Minerva; Confessions of a Food Addict.

Never say... "tomorrow" ... because tomorrow never seems to come.

I'm caught in a cycle, a perpetuating pattern. I can't see the pattern clearly enough to be able to deviate from it in order to break the chain.

I've come round full circle it seems. Overeater, undereater, Overeater. ... I know I give food too much thought ... but I'm obsessed, addicted to it. ... Addiction really is the right word.

I hope I can break the cycle soon ... I know I can, I need to find the strength. It's not an IF. It's a when. There's always something big enough that pushes me into action... guess I'm waiting for that something ... I hope it comes soon ...

But ... on the good news front... I've moved into my new house.. YAY! It's lovely. :)
And funnily enough, not that it was planned or anything... But... I can officially say: "Hi, I'm Minerva, and I live on Minerva Road." ... I'm not joking either...! The road really is named that! :)

Congratulations Minerva,
I hope this move into your new house will help you get back the control you crave.

Congrats Minerve of Minerva Road!! You must be thrilled to bits to finally be there. Please post pics of the new house :)

Jez
xx

Day 3 of Sugar/Carb avoidance/cleanse.

I can't say this is easy. I'm sticking to eating vegetables (no fruit even) and protein. Chewing sugar-free fruity gum like there's no tomorrow. Drinking coffee cup after cup.
All day I seem to be grazing on vegetables – not “bingeing” as such – because a binge constitutes uncontrollable eating to bursting point. I am not doing that – I am not letting myself get there. Plus the vegetables don’t call for me to go into a blind eating frenzy like bread/cake/crisps/chocolate do. ... And it literally does become a blind panic when I have those things – I know I can’t have chocolate or a slice of bread, because I physically won’t be able to stop. Sounds odd? Surely one has self-control? Some sort of self-judgement? ... Seems no. Tell that to the alcoholic in a wine cellar.
If I have some chocolate, or cake, or ...anything “damaging” really, all judgement leaves me. I suddenly NEED MORE. Even if I have to climb counters, stand on a cliff-edge reaching for the next chocolate bar, I’ll do it. Even if I have to walk in the rain to the only shop that’s open – I will... And when I get there the ONE promised chocolate bar, suddenly turns into 10, with some cake on top, and a family size bag of crisps in there for good measure. Oh, and the salted peanuts. ... And maybe a large pack of biscuits too. ... and yes. Judgement leaves because all that would be gone in a few hours. ... Then bloated, unable to move because of the pain, I’d still want more. Sweating, overheating from the sudden influx of around 6000-8000 calories, there’s always space for one more chocolate bar. ... and god, does it feel awful to feel so helpless. Of course it’s my fault, it’s my own doing. I am asking for no sympathy. But writing about it, I guess makes me think about it properly.
I have been soul-searching for a long time. I know this cleanse is going to be hard physically – because my body as it gets rid of the sugar toxins is screaming for them. I am craving them so very much. I know though, that once it’s out of the system – it gets easier. I will ‘forget’ the taste of chocolate and bread and will no longer feel that desperation to have it when it’s in front of me. I’ll have a sense of self-control back. Sugar and I just don’t mix. My dad has noticed this in himself too, when he has sugar he loses self-control and can’t stop eating. ... But the worst thing with it is – it’s not a HUNGER we’re chasing. We’re not hungry, not even ‘emotionally’ hungry. It’s just a need to eat. Eat, eat, eat, all the time. To chew. To taste something.
Part of me laments right now, as I come off the sugar that I will never be able to enjoy food. I can’t say I enjoyed the last few months when I wasn’t eating much at all. But then again I can’t say I enjoyed it when I was bloated and feeling utterly disgusted with myself either. I wish I had a ‘normal’ way of dealing with it. I wish I knew when to stop without having to analyze, and think about it so much. Maybe that’s why I can’t relax around it at all – because I know, that if I do, I will be back to where I started.

