Meals for a very tight budget...

great thread:):)

Im finding soup really ace and cheap currently - just add a roll & side of fruit lunch/tea done!

Been working out at under 50p a serving
Can of course vary what you add - use aldi super 6. Passata base (30p) stock.. frozen onions tin beans & whatever veg to hand. Did my weekly batch today with peppers & sweetcorn

I stopped having fancy yoghurt just low fat Greek now much cheaper! !

I just try to Whittle down the pantry then I really can keep weekly spend under 20.

Wholemeal rolls
Passata
Veg on offer
Oranges
Hex b bars only on offer
Frozen veg

That's it! I bulk bought pasta/oats /Batchelor bits on offer so can avoid buying those again this year

Think being frugal in winter will be easier! Loving soup & hardy citrus fruits

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Soup, soup and more soup!
Managed to grab a reduced bag of mixed root veg from Tesco for about 50p, froze it, then made soup with that and a veg stock cube (that worked out at like 2p per cube!) and seasoned.

another one was the tomato soup in the little autumn book
3x tins of plum toms - 90p
Reduced fresh basil - 8p
reduced carrots - 9p
stock cube - 2p!

A good tip for reduced veg is to half cook it then freeze it, stops it going rubbery:)

When you cook mushrooms in anything, remove the stalks and keep them in the fridge. They work really well if finely chopped in omelettes and risotto. Spring onions - don't throw the green bits away (unless they're really manky), snip them up and use for flavouring, they're just the same as chives. Any dregs of wine left in the bottom of the bottle can be frozen in ice cube trays. One day you'll have all three - wine ice cubes, mushroom stalks and spring onion ends - and you can make a very good risotto with stuff that would have gone in the bin!

Cheddar that's been reduced because of a close sell by date can be grated and frozen. Same with stale rolls, grate then freeze in bags for toppings or treacle tart (for the non-dieters!)

And for a 'sweet' treat for the dieters, try supermarket value range frozen fruit (Tesco's is 88p for a bag full of oranges, apples, melon balls and grapes), these are really delicious. I fill a small tumbler of an evening and suck on the frozen fruit while watching the telly. Actually tastier than a chocolate!

stirfry. always have soy sauce and garlic in the cupboard (99p store are selling chinese sauces like soy sauce and chilli sauce atm)
tescos a bag of stir fry veg £1
noodle portions (depending on your budget and what is free)
you can have meat, what we do is get steak or chicken breast (i cut the chicken breasst in half then slice thinly) you can make it go between 4 or 5 people. x

When you cook mushrooms in anything, remove the stalks and keep them in the fridge. They work really well if finely chopped in omelettes and risotto. Spring onions - don't throw the green bits away (unless they're really manky), snip them up and use for flavouring, they're just the same as chives. Any dregs of wine left in the bottom of the bottle can be frozen in ice cube trays. One day you'll have all three - wine ice cubes, mushroom stalks and spring onion ends - and you can make a very good risotto with stuff that would have gone in the bin!

Cheddar that's been reduced because of a close sell by date can be grated and frozen. Same with stale rolls, grate then freeze in bags for toppings or treacle tart (for the non-dieters!)

And for a 'sweet' treat for the dieters, try supermarket value range frozen fruit (Tesco's is 88p for a bag full of oranges, apples, melon balls and grapes), these are really delicious. I fill a small tumbler of an evening and suck on the frozen fruit while watching the telly. Actually tastier than a chocolate!

Loving the cheese idea!

Soup, soup and more soup!
Managed to grab a reduced bag of mixed root veg from Tesco for about 50p, froze it, then made soup with that and a veg stock cube (that worked out at like 2p per cube!) and seasoned.

another one was the tomato soup in the little autumn book
3x tins of plum toms - 90p
Reduced fresh basil - 8p
reduced carrots - 9p
stock cube - 2p!

Really want to try the tomato soup

subscribe

Soup has been my saviour also the past week. Under 1 quid for four lunches & maybe add a pack of ryvita or 50p rolls

Tomato & pepper soup (stock/onions/frozen peppers/tinned tomatoes)

Pea soup (frozen petit pois/stock/onions)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

When we are very poor I make a type of minced beef substitute. It's cup of green lentils, a cup of brown rice, 1 large onion chopped and 5 cups of stock, boil and then simmer until all water is absorbed (takes me about 40 mins). I was sceptical when I first tried it, but very skint, so I made it and the whole family was impressed. We've started calling it 'Poor Man's Mince'!! The recipe makes quite a big batch, so it fed four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) for 3 nights and DH for 2 packed lunches. The kids like it in tacos or wraps with a bit of cheese and ketchup, and I like it on a jacket potato. You just take the mixture once cooked, and then treat it as normal mince. So if using to make fajitas, add fajita spices and tinned tomatoes and simmer until the sauce is nice and thick. Use as a base for cottage pie, spag bol or anything else you can think of. x

I'll defo be trying this out, Thanks!

Make loads of passata based dishes

My favourite cheap meal is
Cheap tin of baked beans (23p)
Cheap tin of mushrooms (24p)
Tsp of curry powder.... Cook in a pan and boil rice
Cheap bag of rice (40p)....
Baked bean curry :)

Back