MiM's & flaxseed recipes

From the atkins website

Flax Seed Loaf

This is my version so you can go by this but you can always modify it yourself.

Ingredients:

250g of flax seed - 4nc

100g butter - 0.1nc

8 tsp of cinnamon (I use sticks of cinnamon and grind them down as the flavour and smell is much stronger than what you get pre packed)- 4.7nc

2 tsp of bread soda (no carbs) - 0 nc

5 eggs (medium) - 1.7nc

Total carbs for loaf is 10.5nc (Loaf is 2,415 calories) and you can easily get 10 or more slices from this. It's a great alternative to bread. I'm going to make myself a sandwich tomorrow maybe a BLT.

Mix all dry ingredients together, melt butter then add all wet ingredients into dry in a bowl and mix well. Butter your loaf tin but mine is non stick so didn't bother. Place in a heated oven, middle shelf. Once cooked place on a cooling rack. You can then place in your fridge or maybe freeze half.

Loaf Tin used (inside measurements) 9inch x 4.5inch x 2" depth. Cook at 350f or 170c for 20 minutes.

It went lovely this morning (1oz slice) with my bacon, scrammbled eggs and cherry toms.

1oz works out at 127cals - 0.6nc

Again from Atkins forum

This is a cookie recipe made by Vicky (Golden Brown).... I just created this and it is my own version but it can always be modified to suit yourself. This is also induction friendly.

Also this is not for the weak willed so if you can't trust yourself to eat the whole lot then don't make them.

Ingredients:

- 80g Golden Flaxseed well ground (resemblances flour - I grind my own)

- 30g Butter

- 6 tsp of splenda (level or 5g each)

- 1/4 tsp Bread Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)Baking soda

Ground the golden flaxseed until very fine, add sweetner and bicarbonate of soda, mix. Melt butter slightly until very soft, add dry ingredients and mix well. Take a large piece of cling film and place dough like mixture on top of clingfilm and then close sides. Start rolling this until you get a sausage shape about 8 inches long. Place in fridge for one hour.

Once cooled take out and cut into 10 pieces. Place each piece on baking sheet and push down with spoon/finger to give you a biscuit shape (1/4 inch thick). Bake in a heated oven, middle shelf for 10 minutes until golden brown on 170c or 350degrees. If cookie is too brown when reduce heat.

Once baked place on a cooling rack until cool then place in a sealed container with greasproof paper in the fridge.

Each cookie is 62 calories and is 0.15nc. Fat 8.9% and cholesterol 2%.

Hope you like them.

Easy Flaxmeal Crackers

2 Tbsp flaxmeal
1 Tbsp water
whatever seasoning you like...suggestions are..
salt, pepper, cayanne pepper, onion salt, galic salt, grated parm cheese...etc etc..you are limited only by your imagination..

Mix thoroughly and spead thin on parchment paper..cook in mic about 2 to 3 minutes till crispy. Remove from parchment and break into pieces.

Cinammon Flaxmeal Crackers

1/2 cup Flaxmeal
sweetner of choice to taste
1 tsp cinimmon
1/4 cup water

Mix together till you can form a firm ball...spread between two layers of parchment paper and roll out very thin....remove top paper only....bake on cookie sheet at 350 for about 20 minutes till crispy...remove from paper and cool....these can be used as cereal...just break up small and pour heavy cream on them..

Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers

If you don't like garlic taste then just omit also the same goes for the salt.

Prep time: 10 mins/cooking time 15 mins

1 cup flax seed meal
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Heat oven to 400 F.

1) Mix all ingredients together.

2) Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicone mat or greased parchment paper.

3) Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4) Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5) Break into pieces. You can also make into individual crackers by rolling into small circles (was not allowed to use the word b***s) and shaping (size of a ritz). Should get around 24.