I don’t want to be where I was 2 years ago. Right now I’m at my original ‘target’, my first initial one, of 10 stone. Size 12. Quite a bit unhappy with it, because only 3 months ago I was an 8. I think, lesson learned for now. I also learned that we have an extremely massive glycogen cupboard. Bigger than any of us think – water weight can account to as much as a stone. There are the stores present in the liver and muscles (they all swell up quite massively). And also stores under our skin – which are very unpleasant. I noticed the two in myself. After an excessive sugar, salt, bread, whatever binge, I saw two processes. My muscles felt ‘bruised’, swollen and tender, around my neck, torso and chest. My skin also became very ‘puffy’, my whole body ‘swelled’, and when I wore socks, the elastic left very long-lasting indentations – so much so, that the leg did not regain its shape for quite a few hours, and only a skin massage would help it along. My stomach expanded to double the size. It’s as if someone blew me up like a balloon! Needless to say, very uncomfortable. And the churning under the skin in my bum (yes, I felt it under the skin there ...) is also quite disturbing. The fat stores distributing themselves. ... It’s a weird experience actually FEELING the energy turn into fat and being laid down around your body.
So, now I’m taking it one step at a time. Sticking to vegetables and gum and protein for now. Day 3 cyclically had been the hardest and my ‘give up point’ over the last month as I’ve been trying to get back to normal, but day 3 would usually end up as the day when I got tempted to go and buy bad things – and end up in another 2 day binge. Not today though. Today, I need to stick it out. I need to fight for myself. ... I may be eating a few too many vegetables at the moment and grazing without respite, but I will deal with that once the sugar rush is over. I know I can do this, because I’ve done this successfully before... just, need to remember who I am. Who I want to be. ... and which direction I want my life to go.

Day 4 of Sugar/Carb ... freedom. ;)

Changing the language helps. I feel a bit better today, even more so. The more all that 'junk' gets out of my system - the better I feel, not just emotionally, but physically. My body FEELS like it's halved in size in just 4 days (though I know it hasn't really, my size 12 jeans still fit the same - except I don't have a huge belly overhang :) ).

Of course a part of me still laments that I cannot have sugar and whatever again because I have a terrible sweet-tooth for cake and soft bread is my ultimate downfall. But I cannot have it if it turns me into some sort of sugar-craving-demon. I mean, quite literally.

And no, before you say - Ah but sugar can't be evil, you just need to learn to control yourself, blah blah blah - The key is to have one and abstain from the rest, blah blah blah. ... Ok. I know that argument, and I think for some people that just doesn't work. We're all different chemically, physiologically etc etc - and I have noticed terrible things happen in my ability to function as a normal person when I have some. It's not normal to suddenly become consumed by tunnel vision to 'seek and eat' EVERYTHING in front of oneself to the point that you want to throw up and can't move. That is what sugar does to me. I have seen this time and time again when situations led to it, I know I am a rational person and I know what I need and want. But that judgement becomes irrationally clouded by the addictive properties sugar has for me.

Maybe that's just my drug. One I cannot and should not have. I'm fine with that. I'd come to terms with it a long time ago - though it doesn't stop me wanting it... But... want and need are two very different things. As the chemicals leave my body I can ignore the 'want' better, the Hobnobs on the counter don't bother me anymore...

:)

hi min
glad to hear things are going better over the last few days.
i'm keeping my fingers crossed you will conquer your food demons -

you have such strong will power when you set your mind to something - its almost as if it works against you the opposite way when you are on a downer. two extremes.

keep doing what you are doing, you can and will get there

daisy x

And no, before you say - Ah but sugar can't be evil, you just need to learn to control yourself, blah blah blah - The key is to have one and abstain from the rest, blah blah blah. ... Ok. I know that argument, and I think for some people that just doesn't work.

I feel the same way, Min - just something I've observed in myself whilst gradually changing my eating habits completely over the last 18 months. For a year I followed the SW plan, and noticed that on the odd occasion when I would 'treat' myself to the kind of high sugar/fat things I'd cut out, I would wake up the next morning with insatiable cravings for more of the same. Really extraordinary and noticeable effects, a sort of 'desperation' as you've phrased it, to consume more and more. Managing my eating would become enormously difficult for the following couple of weeks, where before I'd been breezing along quite happily.

