MenopauseWeight Gain

essexleeb

Hi all, my name is Lee, and I'm new to Slimming World (2 weeks in), and new to this forum. The reason why I'm here, is that I've been in the menopause for some 2 years, and my weight has crept up by some 1st 9lbs. I'm hoping that a healthy eating plan like SW, will help. Has anybody in their menopause any hints/tips/success stories that they would care to share?

I would say just stick with whatever diet you decide. I'm finding everything is so much slower, harder,more difficult, more annoying.....you get the idea? I think your body just reacts to things differently than it used to just a couple of years ago.Exactly what you wanted to hear.......NOT!

Can be frustrating when it happens more slowly. If weight loss slows down on SW then try doing red days instead of green and see if that speeds things up- the high carbohydrates can sometimes cause problems.

Yes, mid-life weight gain here, too. My weight was creeping up, and a sudden spike of 5 pounds is what motivated me to do something about it.
I have never liked the idea of dieting or counting calories. I did a lot of research and came out following the whole-food, plant-based diet. I have also cut out wheat except while traveling, and then I choose pasta over bread.

It has been enormously successful. In 3 months I have
Dropped 23 pounds
dropped 3" from my waistline, back to where it had been for years
Immune system is stronger- have fought off a cold as if it were nothing
Have more energy than in 10 years
Want to and do excise mor (up to 4 miles walking a day)
No longer have cravings for carbs or sweets
Feel full longer and just don't need to snack
Aches in my knees are gone,

It's also fabulous for health - heart disease, diabetes, cancer prevention. I feel in control of my health!

Well Linlin, great to find something that has worked out so well for you. I think thats the "secret" finding what works for you and your lifestyle. Bloody menopause! I have to say I don't understand the issues with it as such, I started mine at 40 and apart from a few niggling symptoms, nothing too horrendous the weight gain AND its target has been the worst part. Sorry if others have really suffered I don't mean to be dismissive just my ewxperience luckily. However I am finding that now I am Post meno pains in my joints are the real issue, does anyone else have this?

Yep I get pains in my joints, I do have fibromyalgia but since entering menopause (I'm 48) I've noticed pain has increased. I don't think the very soggy year we've had here in the UK helps though :(

I think I may just be starting the menopause - hot face, erratic, heavy periods :confused:
I've started at Slimming World again after many years and I agree - it's a lot slower. Mind you I have slowed down a lot as I have put on weight (7 stone on in 7 years) and the knees are rubbish. I'm hoping that losing weight will help my knees and get rid of my palpitations.
Just my luck to get my resolve back just in time to start the menopause :rolleyes:

So glad to find this thread. I am finding my energy levels a lot lower since I started the menopause.

I just have to push my way through & grin and bear it I guess.

If anyone fancies being a diet buddy it'd be great to link up with another weight watchers menopause sufferer

Back