minced beef

xrachx

i use the lean steak mince less than 12% fat (typically)
what does everyone else use? i dont eat that much meat really well not mince anyway but i want to make some lovely meatballs and spaghetti for tea tomorrow and was just wondering whats the best mince to get and where to get it from thankyou x

I always use extra lean mince from sainsburys unless they're out then i just use lean mince.

I just use any lean mince and always try to drain off any fat that may appear once browned.

thanks ladies, i always always drain it, i will have to go get some extra lean mince see what the difference is x

Just to make sure I get all the fat out after browning mince, I drain it then pour boiling water over it. It's surprising how much more fat comes out!

Halo mince.

i use the lean steak mince less than 12% fat (typically)
what does everyone else use? i dont eat that much meat really well not mince anyway but i want to make some lovely meatballs and spaghetti for tea tomorrow and was just wondering whats the best mince to get and where to get it from thankyou x
Hi, I buy my own meat, trim off all fat and then mince it. I try to make big batches at a time. I use it to make my own burgers, for spag bol, chilli con carne. I also mince my own pork and mix with the beef mince to make amazing meatballs. I know its more expensive, but its as near to 100% as you can get. I bought the mincer in Lakeland. Hope this helps. Marain x

Just to make sure I get all the fat out after browning mince, I drain it then pour boiling water over it. It's surprising how much more fat comes out!

Good idea, I never thought of that but will definately try it tonight when I make my chilli con carne! Thanks for sharing it with us.

My Mum boils her mince, not for long (just untill it all changes colour) and then rinses, it really does get rid of loads of fat that way too.

I know that some people rinse and drain lean or "normal" mince but the fact is that unless you use extra lean mince, it is not a free food.

Lean and normal mince is synned.

Hi, I buy shops ordinary mince, brown it, drain it then pour boiling water over.
If you boil it in water in a saucepan I should think all the fat is boiled out anyway.
Maybe you could drain it strait away, then pour fresh boiling water over to make sure!
Then just carry on as per recipe!
Ps have used mince 4 times this week and lost!

Hi, I buy shops ordinary mince, brown it, drain it then pour boiling water over.
If you boil it in water in a saucepan I should think all the fat is boiled out anyway.
Maybe you could drain it strait away, then pour fresh boiling water over to make sure!
Then just carry on as per recipe!
Ps have used mince 4 times this week and lost!

You are lucky!!! One to cut out though if the losses slow down or stop.

I know!
But have always used mince, it's soooo versatile!
spag bol
lasagna
burgers
meat loaf
moussaka
shep pie
the list is endless!

Rosina, you can still use mince just switch to the extra lean stuff as normal mince is not free :)

I am terrified of using mince these days in case it is the wrong kind!

Thank you for all your concerns, I have been done sw at least 4 diff times over the last 26-27 years and have never used ex lean mince!
But I will promise that if my weight losses stop I will switch and see if it make any difference.
My nurse who is also a trained nutritionist, has told me that the way I "process" my mince makes it virtually ff

Back