I went through this pattern about four or five times before it dawned on me that the effects I was experiencing after eating high sugar/fat foods were physiological - not psychological, as I'd assumed. It feels psychological because of the mental turmoil caused by the physical cravings, but I'm convinced there is a physiological chain reaction involved here that, for want of a better term, could be called 'addictive' in the same sense that drugs and alcohol can be.

For me, the idea that it's healthier to be able to have these things in moderation, learn to just have a bit and then choose to refrain, simply doesn't work. It's a bit like saying to someone who's managed to get off heroin - 'Fantastic, well done! Now, to show you REALLY have beaten it, we'd just like you to have a little bit of heroin now and again. Just a taste, you know, and then JUST SAY NO.'

Extreme analogy, maybe, but that's how it feels for me. I totally understand where you're coming from with this. I'd love to be one of those people who can do the above, but it's not gonna happen. I did the thing that actually works for me - turned my back on those foods for good. It might not be the idealogically 'correct' way to handle things, but in practical terms it's what actually works.

Anyway, glad to see you're starting to feel more in control again Min, as always your diary is fascinating, instructive and helpful to follow. :)

Hi Min,

Congratulation on your move - especially moving to "your very own street"!!! Well done you!

I am keeping fingers crossed for you - and reading with a big interest upcoming updates...
I know exactly how it feels - more "bad" things you eat the more difficult is to actualy control yourself.
I am using this knowledge in my own way. When I do have a treat one day I just KNOW that I'll wake up next morning craving for even more of the junk. My whole body would try every possible trick in a book to get what it wants...Guess, what? Just learnt to say NO! Firm no! End off.
Fact that it happens every time I brake my sugar/carbs rules gives me the power to deal with it in appropriate manner... Power of knowledge, eh?
I know that your case it is much more complicated and I do appreciate seriousness of your "addiction" but I can't stress enough you are doing grant job and come on you, if anything else, you should be very proud of yourself. There is only way forward - you are on a way to claim your control back and deep inside you know it. It's just a matter of finding a right road...
And what could be a better start than moving to your own place?
I am rooting for you all the way Ms Minevra from Minevra Road!
This itself is pretty extraordinary - almost as extraordinary as you my dear xxxxx

Hi Min
how's it going?
Daisy x

Minerva,
So much of what you've said rings a very large bell with me. I am good for days, sticking to "healthy" food then it all goes horribly wrong. One little sweet turns into how much can I stuff into my face. Never mind that I am full, I feel full, uncomfortable full, but another bag of crisps won't do any harm now will it!!
I have lost track of the amount of times I have gone to bed at night feeling sick because I have stuffed myself with just about anything I could get my hands on.
Bread, oh, soft fresh bread. I still need to learn to walk away. I found myself buying a loaf and working my way through the whole thing, couldn't help myself. Well, that's my excuse!
I know what I need to do to get on and stay on track. Just not too much fun. I think I just enjoy food far too much and in far too large a quantity.
I am back on the low carb kick at the moment but it's tough.
I think it will always be something that hangs round us, the voice that tells us it's okay, what harm can it do.
We know the harm, it's just making the choice not to buy it/eat it.
Difficult.

.....?
you OK - you've gone a bit quiet, hope all is well
daisy x

Hmmm :) I'll reply a little later today, the previous posts by you guys have made me think a bit - so I need to consider them one at a time!

But, after a short f*ck-up from wednesday-saturday last week (was my birthday so sabotaged myself...), I'm ok now. I didn't touch chocolate (which usually drives major sugar binges) and stuck to bread... Bread is easier to come off than mainstream sugar, and I'm slowly reintroducing 'control' again - little things, like less picking from the fridge and actually having gaps between mealtimes again... I can't fix everything all at once - but one day at a time, I know I'll get there.
Must say though - I'm glad I overdid it on the dieting thing, otherwise I would have been in a much worse position now. I knew I was preparing myself for a very difficult time and was predicting a big weight gain. I was right, but in the great span of things, I've still LOST 8 stone, so I must remind myself that I have not 'failed'... though it is difficult to remember.

Thanks for checking up on me Daisy :) How are you doing?

you have absolutely not failed!!!
8 stone is a massive achievement.

