Meringue

hi there sorry for my long absence, my baby boy is teething and i've just managed to get him off to sleep.

Anyway for a first attempt they were pretty fab!
They weren't as pretty or as sugary as shop bought ones, but they were free!!
I've just had one crumbled in a Muller with fruit and it was lovely. ill try and get a pic uploaded to show you all :D

Woo hoo!!!!!!! I'm gonna get the egg whites out of the freezer now ready for tomorrow. Hope your boy is better soon and thanks! xx

:( hmm, so i made these, 3 egg whites and 3 heaped tbsps sweetener and some vanilla extract. Baked them on low for about 20mins until they browned and then left them to cool in the oven.

The look wonderful but taste like powder!! Tasteless powder at that! Not impressed. Not sure if I need more sweetener or longer cooking or to buy the M&S ones and syn them!! :cry:

Just found this recipe for syn free meringue online, sounds easy enough and the OP says:'Think I'm going to be making these quite often!!'

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
90g Splenda (1 jar)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 130°c.
Whisk up the egg whites until they stick to the bowl when you turn it upside down. Gradually whisk in the Splenda a little at a time.

Cover a baking sheet with baking paper (I find it's a lot easier to stop them sticking).

Spoon dessertspoonfuls of the mixture (using two spoons to shape them) onto the baking sheet. Bake at 130°c for one hour. Then turn the oven off, but leave the merinuges in the oven until it is completely cold (overnight if you're cooking them in the evening). This way they dry out completely and don't have the sticky bit in the middle.'

HTH

Jo x

Just re-reading that recipe - a whole jar of splenda!?!? Blimey!!

But all the reviews said they enjoyed them!

The OP did say that next time she'd half the recipe as it made LOADS!

Jo x

That's a lot of splenda!! I used 3 egg whites and 3 heaped tea spoons of sweetener but only cooked for half an hour. They certainly needed more sweetener though but I'm not sure putting a whole jar of it in them is a good thing???

Hmm..... maybe back to synning them!

Found this as well on Moneysavingexpert.com, posted by a SW Consultant.

MERINGUES - syn free both days & can keep in airtight tin for week!

4 Egg Whites
16 tbsp Splenda (allow 4 tbsp per Egg White)

Preheat oven 110C

Line Baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.

In large bowl (make sure it's extremely clean and dry) whisk Egg Whites into soft peaks.

Whisk Splenda in a tbsp at a time till stiff then fold in remaining with metal spoon.

When whites become fluffy stop and lift up some mixture - it should stand up in stiff pointed peaks. Over-beating can lose air so check every few seconds. Too much Splenda added at once will soften whites and prevent crispness etc.

Beat mixture together well after each addition but don't over-mix!

Drop spoonfuls spaced apart onto paper using tsp for small or dessertspoon for large meringues!

Bake 90 mins or till dry and lift easily off paper (slow gentle cooking ensures they are light and dry with no stickiness).

Cool at room temperature.

To the best of my knowledge these are free as the ingredients don't contain any calories so they can't come under the misuse rule.

Sounds a bit better than a whole jar of splenda!

HTH also, Jo x

There can't be much difference btwn 16 tablespoons, and a whole jar, tbh.

I often make these, and use shed loads of sweetner and a couple of drops of vanilla flavouring. REALLY nice.

xx

Back