Milk Week

Deb G

Silver Member
Anyone done it? Anyone choose NOT to do it? Did you stay in ketosis? Did you find it hard to go back to the packs without milk after? Did you lose weight that week?

no one in our group did it, we all decided that we didnt want to, and even if we had, we would have struggled to drink 1.5 litres a day

Oh good - I don't plan on doing it - I should be finished in about 8 weeks so I don't see the point. Our LLC said that it was up to us, but she HAS to advise us (and quite rightly) that we should be doing it.

Yeah - week 12 (or 13) you have to double your calories for a week (NICE Guidelines for those on VLCDs). You're supposed to make all your shakes/soups up with milk for one week - BUT it can take you out of ketosis, and most don't lose any weight that week. You're supposed to do this every 12 weeks that you're on your VLCD (ie if you have a lot of weight to lose, you may cycle this 2-3 times).

Here's the info:

NICE (National Institute for health and Clinical Effectiveness) have just published a paper on VLCDs. The paper concludes that a person should not follow a VLCD for longer than a maximum of 12 weeks. This obviously has significant implications for LL. LL are in talks with NICE to provide them with more information and data. In the meantime, LL cannot be seen to go against the conclusions reached by NICE and have decided that after 12 weeks of the VLCD LL plan there will be one LCD week where calories will be increased from 500 per day to 1000 per day. In order to achieve this milk will be added to the packs instead of water for that week. Following the 'milk week' you can then go back on to the usual LL plan (for 12 weeks and then have another 'milk week' and then so on and so on..).

Our LLC discussed this with us, some ladies said they are lactose intolerant and wouldn't be able to do it.
I am thinking, no f***ing way am I going to waste a week drinking milk and £66 (possibly more), get out of ketosis, feel crap for 3 days again and probably ruin 2 weeks weight loss. If I continue as I am I will be done in 20 weeks and I am prepared to take responsibility for it myself.
Our LLC basically said she has to give us the leaflet and advise us to do it, but that is all she can do. I think she realises that nobody is planning on doing it in our group.

It is quite a recent thing I think, so anyone doing it for a second time probably didn't do it first time round.

Well what a stupid idea...they could at least just do an add-a-meal week like CD do to keep you in ketosis.

This has come up before, and if I remember rightly, no-one said they had done it! Certainly in my group we all decided to ignore it. But you can see why LL has to offer it to keep to the guidelines. My LLC told us that the problem is that there is little research on VLCDs beyond 12 weeks, so they can't guarantee that they are safe. I wonder if LL might be interested in participating in some research into longer-term VLCDs?

LL suggest adding milk rather than a meal because they think that if we get the taste for food again it will be an even slippery slope than the milk. They just needed to build the calories up to meet the NICE guidelines.
I didn't do it and I don't think anyone in our group did although a couple took it as an opportunity to have a much longed for Latte!!! lol
Our LLC just asked us to tell her that we had done it whether we had or not as she was obliged to inform us of it and check we had done it. She is a client of old of LL and didn't do it herself and didn't see the point, unofficially of course!

Hmmm. Hadn't heard about that. It would seem, the milk might possible make the packets taste better (?), then that would make it hard to go back to making them with water? WHich could sabatoge a few things. Might it not be better to just drink a couple glasses of milk if its necessary?

I don't know - I haven't started yet so don't know how they taste anyway....but seems that could upset the apple cart. I see the point, from a health point of view I suppose - but seems tricky.

It does raise a few questions for me that I hadn't considered however....and that is, can we take vitamin supplements? I try to have a fair amount of calcium in my diet as I am at high risk of Osteoporosis (I had to have a hysterectomy quite young - which puts me at a high risk) So I am wondering if I can take calcium supplements? I bet I can't! lol - shouldn't be too bad just for several months, but just wondering.

I am surprised that your LLCs are giving you an option of whether to do milk week or not. It does make me wonder whether they have been told why it's important.:confused:

Perhaps they feel that people are going to do their own thing anyway :D

Quite intrigued Alibongo by the fact that some of the ladies in your group said they're lactose intolerant - to my knowledge LL packs aren't lactose free so what are these 'lactose intolerant' people drinking?! lol! They must be literally starving! Feel free to correct me on this - I know Cambridge packs are slowly swapping to lactose free but apparently this is for cost reasons rather than intolerance reasons (soya powder is far cheaper than milk powder so Cambridge won't need to increase their prices)
I'm on day 145 and although I swapped to CD on day 116 (which lets face it is pretty much identical) I didn't do milk week. My LLC explained it on about week 2 and gave out the leaflets but it wasn't mentioned again and as she pointed out - she had no way of checking whether or not we had done it. Same goes for Cambridge, I'm meant to be doing add a meal week this week (every 4 weeks) but as my CD counsellor pointed out - he has no idea whether I'm doing it or not as I still need the same number of packs so the decision is mine. There's no way I'm going to start eating once a month - far easier to just get on with the abstinence!

MM x

Blonde logic, the thing on his head is a jumper belonging to his 2 year old grand daughter!! She wouldn't wear it so he said he would!!! Gave us all a huge laugh and it's one of my favourite photos!! Had to use it here!!
You will do great, it is, by and large a relatively easy program to do. Just keep to the rules and you will sail along. I can hardly believe that I will go into the new year well over 5 stone lighter than I did last year. Amazing!

I am surprised that your LLCs are giving you an option of whether to do milk week or not. It does make me wonder whether they have been told why it's important.:confused:

My LLC was fully aware of why it is important and advised us to do it, gave us the leaflets etc, she wasn't giving us the option, but I have decided not to and there isn't much they can do about it once I have not done it ;), they can't force feed me. She will obviously know I haven't when I lose that week and not gain, but hey, I can live with that.

Quite intrigued Alibongo by the fact that some of the ladies in your group said they're lactose intolerant - to my knowledge LL packs aren't lactose free so what are these 'lactose intolerant' people drinking?!

They aren't lactose free, but there is quite a difference between a few of these packs, and a few of these packs with added gallons of milk.
One of the ladies in question is having a bit of a problem with them, but is persevering.

I can't imageine haveing a food week every 4 while trying to abstain!! That would be a train wreck for me - there would be no going back!!!

:D It sounds worse than it is :D

My LLC was fully aware of why it is important and advised us to do it, gave us the leaflets etc, she wasn't giving us the option,

That's good. At least you have the facts and can make your choice from that :)

She will obviously know I haven't when I lose that week and not gain,
I very much doubt you'd gain. Just out of interest, what milk is it? Skimmed? Full fat?

Back