Hope you had a good birthday last week

I'm doing OK. Still in a bit of shock about the westiegirl news, its really sad and has put some stuff into perspective for me - this obsession with food i have is not good, it takes up far too much of head space where i should be living for the moment more. life is short and you never know how long left you have on this planet - so to spend 90% of my time worrying about food when i have so much else in my life seems a bit ... i'm not sure what word to use here...shallow/pointless/depressing/self obsessing?

hmmmm
having said that tho i want to slim and healthy so i do need to control what i'm doing!

on day 4 of the re-introducing food after 4 weeks abstinence(which i didn't do, lol!) booklet and is going well. I'm a bit hungry as I'm not in ketosis, but being a bit hungry is good - i 'fear' being hungry and i need to learn i don't need to be full constantly.

thats me then...

glad to hearfrom you, it worries when people go awol, lol!

Daisy x

For a year I followed the SW plan, and noticed that on the odd occasion when I would 'treat' myself to the kind of high sugar/fat things I'd cut out, I would wake up the next morning with insatiable cravings for more of the same. Really extraordinary and noticeable effects, a sort of 'desperation' as you've phrased it, to consume more and more. Managing my eating would become enormously difficult for the following couple of weeks, where before I'd been breezing along quite happily. I went through this pattern about four or five times before it dawned on me that the effects I was experiencing after eating high sugar/fat foods were physiological - not psychological, as I'd assumed.
It’s quite alarming to actually notice these chances within the self, isn’t it? It’s not a PSYCHOLOGICAL change because you know you’d been perfectly fine around sugary fatty things before, not even tempted... Then the switch happens and there’s just this ‘tunnel vision’ on the food, all the time, wanting, craving, obsessing. And it only gets worse if the desire gets fed. I wouldn’t have believed such a change was possible before, but it really is. Knowing the effects really is the key to prevention. Though, in essence, it can be quite worrying to admit defeat – we do not have as much control as we hope, think, and perceive we do. There are so many chemical drivers present that we can’t possibly be aware of on a ‘conscious’ level.
For me, the idea that it's healthier to be able to have these things in moderation, learn to just have a bit and then choose to refrain, simply doesn't work. It's a bit like saying to someone who's managed to get off heroin - 'Fantastic, well done! Now, to show you REALLY have beaten it, we'd just like you to have a little bit of heroin now and again. Just a taste, you know, and then JUST SAY NO.
You know what? This bit really made me laugh out loud! It’s so true, and how I feel so much of the time. I’m glad that I’m not alone in this. It comforts me to know that people out there have also come to the same conclusions as I have. Food is a drug for some people, and unfortunately, for some bizarre reason some people’s chemistry reacts excessively to sugar and fat. It’s like... I gave up smoking fairly easily, the cravings were bad for about a month but it was do-able. A year later, I can’t even imagine why I smoked in the first place. I don’t crave alcohol or anything else... But some things... just can’t touch them. As I grow older I’ll come more and more to terms with it all I reckon, but KNOWING it now, so early does help.
---

MiniMimi2091 said:
When I do have a treat one day I just KNOW that I'll wake up next morning craving for even more of the junk. My whole body would try every possible trick in a book to get what it wants...Guess, what? Just learnt to say NO! Firm no! End off.
Fact that it happens every time I brake my sugar/carbs rules gives me the power to deal with it in appropriate manner... Power of knowledge, eh?.
I know this, and when I have long periods of not having the SUBSTANCE, one bite does no excessive harm and I can control myself. The problem starts only if I start allowing myself those things more regularly and a ‘build-up’ happens inside. With increasing quantities lingering inside the body – the harder it becomes to control oneself. So therein the problem lies. Because it’s been so long on this sugar-high, the build up I need to ‘get over’ is like a HUGE MOUNTAIN (a few months worth) instead of a small hill (produced perhaps by ONE or TWO overindulgent days). It’s not so bad though, I feel like I’m on the other side of this hill now. I’m getting back to where I want to be. Perseverance is the key, and I definitely don’t stop trying!!
I hope all is well with you though my dear, sounds like you have this whole thing absolutely sussed out. ;) It’s a great place to be!! :D

