Mince

I think I read in another thread that if your stews are watery you can finish them in a frying pan to reduce the liquid.

I've cheated and drained the liquid of a stew, then microwaved it on really hight so it superheats and evaporates, then poured it back over the stew. You have to be careful though, sometimes it all overflows. LOL.

Well whaddaya know, Tesco now stock Xanthan gum!
Doves Farm Xanthan Gum 110g product information - Tesco.com

Apparently you only need to use about a tsp to thicken a sauce or gravy, and it is carb free. Woo!

I'm going to get me some this weekend, according to the Tesco online superstore it is sold on the Free From (gluten free) products shelf in store. And then I'll go mad with lovely thick soups, stews and gravies!!! (I am stupidly excited about this, it's really sad...)

Now that sounds good LM, I'll go and have a look this weekend as well.

I'll let y'all know how I get on with the xanthan...

I have a quick question for slow cooker users, I tend to bung stuff into mine about 7.30am before I leave the house for work, then leave it on low until I get in at about 5.40. Which is usually too long, the meat (anything other than cheap tough beef) falls apart (and not in a good way) and there is no flavour left, except for that strange flavour which I can only describe as 'overcooked'. Most recipes seem to indicate about 6 hours cooking time, but the very least I can manage is 9.5!

My question is, do you ever leave your slow cooker on a timer delay plug with food in it ready to start cooking a few hours after you leave the house? And, crucially, is it safe to leave meat sitting on top of veggies at room temp for three hours before you start to cook it? Or could it lead to food poisoning?

I think that would be fine LM, in both cases. But not chicken or pork. Beef and lamb will be OK, they don't hang it anywhere near as long as they used to.

Well that Dana Carpender book has some tips about avoiding overcooked food from your slow cooker if you're going to be out of the house for 9-10 hrs:

...do all your prep work the night before - cooking dinner after dinner as it were. Then lift the filled crockery insert out of the base and stash it in the fridge overnight. The next morning, pull it out of the fridge, put it in the base and turn it on just before you leave the house. Starting with chilled food will add 1 to 2 hours to your cooking time...

...If you need to extend your time even further, consider getting a timer (plug). You should be fine letting your food wait 2 hours before the timer turns on the slow cooker - 3 if the food is straight out of the fridge.

I think I'd be happier keeping the meat & veg separate in the fridge the night before, but I wouldn't normally start with chilled veg - and a chilled pot as well - so I guess that would keep the meat colder than room temp for an hour or so...

That's a good post LM!

Back