Meringues - amount of canderal to egg whites

WillowFae

Gold Member
I want to make the strawberry pavlova in the last magazine but for some reason they use some castor sugar and some canderel. I want to use all canderel but wasn't sure how much to use per egg white.

Anyone have a ratio that they use? The recipe is for 4 egg whites but that makes quite a big one so I might not do that much as it is just for me.

I'm not sure you can make meringue totally without sugar, Willow. Sounds like a challenge! Would be worth an experiment, though. If it's just for you, maybe try using 1 egg white and keep adding the canderel until you have something that looks meringuey enough. A teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a little bit of vinegar may help give the meringue a nice fluffy consistency inside.

I think you can - WW did have a recipe that was point free using artificial sweetener.

I have cornflour and cream of tartar to add. The recipe says to also add raspberry vinegar but I couldn't get any :(

It's definitely worth a shot - the sweetener weighs so light I think you're going to need heaps of it, though.

Don't worry about the vinegar being raspberry vinegar - I just use whatever I have in the cupboard, usually just brown malt vinegar and it works fine.

Doesn't that just make it taste of vinegar?

I've never tasted the vinegar in the meringue - I think because it's so sweet you don't taste the sourness. When using the super-sweet artificial sweeteners, it may actually help to take an edge off that sweetness so it tastes more natural.

I want to make the strawberry pavlova in the last magazine but for some reason they use some castor sugar and some canderel. I want to use all canderel but wasn't sure how much to use per egg white.

Anyone have a ratio that they use? The recipe is for 4 egg whites but that makes quite a big one so I might not do that much as it is just for me.
Hiya... Did you find a way to make meringues with canderel?? Am thinking the very same now n wondered how to weigh it out... ta :)

Dubchick81 said:
Hiya... Did you find a way to make meringues with canderel?? Am thinking the very same now n wondered how to weigh it out... ta :)

alimatron said:
And me!?!

You may struggle to get a response from the OP as it was over 2 years ago! I tried making meringues with just canderel instead of sugar and they weren't that good! You'd be better trying the actual
Sw recipe, or buying them-as they're only low anyway :)

Sorry I can't answer your question, but just to point out, this is a thread from 2009, so don't be disappointed if the original poster doesn't get back to you!!! I'm sure that others have made meringues since then and hopefully one of them will be able to help.

I heard that only Splenda is good for making the SW meringues

I made them last week - 4 egg whites and 16 tablespoons of Splenda x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

lucysmommy said:

Thanks lucysmommy. Were they nice??

Yea knew it was an old thread but hopin they'd get an email.... It someone else would see my Q n hav an answer for me :)

lucysmommy said:

I did too, I used 8g of spenda & they were lovely!

If you like them sweeter then add a little more Splenda. My mum moaned that mine weren't sweet enough (she has a real sweet tooth) so I doubled the amount. It was too sweet for me but she loved them!

Back