--

scotwannabethin said:
I am good for days, sticking to "healthy" food then it all goes horribly wrong. One little sweet turns into how much can I stuff into my face. Never mind that I am full, I feel full, uncomfortable full, but another bag of crisps won't do any harm now will it!!
:( It’s such a strange feeling isn’t it ... that compulsion to keep eating even when it physically hurts... because it becomes sort of like a punishment for the ‘failure’... Though, I think, the thing with it all is, there is no such thing as ‘good’ or ‘healthy’ or ‘bad’... Everything is equal, but finding that balance between all things is hard. I know not to touch bread as it drives me crazy. What’s worse is chocolate though. That I really don’t even go close to – not until I know I’m completely off my sugar dependence. Once it’s gone, I know I can control myself. I know I had an issue with open packets – I used to buy raisins in the little boxes. After a while though I realised I could easily control myself with a large bag and not eat the whole thing. It’s all about having patience and developing TRUST in yourself.
Right now, of course though, I don’t trust myself at all, so everything is gone from my house. Slowly as I regain my control things can come back. I’ve even asked my boyfriend to hide his snacks and he’s good like that. He understands.
I do wish you all the best Scott, it’s definitely hard, loving food so much, that feeling it gives. Part of me wishes I didn’t have to eat at all, so that I wouldn’t get stuck in the loop. But of course, we can’t do that. Two roads we can follow. Momentary Exhiliration when we over-indulge followed by nhappiness over our desire for control over our behaviour, bloatedness, and guilt cycles... or the other path of never quite being satisfied, never quite having what you want, but in the long-term happy because we’re doing what we can to be healthy and be able to live our lives with others.
Long-term or short-term gains? It’s hard, of course, to look beyond the moment we live in right now. But we must keep trying.
--
daisydoll said:
I'm doing OK. Still in a bit of shock about the westiegirl news, its really sad and has put some stuff into perspective for me - this obsession with food i have is not good, it takes up far too much of head space where i should be living for the moment more. life is short and you never know how long left you have on this planet - so to spend 90% of my time worrying about food when i have so much else in my life seems a bit ... i'm not sure what word to use here...shallow/pointless/depressing/self obsessing?

I was very saddened to hear of poor Westie passing away. :( She had always been such a strong and inspirational character here in Minimins... I know she’d supported me at the very beginning of my joining the board too... Though out of all bad things, some good things must come. And if it’s put some perspective in your life, then go for it. Life is short, and food in the great picture of it all, is insignificant. In a way, it’s more about – who we share that food with! It’s not all about our own over-indulgences and wants. We live our lives for others, never for ourselves, because ultimately, everything you give, comes back to you threefold. Karma and all that. Good and bad.

--

Apart from that... I am going strong. I keep on trying. And I have come to many conclusions. Being unrealistically thin and always obsessing over what I’ve eaten made me into a horrible person. I was always angry, controlling, harsh and cold, because I had absolutely no energy and I could never relax about anything... now.. I’ve gained a fair bit of weight – ok, so, not great. But I knew it would happen. I had PLANNED for it. I knew I was going to see a very difficult few months when ‘food control’ had to take a backseat because I just would not be able to deal with life otherwise. Ok, so none of my clothes fit and I do feel a bit podgy. But... I’m happy. This house I have moved into has indeed delivered the peace of mind I craved... The extra energy I have gained back in (fat stores!) actually gives me the energy to be able to laugh, to be happy, to play cat-and-mouse with my partner... I am a BETTER PERSON. Like, I’ve gained back the ability to love? ... and when you’re stuck in a loop of constantly berating yourself for having an extra piece of lettuce, the love goes out of the window. For yourself and especially for everyone else.
It’s a strange paradox. Food is addiction and darkness. But food also gives so much love and life. I need to find the balance, and I’m slowly getting there again.
I’m reusing the techniques I did before. If I feel a binge coming on, I stay with the veggies and I refuse to give my body what it ‘craves’ (i.e. sugar and bread). And slowly the body stops calling for binges because the chemicals are disappearing and are not getting refuelled. The binges are becoming fewer and further inbetween. They used to be everyday a few weeks back. Then they were every 2-3 days... Then, rarer... now, even less. They are becoming less severe too. I no longer stuff myself to the point that I can’t physically move... I know not to touch chocolate because that’s a killer. Bread I can deal with, but chocolate sends me into a blind overdrive.
My sweet-tooth is being fed with sugar-free candy and fruit-flavoured chewing gum. It satisfies that sweet thing I’m after without the chemical effects. So... we’re slowly getting there. One day at a time. The worst thing I could do is trying to eliminate EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE. It just doesn’t work that way. Tackle one issue at a time, and slowly it will all fall into place.
The main thing is to WANT to change though. I guess some previous attempts were sabotaged because I wasn’t ready to let go yet. Now I am though... I know this is where I want to be and want to stay here more than anything.
Well... We’ll see how it goes. I may of course still end up sabotaging myself a few more times, but, I still refuse to enter that guilt-blame cycle. Forgive, let go, learn from it, and move on. ... episodes further, and further and farther inbetween... it’s working.

