)
    Diet:
    Extra Easy
    If u type in twochubbycubs they have got 400 slimming workd recipes. Meat fish and veg. I am sure some of them will be economical or you could adapt them. Good luck Faye

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.