Meals For One

Trefoil

Gold Member
Hello :)

Just planning my meals for my first week next week!

I was wondering if anyone has any favourites that are best just for one?? I live alone and don't always have a lot of time to cook/sit down and work things out so I was wondering if anyone had any recipes or info that worked for them :)

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere!!

Ruth
Xx

I love chicken with garlic Philadelphia light inside with bacon wrapped around the outside, with SW chips and vegetables. It's so easy to prepare and tasted delicious for hardly any syns! X

A quick syn free meal which I often do when cooking just for me is a batchelours rice (if using other brands be careful as some need to be ). I like the mild curry, I add veg (fresh or even quicker is some mixed frozen veg) and either cooked chicken (EE) or quorn pieces (green day) all put in the pan together with the boiling water and cooked according to the packet instructions.

Another quick meal is mixing a hex portion of philadelphia cheese with a little water and heating through then mix some cooked pasta and veg (I like some mushrooms, peppers, onions and courgette fried in FryLight) and a slice or two of bacon. I tend to do this on a green day with a HexB of Philly, the bacon is then 2 syns per slice or it is free using the Philly as a HexA.

Omlette/frittata.

Stir fry.

Homemade soup.

Jacket potato.

New potatoes with veg and salmon/gammon (used to do this pre SW and could be sat down eating 20min after walking in the door having got changed while it cooked).

Dont forget it is handy to cook more than you need and make the leftovers onto lunch the next day, for example of doing salmon cook both portions and have salmon salad the next day.

Hope this has given you some ideas.

What about batch cooking some stuff like curry/chilli/bolognaise when you have some time at a weekend or soemthing

then you can pop some in the freezer and when you get home from work you can have a meal in minutes

Thanks so much everyone these look fab!!!!

Will definitely give them all a go! Unfortunately I only have a huge fridge, may have to go and get a chest freezer!

Ruth
Xx

No freezer might be a problem. I also have to cook for one (my hubby is as skinny as a rake but eats everything either deep fried, smothered in butter or wrapped in pastry :rolleyes:).
I don't have a large freezer and also get bored with lots of the same meal but I have found that a lot of the recipes can be halved or quartered (they mostly serve 4) with a bit of practice. Some ideas I use for one person...

- lamb chops or pork chops, fat removed before cooking otherwise I find it too tempting, with new potatoes and lots of free food veg or salad
- steak and SW chips and salad
- when cooking rice for one meal I cook extra and use it the following day in a stir fried rice with whatever bits I fancy like chopped veg, ham or chicken
- tuna and pasta salad
- couscous with roasted veg
- my favourite salad is smoked kippers, new potatoes, beetroot, rocket and chives with a dressing made with horseradish, lemon juice and some crème fraiche
- with lots of willpower I can roast chicken pieces with their skin on and remove it before I eat it (hubby helps to make it and the temptation disappear)
- after lots of practice and measuring I can now cook pasta for one and love this "risotto" made with orzo pasta ...
fry light/dry fry some chopped onion on a low heat so they soften without burning, stir in 35g dry orzo pasta, make up a fairly concentrated chicken stock with a cube (actually I use TELMA chicken soup mix which I find in the Jewish section of the world food aisle in Sainsburys - lots more flavour) and slowly add it to the dish like you would a risotto - a little at a time, allowing the pasta to soak up the flavour before adding more. You do need to keep stirring because the pasta sticks. When almost done add some frozen peas. I can eat a bowlful of that or serve it as a side with a cut of meat or chicken.
- fillet of fish wrapped in baking paper with a selection of veg like cherry tomatoes, sliced courgettes, olives (if you count the syns), some herbs and a squeeze of lemon, baked in the oven.

Anyway there are some of the ideas I use for one person. Don't know if it helps but good luck. I'll be following this thread to see what ideas other members have because I have the same problem

Last edited:
No freezer might be a problem. I also have to cook for one (my hubby is as skinny as a rake but eats everything either deep fried, smothered in butter or wrapped in pastry :rolleyes:). I don't have a large freezer and also get bored with lots of the same meal but I have found that a lot of the recipes can be halved or quartered (they mostly serve 4) with a bit of practice. Some ideas I use for one person... - lamb chops or pork chops, fat removed before cooking otherwise I find it too tempting, with new potatoes and lots of free food veg or salad - steak and SW chips and salad - when cooking rice for one meal I cook extra and use it the following day in a stir fried rice with whatever bits I fancy like chopped veg, ham or chicken - tuna and pasta salad - couscous with roasted veg - my favourite salad is smoked kippers, new potatoes, beetroot, rocket and chives with a dressing made with horseradish, lemon juice and some crème fraiche - with lots of willpower I can roast chicken pieces with their skin on and remove it before I eat it (hubby helps to make it and the temptation disappear) - after lots of practice and measuring I can now cook pasta for one and love this "risotto" made with orzo pasta ... fry light/dry fry some chopped onion on a low heat so they soften without burning, stir in 35g dry orzo pasta, make up a fairly concentrated chicken stock with a cube (actually I use TELMA chicken soup mix which I find in the Jewish section of the world food aisle in Sainsburys - lots more flavour) and slowly add it to the dish like you would a risotto - a little at a time, allowing the pasta to soak up the flavour before adding more. You do need to keep stirring because the pasta sticks. When almost done add some frozen peas. I can eat a bowlful of that or serve it as a side with a cut of meat or chicken. - fillet of fish wrapped in baking paper with a selection of veg like cherry tomatoes, sliced courgettes, olives (if you count the syns), some herbs and a squeeze of lemon, baked in the oven. Anyway there are some of the ideas I use for one person. Don't know if it helps but good luck. I'll be following this thread to see what ideas other members have because I have the same problem

Hi there,

Thanks so much for this! It will definitely help me a lot and the meals sound delicious, yum!!

When I last did SW I was with with my ex and he was as skinny as a rake but could eat what he wanted etc, it's not fair is it! ;)

Ruth
Xx

Don't think I can contribute to the meal ideas much, there have been some fab suggestions. I like the flavoured packet couscous if I'm in a hurry, put in a jug with boiling water, stick a plate over the top and in the time it takes to grill a piece of fish, the couscous is ready. Super quick and easy to make and full of flavour. Eggs are also a life saver for me if I can't decide what I want or need something quick, they go really well with veggies too (some of the concoctions I've had just to get my SF on my plate!)

I definitely would struggle without my freezer. I buy frozen veg (personally I find its a lot cheaper, already prepared, and less is wasted) so I know I can always throw some in the microwave and have my SF ready in a matter of minutes. I also (when I get the chance) batch cook and freeze single portions so I have 'ready meals', you can also freeze the SW chips once they've been chopped so are ready just to fry-light and stick in the oven :)

.x.x.

I did roasted veggies with cous cous and chicken last night. Was nice and quick to make and not really any waste as you can use any leftover chicken or cous cous in a salad or lunch the next day :) .x.

I did roasted veggies with cous cous and chicken last night. Was nice and quick to make and not really any waste as you can use any leftover chicken or cous cous in a salad or lunch the next day :) .x.

Yummy!!! I'm so going to make this tonight!!

Back