:)

I’ll write something more constructive and in-depth later... I have a few bits and bobs floating around that I should share... But first I had to write a big thank you to all the wonderful people who read my drivel, and share your own experiences with me. Without your input, I don’t know where I’d be !!!
Thanks loads guys!! x

Last edited:
I wouldn’t have believed such a change was possible before, but it really is. Knowing the effects really is the key to prevention. Though, in essence, it can be quite worrying to admit defeat – we do not have as much control as we hope, think, and perceive we do. There are so many chemical drivers present that we can’t possibly be aware of on a ‘conscious’ level.

Well, I guess I'm teaching myself not to think of it as 'defeat', Min. The way I see it is this: we wouldn't say to an alcoholic 'you should be able to have one or two drinks like a normal person and just control yourself after that. If you can't do that, you've failed.' No, of course we don't - because we recognise that the alcoholic has an addiction with physiological as well as psychological, environmental and even genetic/hereditary elements that mean it's a great deal more difficult for him/her to handle alcohol than it is for most people who drink. Similarly, we wouldn't expect a heroin or cocaine addict to be able to indulge in those substances occasionally and then just walk away. We understand how those things react with the physiology and brain chemistry of some people, and we applaud them instead for having the enormous strength to choose to stay away from those things completely.

Thing is, years ago, when not as much was known about the physiological/chemical effects of alcohol on some people, those who became addicted to it were regarded in much the same way as obese people/chronic overeaters are now - weak characters who were choosing to behave in a certain way, and should just be able to control themselves like normal people. Our understanding of the physiological component of addiction increased, and so did our understanding of alcoholism. Personally I suspect that in 30 or 40 or 50 years time, we will know a great deal more about how refined sugars and fats in processed food impact on some people's physiology/brain chemistry, and that will change our understanding of food addiction in the same way it did alcoholism.

In the meantime, all I know is that I can choose not to eat certain things that I know will disrupt me mentally, physically and emotionally for days or weeks on end, taking me away from other, more interesting and profitable aspects of my life, and it takes strength to make that decision. I don't see it as a failure. I see it as a mature recognition that I don't want or need to put myself through a destructive and damaging pattern again and again, all in the service of some ideal of 'controlled indulgence'. Not everyone is the same, and we all have to find our own ways of dealing with things. :)

I think... that in essence... all this... isn't about food. :eek: Shocker, revelation, right? We ALL know it isn't about food, but that's what we concentrate on. We berate ourselves over the chocolate bar/cake whatever we've had. We concentrate on the ITEM. We forget the ROOT of the problem - the thing that made us reach for the cake/chocolate in the first place. All the exercise and the guilt feeling we bring back to the thing we've eaten, and forever more that item will be the thing we run to when we get those feelings again.