PLEASE NOTE ADD WATER SPARINGLY, YOU MAY NOT NEED THE FULL AMOUNT

Vicky

Here is the metric quantities:

124g flax seed meal
90g Parmesan cheese, grated
1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 fl oz water, maybe 3 fl oz sufficient

Microwaved Garlic/ Cheese Flax Loaf in two minutes

Hi guys I tried this last night and it worked and tasted great with a cup of coffee. I am not big on measuring when I cook. I eyeball everything...but I will try my best to estimate measurement...it goes like this....

2 cups flaxmeal
2 eggs
1 Tbs Butter
1 clove garlic crushed finely
1/2 cup cheddar mature cheese
pinch of salt

Method

Melt butter in a bowl let cool a bit then add eggs and whisked. Then add crushed garlic and salt. To this mixture add Flaxmeal and cheese and mix well. If seem too dry add a small amount of water about a table spoon.
This mixture should be moist but NOT runny

Put the mixture in a small microwaveable container and microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and let cooled. Cut a slice and ENJOY!

I had this last night with a small piece of Avocado and a cup of coffee.

This morning I had another slice with a scrambled egg and coffee. This Flax is a God sent for me because I can replace bread with no guilt at all.

Hope this was clear enough be be understood : )

Kiwi

Here's my no-butter MIMS variation...eating it as I type...yum! It tastes more like a spice cake. In fact, I am going to play around with adding allspice and pumpkin pie spice. I don't eat butter so I was happy to find a way to use oil instead.

Spicecake MIM with coconut oil & walnuts

1/4 cup flaxmeal or ground flax seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (more if you like it really cinnamony)
1/3 packet stevia (sweeten to taste - I don't like much sweetness)
1 large egg
1 tbs coconut oil (health food/natural food stores have this)
1 tbs ground walnuts

microwave 1 minute.

notes:
This is so rich and satisfying, I can't imagine adding anything to it.

I use a coffee grinder to grind nuts and seeds.

I may not have used a whole tablespoon of ground walnuts but it sure lends a nice flavor and texture. You could use other nuts as well: almonds, pecans, macademias. Or just leave them out.

FWIW, I don't have much luck making MIMs in a coffee cup. I use a cereal bowl instead.

Regan

Flax Pizza Crust

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 and 1/2 C flax seed meal
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* Sweetener to equal about 1 Tablespoon of sugar
* 3 Tablespoons of oil
* 3 eggs
* `1/2 C water

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 F.

1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Add wet ingredients, and mix very well.
3. Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.
4. Spread on pan (I put it on a silicon mat or greased parchment paper).
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, then add toppings and cook until they are done.

Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust has 7 grams of effective carbohydrate, plus 52 grams fiber, 47 grams protein, 130 grams healthy fat, and 1525 calories.

This turned out really good for me. I was impressed and it tasted good. Instead of sauce, I blended a tomato in the blender, added some spices and 1 tsp oil. It was watery, but once onto the 'crust' and baked, it gave the whole pizza a good taste.

have you been extremely busy this morning cooking :D

awww lol
was it noisy?

ahhh peace and quiet for a while.

Thanks for the added recipes! Flaxseed is a Godsend to me, too. I honestly could not manage Atkins, especially vegetarian Atkins, so well without MIMs and other flax goodies.

To think we might never have heard of flaxmeal! ~shudders~

Whoever (whomever?) invented the MIM, I salute you! Many, many thanks.

Where to find linseed?

Thanks for recipe. Hope I find some linseed in sainbury's tomorrow. What aisle would it be in?

From pig2twig. Only suitable for OWL I would assume??

