Meals for a very tight budget...

My favourite cheap meal is
Cheap tin of baked beans (23p)
Cheap tin of mushrooms (24p)
Tsp of curry powder.... Cook in a pan and boil rice
Cheap bag of rice (40p)....
Baked bean curry :)

sounds yummy. going to make this today thanks for that.

how do i suscribe to this thread?

I bought a sack of potatoes from morrisons for £2....I made lots of slimming world chips and roast potatoes and froze them :)

Thank you for all the ideas, hubby's just made a meal from the website.

1/2 cup rice
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup frozen sweetcorn
4 tinned water chestnuts, sliced
handful bean sprouts
5 mushrooms, sliced
5 spring onions, sliced
1tbsp chilli sauce
2tbps dark soy sauce
1 egg, beaten

boil rice, add sweetcorn + peas towards the end
mix sweet chilli sauce + dark soy sauce in cup
drain rice mixture + return to pan
mix sauce mixture to rice mixture + stir until completely coated

in a frying pan, using fry-lite, on a medium/high heat, put in spring onions, mushrooms, water chestnuts + bean sprouts. cook for 4-5 minutes, stir throughout. add rice/sauce mixture. combine all ingredients, cook for 2 minutes. add egg + stir for 5 minutes until egg is cooked through the rice.

It sounds like it should be expensive, but it's really not as we used ingredients that we have has staples for most of our meals :)

I have a big Asian supermarket near me and u can get
10kg bags of spuds for 1.30 ish and trays of 30 eggs for 2 pound I also gety meat from local market and split into portions when I get home

So I'm off work at the moment, and am only getting statutory sick pay, so things need to be cheap. I invested in a pack of 50 plastic take-away containers on amazon for £5. I cook in bulk and freeze meals.
When cooking with mince, I do half mince, and half brown lentils/mung beans (I buy the biggest bags I can), which brings the cost right down. I buy foods like rice and pasta in bulk, and shop around for the best offers. The other day I bought 10kg rice for £7. Mushy pea curry with rice is really cheap. Sounds disgusting, but it is really just a pea and bean curry.
The other day I did a big batch of pea and ham soup - 750g gammon joint, simmered for about an hour and a half with onion, carrot, celery, thyme and parsley stalks (I saved the leaves to add at the end). Saved the stock, shredded the gammon. Fried onion, carrots, celery, added split peas and stock. Once the split peas were done, I used a hand blender to semi blend it, then added the gammon back in.
I like to make congee which is a rice porridge and completely free. 1 part rice to 8 parts water with a couple chicken stock cubes, a spring onion cut into 3/4 pieces, some crushed garlic, some ginger, a splash of soy sauce, and sometimes a frozen chicken breast (I find the halal ones are cheaper). Put on a low heat, and cook just under a simmer for about 2 hours, stirring every now and then.
Savoury mince and lentils is good. Fry onion, carrot, celery till soft, add mince, brown it. Add lentils and stock. Once nearly done, add some peas. Serve with potato and cauliflower mash.
Liver and onions is a really good, cheap dish. One of my comfort foods is homemade potato wedges with my hea of cheese and some gravy.

I usually mix rice with chicken (or turkey) and add some vegetables: tomato, courgette, pumpkin (I prefer to roast it) and beans. You can add thyme and basil. It doesnt cost much but it's delicious , fresh and healthy

...just wondering if anyone has any they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm ridiculously poor at the moment. But made sure I can attend SW as bought a countdown with my JSA.

Thanks

Lou xx
If u type in twochubbycubs they have got 400 slimming workd recipes. Meat fish and veg. I am sure some of them will be economical or you could adapt them. Good luck Faye

Back