I've been trying something different over the last few weeks. Ok, I DO feel disgustingly fat, inadequate, ashamed blah blah blah - but, I'm also trying not to let it stop me from enjoying life and remaning calm and positive. I'm being more loving towards my partner (even if I recoil inside when he touches me because I feel so disgusting!), and I push through the negative feelings. I have to.
I know the root of the problem of overeating is that we don't feel that we're worthy enough to be 'saved'. We've lost self-belief because we've slipped up. That constant voice telling me how worthless, pathetic, fat etc etc inside my head definitely is a driver to just stuff my face. And no amount of forced dieting will make it go away - because as I've found out, even at my thinnest that voice was still there, louder than ever.
So I need to take steps to calm that voice down, make myself feel that I'm worth saving. Because more often that not, this self-hatred sabotages any attempt at trying to fix this.

Hm... But how do I make me like 'me'? It's a toughie. Ignoring half the comments that hatred inside shouts at me is possible. There's only so much avoiding mirrors you can do though!

I guess I'm trying to find solace in my partner and trying to enjoy life, my house, the garden, ignoring the voices inside. Ok, so my fat is hanging over the edge of my jeans which feel a little too tight for comfort... but, the arms around me from my partner feel better... so I concentrate on that.

I think, slowly, it's working. Plus I'm listening to my stomach a little more again. The amount of food I consumed in one sitting a few weeks ago, I can't imagine how I did it? I mean literally it was about (prepare to be disgusted) 'a pack of Hobnobs, a large tube of Pringles, large bag of Doritos, 6 chocolate bars, a baguette sandwich, 6 apples' ... and that was one sitting. I know I still had more later. And that was day in, day out for a few weeks, that and more. Some days I'd have like 15 chocolate bars, 3 sandwiches, a large pack of nuts, 3 bags of crisps... something to that effect, and then to hide that I'd been eating the whole time, for an effort at 'normality and pretence' I'd have dinner with my partner later. ... It's becoming less and less, I am LOOKING at the food in front of me again and judging if it's going to be too much. So much of the time we don't 'see' the food anymore, we just stuff it down without thinking of how full it will make us feel, and god, I do not want to be so full that I can't physically move. It's so painful.

Hmm... While I still do slip up with a whole pack of biscuits in one go, I don't beat myself up about it. Because it's only ONE pack of biscuits instead of THREE a few weeks ago, PLUS 2 slices of cake, PLUS a large French Stick. Gotta think POSITIVE right? It's all reducing down, slowly but surely I eat less and less of the things - I don't avoid them. If I want it, I have it, however, I actually THINK about the consequences - which makes me put stuff back.

This sort of mentality of 'have it if you want it', rather than 'depriving' works because - personally, if I deprive myself - that means that it will only make me 'hoard' it all later (i.e. not having ONE biscuit when I want it, will make me go and eat 10 instead, 'to save up' for future losses). If I have what I want, when I want, the state of deprivation isn't there. If that state isn't there, it signals to my brain that the craved food item will still be there later if I want it, so there's no essential need to have it now - or all of it for that matter. .... if that makes any sense? :rolleyes: And it's working. I eat less and less of these things because I know that there is "a later", they will still be there tomorrow.

Hmm... I'm glad life is becoming more normal... Maybe not as quickly as I'd like - I mean I'd love to be size 10 again in the blink of an eye!! But realistically that won't happen for a good 6 months yet. Never rush these things, all good things come to those who wait. The mind needs to be in the right place before anything can happen... there's no way of hurrying this step along... and no need to either. Everything in good time. Calm. Patience. The great span of things, life ahead is unravelling. A few more days/weeks here, preparing for the great beyond is time well spent.
xx

Last edited:
personally, if I deprive myself - that means that it will only make me 'hoard' it all later (i.e. not having ONE biscuit when I want it, will make me go and eat 10 instead, 'to save up' for future losses). If I have what I want, when I want, the state of deprivation isn't there. xx

That is something I learned a long time ago and I find it so true. IN past diets, at some stage I would crave pizza. But, I was not "allowed" it.

So, I ate "areound" the pizza. Ice cream one day. Crisps another. Maybe a burger - some chocolate - whatever - all OTHER things I was not "allowed" either.

ANd then, ultimately gave in and ate the pizza!

SO it is better to have a little, and be happy - then as you say - wait till later and become destructive.

It is a hard one to put into practice thugh because dieting and denying can beome so ingrained in human nature.

