Attack meringue?

xeilidhx

Gold Member
i saw folk mentioning meringue in another thread. wondering what's allowed, and how to make it?!

xeilidhx said:
i saw folk mentioning meringue in another thread. wondering what's allowed, and how to make it?!

Ive made meringues with sweetner before and they were horrible and very eggy, im sure the ingredients were just eggs, sweetner and vanilla essence.

thanks for the advice! doesn't sound too appetising now!!x

I tried making meringue using egg whites, sweetener, hazelnut flavouring and a dash of White vinegar, but must have got the proportions wrong cos they didn't 'dry' out properly in the low oven. Anyone got a better recipe?

I'll have another go, these taste ok, just a bit sticky!

I tried it the other day, sweetner, egg white and cream of tartar, they tasted like salt!!!!

there is a recipe for choc and coffee meringues in the dukan recipe book i have it on my kindle i will write it out later today and post it in the recipe section

here is the meringue recipe as promised, i have not tried it a i don't like meringue. It is out of the official dukan recipe book and i think would only be for cruise as it contains cocoa.
coffee and chocolate meringue
makes approx 12
prep time 10 mins
cook time 20 mins
3 egg whites
2 teasp low fat cocoa
6 tablespoon aspartame
2 teasp strong coffee
preheat oven to 150c 300f
beat eggs until very stiff
add cocoa to sweetner and sprinkle over eggs (so that the egg whites remain stiff only add the sweetner once the egg whites are already nice and stiff)
add the coffee and continue beating for about a further 30secs
divide mixture into small piles onto a baking sheet
and bake about 15 to 20 mins

I used to make meringues regularly. OK they might not be a patch on the "real thing" but I didn't mind them as a topping to lemon meringue pie (cheesecake recipe). I would use 3 egg whites and whisk until very firm, then quickly stir in three tablespoons of sweetener. Drop tablespoon quantities onto a baking tray lined with a piece of grease proof paper, into a cool oven (150°C max)... when colour about right (I forget timing), turn oven off, and leave them in while you have your main course. No good if made in advance as they go a peculiar texture!

Forget the cocoa powder...

the sugarfree megastore sells sugarfree carbfree tubs of meringues but you would have to look at the ing as i don't know if they would be legal

Haha Eileen I just had an image of riot police bursting in and little meringues with their arms up "ok ok you got us" don't know why it just happened and I snorted on the train. Thanks I needed that :) seriously though wit the hell would be in then if sugar and carb free?! I'm scared lol x

i did not think how funny that post would read when i did it.

Back