Meals for a very tight budget...

loving all the recipes and tips on here thanks.

If you don't object for religious or ethical reasons, Halal chicken is much much cheaper than "standard" chicken.

Both ASDA and Tesco stock halal ranges in London and some other major cities, and the quality is much better than the own-brand budget/smart price range but similarly priced.

I got 2 packs of 4 chicken legs (ie chicken quarters = thigh and drumstick joined togther) already skinned for £5 this week. So that's 8 chicken legs for £5, we cooked 4 and ate them over 2 days, and then froze the rest. I also buy halal chicken wings, and chopped raw chicken for casseroles and stews.

(for anyone that is wondering, halal chicken is just killed in a different way than standard chicken, they are killed by having their neck slit in a single movement while someone speaks a prayer. Obviously not everyone would want to eat halal food, but for atheists like us who buy standard battery hens as we can't afford more expensive "better welfare" chickens we decided it didn't bother us either way as it probably wasnt any worse than how they slaughter battery hens)

Doesnt bother me either, we don't really know how standard chickens are killed anyway and I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't agree with eating halal meat as I've been going to Turkey since i was 8 and all their meats halal with it being an muslim country lol

If any of you live near Bradford, take a trip to Pakeeza supermarket. The meat is good quality and quite cheap, and the canned/dried pulses are really competitive prices. I go once every couple of months and stock up. They also have some great spice mixes for curries etc. The Shah Biryani one is really good. They also have huge sacks of potatoes and onions for sale.

I find making huge pasta bakes and freezing some and big stock pot vegetable soups and freezing portions of that work well. I also stick to the value brand of stuff, you cant really go wrong money and taste wise :) xx

When we are very poor I make a type of minced beef substitute. It's cup of green lentils, a cup of brown rice, 1 large onion chopped and 5 cups of stock, boil and then simmer until all water is absorbed (takes me about 40 mins). I was sceptical when I first tried it, but very skint, so I made it and the whole family was impressed. We've started calling it 'Poor Man's Mince'!! The recipe makes quite a big batch, so it fed four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) for 3 nights and DH for 2 packed lunches. The kids like it in tacos or wraps with a bit of cheese and ketchup, and I like it on a jacket potato. You just take the mixture once cooked, and then treat it as normal mince. So if using to make fajitas, add fajita spices and tinned tomatoes and simmer until the sauce is nice and thick. Use as a base for cottage pie, spag bol or anything else you can think of. x

Slow cookers are currently on sale in a lot of shops and supermarkets so pick one up for roughly a tenner and make cheaper cuts of meat tasty :D

When we are very poor I make a type of minced beef substitute. It's cup of green lentils, a cup of brown rice, 1 large onion chopped and 5 cups of stock, boil and then simmer until all water is absorbed (takes me about 40 mins). I was sceptical when I first tried it, but very skint, so I made it and the whole family was impressed. We've started calling it 'Poor Man's Mince'!! The recipe makes quite a big batch, so it fed four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) for 3 nights and DH for 2 packed lunches. The kids like it in tacos or wraps with a bit of cheese and ketchup, and I like it on a jacket potato. You just take the mixture once cooked, and then treat it as normal mince. So if using to make fajitas, add fajita spices and tinned tomatoes and simmer until the sauce is nice and thick. Use as a base for cottage pie, spag bol or anything else you can think of. x
Ooo I may have to try that.

I'm currently on a major budget so have switched for green days for a while due to meat running out in the house.
I am making a batch of the maushy pea curry sauce to adapt
I buy all the value tins of 1 baked beans, 1 chopped tomatoes, 1 mushy peas
Curry powders and garlic of your choice and some fried onions.
Blended all together (I dont like the lumps)

It makes a big batch which will feed me and the boyfriend a Quorn and veg curry one night and then accompany sw chips and veggie sausages the next. x

Some of the veg in our local asian shops is a bit past it's best but often some great bargains to be had. Usually on onions and potatoes. I buy a sack of each and then split them with 2 girls at work. Works out cheaper for all of us than buying in the supermarket.

Pretty much everything I make is reheatable and I take it to work, however our microwave has recently broken so I just eat it cold and still yummy.
How about leftover stirfry from the night before? or curry?
My favourite non-leftover lunch is couscous with roasted veg and lots of paprika and garlic. Can add chicken or quorn too. nice hot or cold :)

This is what I do at work (well...before I was made redundant!)...get those pitta bread rounds from the supermarket and cut in half. Fill with low low cheese, ham, spring onions, extra low fat mayo and jelapenos. I wrap it in cling film to keep fresh. Then at dinner I remove the cling film and warm in microwave....not for too long or the pitta loses shape!...and voila..pannini style toasted sandwich. Not sure about syn value but it cant be much.

Edit:Sorry, posted in wrong thread.

Last edited:
I just take left overs from dinner the night before - cottage pie, beef stew, chicken curry, jacket potato, burgers and veg. Just bung it in the microwave and have a mini feast!

I just take left overs from dinner the night before - cottage pie, beef stew, chicken curry, jacket potato, burgers and veg. Just bung it in the microwave and have a mini feast!

I'm the same, chilli for me tomorrow, YUM!!! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back