Good luck Min.:)
x

Hi BL :) How are you coping? Looking over your blog over the last few days, I have to tell you – that you’re very inspirational. While maybe, you are finding all of this extremely difficult you seem to be coping fantastically well. Sometimes ‘seeming to be coping’ is all that’s needed, that little lie that one puts out to the world of being 100% ‘OK’ soon becomes reality. Time does heal wounds, and you are tackling your head demons straight on. By addressing the little weight gain now you are in the long term reducing the additional grief.
By knowing what you’ve been through, I have to thank you. Knowing someone else out there has gone through similar troubles over the last couple of months as I have, makes me feel less lonely. I’d been left somewhat homeless, lost my grandfather and been incredibly stressed with University and house buying, so in my case, the careful watch over how much I eat had also taken a back seat. It’s strange, how when there’s just too much sh*t that falls on our heads we turn to food. ... It seems to drown all sorrows; I had lost days in the food bucket. I started eating in the early morning, eating all day, and somehow it was night time before I knew it. I didn’t have to deal with life or the deeply troubling emotions I was running from. While food made me ‘forget’ it also made things worse. I was feeling ill and bloated – but for a moment, making myself feel ill meant I didn’t have to think about how much emotional pain I was in. Self-destruction was the main focus, if only for a while.

This experience has taught me many things. Gaining weight isn’t the end of the world. And admittedly I didn’t deal with things as I should have, but it’s not a weakness. Admitting your flaws at such an early stage is strength because we are not running anymore. We want to learn from it, fix it and move on. I have no intention of burying my head in the sand and letting it spiral.

I have learnt also, something else. How the mind distorts what we see. It’s troubling.

Throughout the weight-loss process I took pictures of myself every once in a while, and I remember after every single one always thinking: ‘I could lose a bit more, I’m still fat’. Looking back at them now, I don’t know why I thought this. But it also gave me perspective. Having a record of both ends of the spectrum has given me the opportunity to look at what I looked like OBJECTIVELY and now I can truly tell where my weight is best at. I look healthiest at about 9st (126 lbs) and admittedly whenever I passed this weight mark I FELT GREAT too, not just in my mind, but also how my body felt and looked. Anything above or below didn’t feel right. I have readjusted my ‘Goal Weight’ to this figure now, and I have something to aim for again. I am determined, I only really have to lose 20 lbs which isn’t much. It’s very doable! I'm not going to do it quickly, but rather, slowly, naturally, without really counting or punishing myself. Just 'watching' from a distance and making sure I don't over do things. :)

The reason for all this... I’m glad I have come through so many extremes, it’s really given me perspective. Today I looked over those old pictures and I came across one that truly scared the sh*t out of me. I thought I still had more to lose, I still thought I was ‘big’ here, at BMI 18. I remember I could actually see my ribcage through my skin even where my breasts 'should' have been. But, something inside still wasn't happy. :/

25Jan2010_01.jpg

This is how the mind can distort your thinking, so, never go too far. Learn to love what you have as I’m doing now, even though at the moment I’m on the larger side of a size 12! I feel this extra weight because I’m still comparing myself to the person above, so the weight gain FEELS worse than it is. And I’m ok with that. I’m slowly learning life isn’t just about controlling food or how big or small we think we are, it’s about LIFE ITSELF. I’m young, I guess I am still gathering experiences about all this stuff, even if it’s the hard way. Slowly, step by step I’m getting there.

Hmmm... :) 20 lbs to go! Woot!

Last edited:
Wow, Min .... that photo is quite scary indeed. I thought your weight was getting a bit low for your height, but goodness - had no idea you were that thin. It's frightening that you still thought you were 'big'.

That sort of helps to put this perception thing in focus for me. I hit my original goal weight last week, but found myself thinking 'now I'm here, I'm still way overweight. I could do with losing another stone or so.' Hmm. :confused:

I'm so relieved you've come back from that scary place, love. You'll find what's right for you, I know you will. Just a question of time.

blimey min, you were really not looking too healthy were you.
it is crazy what your mind sees, i'm glad you are getting yourself back to a better place.
daisy x

Back