metformin

I've been on Metformin for several months now. Started with 700mg per day and am now at 2000mg, which I understand is the max dosage you can be on.

I have to admit when my dosage has changed, it has really taken its toll. Weight gain, spotty, horrible IBS, but after a week or two it calms right down and is more manageable.

The reason my dosage was increased was because my last two periods were about 100 days apart, and when it finally came it was like a blood bath (sorry for TMI!). I can't continue list that. It was dreadful!

I don't know if it helps, but now that I am on the highest dosage, I will give it a go for a couple of months and see if I notice any improvement. If not, I don't really see the point!

I feel like I should add that I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS because I don't have the syndrome, but I do have polycyctic ovaries. I don't quite get it, but this was a result of my gynae doing tests to find out why, after 8 years of TTC, I haven't managed even a whisper of a BFP.

Hi, I just wanted to say that if you get nausea etc with metformin ask to be switched to the slow release Glucophage. It has a lot less side effects but it is more expensive so isn't prescribed first.

I feel like I should add that I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS because I don't have the syndrome, but I do have polycyctic ovaries. I don't quite get it, but this was a result of my gynae doing tests to find out why, after 8 years of TTC, I haven't managed even a whisper of a BFP.

I'm crossing everything that it works for you and you get that BFP very very soon :) I've read and heard so many miracle stories recently that's I'm visualising babies all round. I don't know or understand how the Metformin works either but will bare with it until the end if the year at least to see what happens. Lisa-Ann xxx

Hello,

I'm in a very sad place at the moment. I have always been chubby and suffered bullying but always felt I never ate enough to sustain my weight (14 sstone, 5ft 7) I am desperately trying to lose weight. I walk back and forth from work three times a week (which acumilates to an hour and a half each day) I do spinning classes 2 times a week and try and stay active. I limit my calorie intake to 1500 a day, rarely anymore and never more than 1800. I cannot even manage to shift a single pound :cry:

The only explanantion i can think of is my PCOS which i was diagnosed with a year ago (im 25 now). I am getting pretty desperate and will do anything to shift the weight. Does Metformin work?? Or is there anything else I can talk to the doctor about concerning weight loss medication?

I am so scared of just getting bigger and bigger and would really apreciate anyones help.

Many thanks

I would go and speak to your GP or Gynae and explain what is going on. I suspect that they will try you on a low dose to start with, and go from there.

Whatever happens, you've found a group of like minded ladies, and we've all been at pretty low points once or twice (or a hundred times!) before! x

Hey MissH, I hope you're having a nice Friday evening. As Trinity said you should go and see your GP first and get referred to a gynaecologist if you're not under one already. You will probably need some blood work doing and that might give you some answers with regards to the weight loss difficulties. We're all different so it's important to find out what will work for you. Keep us posted on how you are getting on xxx

ive just recently started taking metformin again(tues) and i have never felt so sick and tired before and never off the loo. But im keeping with it this time all i keep thinkin about is the end result...

Girl from work has been taking 500mg metformin for 5 months then upped to 850mg and 3 weeks later she fell pregnant, There is hope girls xxx

Thanks all I really appreciate your replies :)
I currently have a gynaecologist who I find really unhelpful and rude. I actually have an ultra sound tomorrow because I also have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I have asked if this could make me put on weight but apparently not. I have had blood work done and I have a hormone imbalance, I know I should probably know more but my gynaecologist is really vague. Perhaps my next step should be actually finding a new one! I have an appointment with my gp this week to discuss weight loss. Fingers crossed! Will keep u all posted xxx :)

Back