mince meat

KraziKayzi

Silver Member
Hiya all,

I know that extra lean mince meat is free on EE but was wondering if I could stick to the way I usually to mince, which is buy normal cheapish fresh mince meat, which normally costs about £1-2 a pack, I brown off and drain every little bit of fat out that I can squeeze out if it before making it into the desired meal.
I usually get LOADS of fat out of it this way and the mince ends up quite dry.
I find the EL mince more expensive and money is tight these days (as we are all pretty aware of) so would love to have my old favs like spag bol and cottage pie again, but don't want to risk a gain because of it.

xKx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

I wouldnt do it personally. Just syn it, it really isn't *that* much at 1.5 syns an ounce.

There would still be fat in the mince no matter how much you drain it off, you just have to look at the colour of it in the pack its like a pinky white colour where the extra lean mince is red, I personally couldn't do it and definitely wouldn't want to waste my syns on it! :)

Do you know how much just normal lean costs? That's only half a syn an ounce I think, might be a good compromise if you can find it cheaper anywhere? Maybe you cant though. A lot of people dont syn lean mince at all as it is so low.

Just checked Tesco are doing
IDShot_225x225.jpg
2x 500g Lean Mince for £5 that works out at only £2.50 per pack

or

IDShot_225x225.jpg
2x 500g Extra Lean Mince for £6 at £3 a pack :)

BB359311-7FC9-49B3-A2BF-E1C4D59BC521_Spec2_v1_m56577569833906432.jpg
Sainsbury's are doing Lean Steak Mince 700g Buy 3 for £10.00

or

bdc55915-d8c2-49d7-9db4-bfcc601ffd5c_Spec2_v1_m56577569833995983.jpg
Extra Lean Beef Steak Mince 600g Buy 3 for £10.00

Last edited:
There would still be fat in the mince no matter how much you drain it off, you just have to look at the colour of it in the pack its like a pinky white colour where the extra lean mince is red, I personally couldn't do it and definitely wouldn't want to waste my syns on it! :)

Not sure that judging by the colour is such a good idea - some butchers - not all of them - do put colouring into meat to make it look more appealing and give the appearance that it contains less fat. Always read the nutritional info to be sure.

One tip to try is to buy a cheap cut of steak (eg smartprice frying steak), remove the fat and stick it in a food processor to "mince" it yourself. If I do this I just simmer the dish for a bit longer to make sure the meat isn't tough.

You could also try using turkey mince in a few recipes instead of beef mince as its a lot cheaper. I make burgers and kebabs/koftas using turkey mince and my family never question it.

I suggest buying extra lean mince and eat it less often if cost is an issue. I think buying full fat mince is false economy because all the fat that makes up the weight will be drained off anyway so you'll be getting much less meat than you would if you used extra lean mice which is almost all meat!

And remember you can bulk out the extra lean mince and make it go further by adding veggies, quorn mince, lentils or pulses which are cheaper than meat

If you have a local butchers near you check out their offers. My butcher does 3% fat mince & does a bulk buy offer - 5lbs for £10.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I got some meat from a butchers stall type thing at my local Sunday booty...although I can't tell how much fat it is as there is no packaging, it is steak mince? Don't know if that is any better, I can see little specks of white fat in it, but it is far darker then the cheaper mince beef I usually buy, I think I will just be extra good syn wise on a day I do my spag bol/cottage pie just to make sure :) but I will also keep my portion down.

X

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Back