Flax/Linseed Biscuits
150g Ground Linseed
30g Finely grated parmesan cheese
1 TBS Bran
1 TBS Pumpkin seeds
1 TBS Sesame seeds
1 TBS Unsweetened coconut
2 TBS Protein powder
1 TSP Baking powder
1/4 TSP Salt
2 Large Eggs
2 TBS Oil - light olive, peanut etc.
Mix all the dry ingredients very well.
Beat the eggs and oil in a bowl that will hold the entire mixture then add the dry ingredients and mix well.
Place the mixture into a microwave suitable container. I use a plastic food box 19 x 12 cm.
Cook in microwave at full power for 2 minutes. My oven is category E 1000 watts.
Turn out onto rack and leave to cool.
Cut into thin slices - I get 23 from mine. Place onto baking sheets and bake in a cool oven until crisp. I can't give you a setting as I use the bottom oven in the Rayburn which has no gauge. I estimate 200 FARENHEIT, for about an hour, but keep checking. If the oven is too hot they taste burnt.
The net carbs are about 18 for the whole mixture, 0.8 per biscuit.
Don't be put off by the smell when they come out of the microwave, and don't taste until they are cool from the baking. I wasn't overly impressed at first but have come to like them now.
The recipe is flexible - leave out the seeds, coconut and bran if you wish, but I like them chunky.
You can also use half and half ground almonds and linseed or entirely almonds.
For a *sweet* version leave out the salt and cheese and add vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon mixed spice or even 1TBS cocoa. If you have no qualms using Splenda then add some, but I don't.
They aren't sweet, but with a cup of coffee you can almost think you are eating a biscuit.
The protein powder could be left out, but I think it makes them lighter, and more nutritious.

These MiM's are new to me - can't wait to try as I rarely have time for breakfast! Plus, I finally have a use for the flaxmeal I bought at the start of the diet (because the book told me to!)

Ditzee, you seem to be the expert - are these ok for induction? even the choccy one?

Hi can any one advise me am i allowed a MIM every day on induction, had one tonight "bliss"

Hi only just noticed your post.

YES you can have a MIM every single day during Induction! They are bliss, aren't they? LOL. You can have the pancake too and lots of other flaxmeal things.

Enjoy!

TO MAKE YOUR MIM MORE LIKE A CAKE IN TEXTURE:

Add a little more baking powder, add I tablespoonful of cream instead of oil and, very important, add water until the mixture is fairly runny. Not too thin but, say, the consistency of thinnish porridge. THEN microwave for around 1 minute 40 seconds, perhaps a bit more.

Tinker with the amount of water until you have the cake texture you prefer. It is sometimes easier to use ONE egg per two MIMs. That's what I do now.

I just made one that was so like sponge cake!

TEN FLAX FACTS

• Flaxmeal and Milled Flax Seed are the same thing.
• Flaxmeal/Milled Flax Seed is just ground-up flax seeds. You can grind flax seeds into flaxmeal in a coffee grinder.
• You can usually find flaxmeal/flax seeds in the baking aisle, cereal aisle, or bulk foods section of your grocery store. Natural foods stores are more likely to have it but many mainstream grocery stores carry it, too. Many Costco stores carry it in their baking section.
• Flax can go rancid. Store it in your fridge or freezer.
• 2 tablespoons of flaxmeal has 1 net carb, so count your carbs and don’t go overboard.
• Always drink extra water if you're eating flax products. If you have any intestinal discomfort, start with a lower amount of flax and increase gradually. You may need to do this if you've been eating a low-fiber diet.
• There are two types of flax: golden and regular (dark brown). Dark-brown flax tastes nuttier; golden flax has a sweeter taste. Mix them, if you like.
• Flax is one of nature's richest sources of Omega-3 fatty acids and lignans, both of which are very good for you.
• In the UK and elsewhere, flaxseed is known as linseed.
• Linen is woven from flax fibers.
This ongoing Atkins Community thread has the basic MIM (Muffin in a Minute) recipe, as well as tips and variations:

An idea for a burger bun

I used one of those ramekin dishes, (this one was about 4 1/4 inches across the top and holds approx. 8 oz.water to the top) I used some garlic and parmesan, etc. for some extra flavor. It needed a little longer than the usual minute, maybe 15 extra seconds, but it came out the perfect size and shape for a bun !!!

Sweetened MiM

You can add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of dry sugar free jello in your favorite flavor and have a special little treat

Back